Waived: Canucks claim D Ryan Stanton from CHI

Wetcoaster

What do you mean, "in this manner"?

Every dollar you are under the cap is essentially amplified at the trade deadline. I don't have the actual numbers on me, but let's pretend the season is exactly 80 games and the trade deadline happens with 20 games left. If you run $2M under the cap for the first 60 games, you can acquire $8M in salary at the trade deadline because $8M over 20 games is the same salary as $2M over 80 games.

The math was super simplified there because I'm too lazy to actually look up how many games happen before/after the trade deadline but that's essentially how it works. The only thing that doesn't help save cap space is LTIR - putting a player on LTIR lets you exceed the cap by their cap hit (eg. if Booth goes down, we can go 4.2M over the cap while he's on LTIR) but you still only save cap space by how much you're below the actual cap.

Without running the actual math, I think if we waived Alberts now (and didn't replace him at all), we'd be piling up roughly $2.4M to use at the deadline. Very rough math and misleading because we'd almost certainly call up a forward making as much as him to replace him if he was sent down.
Excellent analysis and as you say it would make no difference as Alberts would be replaced on the roster with a player most likely with a similar cap hit.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If Stanton can bring a similar defensive game to Alberts and has better fighting skills then this is already a win. I admire Alberts' effort level, but the guy is just not that good. He's fine in a pinch, but I want him nowhere near regular ice time. Obviously the organization really likes what it has seen from Stanton if he's getting a top-six spot right off the waiver wire.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Well the caps down and no team has much cap space to do anything. We shouldnt be expecting much with a bit over 2m in space as of a few days ago, and teams usually stay around 700 000 below the cap, which means we might have 1.5 to spend, were not getting anything besides depth with that and thats basically what is happening.

The only way were not value village gm'ing is if we trade an important piece or a big contract, and it may happen, but i think gillis wants to see what he has under torts the next few months.

Agreed. Unless part of the core is moved, there is simply not enough to go around. Adding that the top 4 d and 5 of the 6 top 6 forwards have no trades, the only thing that CAN be done is bargain bin finds. This is where pro scouting are going to show their worth.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Still can't believe this guy's loyalty, willingness to take an obvious pay cut, and work put in all goes to waste after 3 poor pre-season games. That mean nothing at all.

We've gone through a full season and a half of Manny Maholtra being a black hole, Andrew Ebbett doing nothing, Tom Sestito being Tom Sestito, amongst other things, and "fans" harp on Andrew Alberts. It's bewildering.

I doubt Alberts took a pay cut.
Canucks rewarded him with a one-way deal.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I doubt Alberts took a pay cut.
Canucks rewarded him with a one-way deal.

Yeah, the fact a guy like Raymond had to play his way onto the Leafs via a PTO, I highly doubt there were any suitors for a guy like Alberts. It took a lot of better defensemen a long time to find contracts. Even if Alberts received contract offers from other teams (which I actually doubt) I'd wager they would be in the same ballpark as what he signed for here. He did not take a pay cut ... the market paid him what he's worth ... basically league minimum.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Going to be a very underrated pickup IMO. He's been playing very well, and even saw some minutes in OT. Torts is already gaining confidence in him. This Tanev and Stanton third pairing is damn solid.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
he has been very steady and good so far. younger/better than alberts.

Puts Alberts where he belongs - as a #7 guy. I don't have a problem with him in that spot on the depth charts (considering his cap hit is close to the minimum).

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
He is the type of depth d man i really like.

Stay at home, that has some grit and can fight. We really dont need an offensive d man as a bottom pair, we just need simple defensive guy.

With him in the line up not sure how much we need sestito, stanton might not be a pure brawler but he can fight. Bieksa and weiss can also fight.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Stanton doesn't have a terrible first pass either. When he and Tanev were with the Sedins, Stanton was able to start the rush by moving the puck swiftly and smartly to a forward/Sedin to get started in the offensive zone. Simple, yet effective.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
What do you mean, "in this manner"?

Every dollar you are under the cap is essentially amplified at the trade deadline. I don't have the actual numbers on me, but let's pretend the season is exactly 80 games and the trade deadline happens with 20 games left. If you run $2M under the cap for the first 60 games, you can acquire $8M in salary at the trade deadline because $8M over 20 games is the same salary as $2M over 80 games.

I don't see that as "accumulating" cap space. If a team is $2M under the cap with 20 games left, they can make a move exactly as you've described, but that's not because the team has "accumulated" space over the course of the season. It's because the other team has paid most of the player's salary. But your explanation makes clear that the difference in our understandings is a trivial one, involving only what "accumulating cap space" means and not what teams can do.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Lot's of praise from Coach Torts about Stanton in his post game comments. Words like jam and moxy even came into play.

arsmaster*

Pleasantly surprised, and to echo many of the other statements, I absolutely love the fact he seems to be searching out a break out pass instead of an off the glass clear.

Got the puck going the other direction smoothly all night long.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As is the general sentiment it seems, pleasantly surprised. Really nothing to complain about with Stanton so far. Just goes out and punches his time card, logs his minutes, goes home. Not much more you can ask from a waiver wire depth d-man pickup.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Rome-like without the coach man-crush. I have really liked Stanton thus far.

Valid comparison although so far Stanton seems better able to move forward more quickly to shorten his passes and get up to the line to support the play. I felt the big negative with Rome was that he frequently allowed too big gap to form between him and the forwards. Thus ended up making lots of long passes from deep in his zone or slamming the puck out off the wall.

Stanton has not looked out of place at all. I guess its an indication of just how good and deep the Hawks defense is.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
Pleasantly surprised, and to echo many of the other statements, I absolutely love the fact he seems to be searching out a break out pass instead of an off the glass clear.

Got the puck going the other direction smoothly all night long.

Yup I agree, has a solid first pass and can skate pretty well too.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I've liked Stanton's play. He's invisible. Makes the the right, safe play and gets the puck out of the zone. He's doesn't make glaring mistakes like Alberts and he's more mobile.

He's pretty much what you'd want in a number 6 guy.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I've liked Stanton's play. He's invisible. Makes the the right, safe play and gets the puck out of the zone. He's doesn't make glaring mistakes like Alberts and he's more mobile.

He's pretty much what you'd want in a number 6 guy.

^this. So far, Aaron Rome who doesn't have the coaches' unconditional love... yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad