Waived: Canucks claim D Ryan Stanton from CHI

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I'm not so sure Alberts would clear waivers. He's got 449 games of NHL experience. He had a terrible pre-season, but another team might be willing to give him a shot. If Alberts were in a similar position with another team, I suspect the Canucks would consider it too.

Especially considering the fact that he makes just a little above the league minimum.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Another useless piece by the continually declining Canucks Army:

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/9/30/canucks-claim-d-ryan-stanton-off-waivers

What useful analysis by a guy who has never seen him play and whose extent of scouting is basically looking up some stats on BehindTheNet.

Completely agree, but cam charron prefers to just use stats he finds over analyzing or actually watching games and also forming opinions based on play he has seen, and some people on twitter look at him like hes jonah hill in moneyball for some reason applying it to hockey. I dont know why he even wrote that if he admits he doesn't really know anything about him then for a stats guy makes the assumption he is probably not better then the other 7 d we have (alberts and weber), thats something we should judge when we see him play in comparison to how weber and alberts are playing because so far I have not liked either that much this season, although I think alberts may get more consistent as the season goes on, but he looked so bad in pre season. In comparison I thought he looked fine last season.

Take his opinion on stats if people wish, but dont put stock into anything more he has to say. Hawks fans on the main board dont seem happy to have lost him for whatever its worth.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 4m
Q on Stanton being claimed by #Canucks: "It's good for him to actually get the chance. He's going to play at this level right off the bat."

For whatever this is worth as well.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I am very hopeful he can take Alberts spot and maybe bring some toughness back there.

Interested to see what he brings, hopefully a safe game with the ability to protect Lu and stick up for guys.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 4m
Q on Stanton being claimed by #Canucks: "It's good for him to actually get the chance. He's going to play at this level right off the bat."

For whatever this is worth as well.
By Q I'm assuming it's Quenneville?

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
Hawks fan here. I liked Stanton whenever I got to watch him and it seemed like he was in place to make the team this year, but the re-signing of Michal Rozsival over the summer and the play of Mike Kostka in training camp basically pushed him out. Stanton is a stay at home, shot blocking type. I thought he was very good positionally in his own end.

Stanton is also left handed, and the Hawks have always been looking for more right handed D, which Kostka is. I don't think this is a situation of Kostka necessarily being a better player than Stanton, just that Kostka's game was more to the type that the Hawks run in their system. They wanted a puck-moving D who could play the point on the PP, and Kostka will probably be getting some work there.

I think Stanton could be a solid bottom pairing player in the NHL and I'm sad to see him go, but I am glad that he will be getting a legitimate shot to play this year. I believe he was the only Black Ace player that the Blackhawks gave a Cup ring to this year. He was very well liked by his teammates in Rockford and Chicago. Treat him well.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So instead of actually acquiring solid depth guys in the offseason, Gillis' plan is rummage through everyone else's garbage and fill out roster with other teams' waiver fodder?

Outstanding.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Hawks fan here. I liked Stanton whenever I got to watch him and it seemed like he was in place to make the team this year, but the re-signing of Michal Rozsival over the summer and the play of Mike Kostka in training camp basically pushed him out. Stanton is a stay at home, shot blocking type. I thought he was very good positionally in his own end.

Stanton is also left handed, and the Hawks have always been looking for more right handed D, which Kostka is. I don't think this is a situation of Kostka necessarily being a better player than Stanton, just that Kostka's game was more to the type that the Hawks run in their system. They wanted a puck-moving D who could play the point on the PP, and Kostka will probably be getting some work there.

I think Stanton could be a solid bottom pairing player in the NHL and I'm sad to see him go, but I am glad that he will be getting a legitimate shot to play this year. I believe he was the only Black Ace player that the Blackhawks gave a Cup ring to this year. He was very well liked by his teammates in Rockford and Chicago. Treat him well.

How would you say his outlet passing is from his own zone? Is he an 'off the glass and out' type or can he make a heads-up pass?

Thanks.

Betamax*

So instead of actually acquiring solid depth guys in the offseason, Gillis' plan is rummage through everyone else's garbage and fill out roster with other teams' waiver fodder?

Outstanding.

Maybe GMMG wants to find this century's Canucks version of Martin Gelinas by going this route.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

Outstanding.

Why are people commenting on these guys when they haven't seen them play?

Gillis could have gone after more tweener journeymen NHL'ers ala Alberts/Ebbett, but instead, is looking to bring in young players that could grow with the team and improve. Seems like a risk worth taking when you consider how little you typically get out of the league minimum vets...

I just hope Alberts gets waived in favour of Stanton. Not as high on these 'solid depth guys' as others apparently.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Outstanding.

Not sure why that is a problem considering he is going to be our 7-8th Dman. It's not like we are picking up waiver players to play on the 1st paring.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Outstanding.

Standard practice of going through waivers to find players to fill depth chart... more so when you're taking players off a deep team (like the Hawks are). Using NFL as an example, you see this happens all the time when elite teams cut players, they are often picked up instantly by other teams and sometime even placed into a starting role. Just because a player hits waiver doesn't mean they shouldn't be in the NHL nor does it mean they are not better than some players that actually made the team (that waived them).

Martin St. Louis would be a poster boy example of this but there are many others who hit waivers and savage a decent career. Even on our own roster, our 4th line is made of players (well 2/3 but i think Santorelli was on waiver too last year if you count him as the 4th line center instead of 3rd) we picked up off waivers who now would likely be claimed if we were to waive them.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why are people commenting on these guys when they haven't seen them play?

Gillis could have gone after more tweener journeymen NHL'ers ala Alberts/Ebbett, but instead, is looking to bring in young players that could grow with the team and improve. Seems like a risk worth taking when you consider how little you typically get out of the league minimum vets...

I just hope Alberts gets waived in favour of Stanton. Not as high on these 'solid depth guys' as others apparently.

That's what i'm saying though. There is no, 'but instead'. Gillis has filled the bottom end of our roster with more Alberts, Ebbetts, Webers, etc. Journeyman NHLers at best. He spent the summer diddling around and eventually decided to sign...Andrew Alberts again. Only to replace him with some other waiver wire project because Alberts was terrible.

Standard practice of going through waivers to find players to fill depth chart... more so when you're taking players off a deep team (like the Hawks are). Using NFL as an example, you see this happens all the time when elite teams cut players, they are often picked up instantly by other teams and sometime even placed into a starting role. Just because a player hits waiver doesn't mean they shouldn't be in the NHL nor does it mean they are not better than some players that actually made the team (that waived them).

Martin St. Louis would be a poster boy example of this but there are many others who hit waivers and savage a decent career. Even on our own roster, our 4th line is made of players (well 2/3 but i think Santorelli was on waiver too last year if you count him as the 4th line center instead of 3rd) we picked up off waivers who now would likely be claimed if we were to waive them.

I don't really think the NFL comparison is particularly relevant. The NFL system is very different from what we have in the NHL.

But in regards to nabbing players from a 'deep team' like the Hawks...sure, but my complaint is that Gillis still hasn't managed to make the CANUCKS into the sort of deep team where other organizations are eyeing up our waiver fodder in anticipation. Gillis is essentially letting other (deeper, better) organizations decide which sort of players might be available for our roster. It's begging for table scraps, and that's pretty poor considering how long Gillis has been here to develop our 'depth'.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
off the glass type

The less Stanton handles puck the better

The Aaron Rome comparisons might carry some weight then. :laugh:

Thanks to the Hawks' fans for their input in this thread. I'm curious to watch Stanton play. I have a hard time fathoming how someone - anyone - could play worse than Alberts did in this preseason.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
That's what i'm saying though. There is no, 'but instead'. Gillis has filled the bottom end of our roster with more Alberts, Ebbetts, Webers, etc. Journeyman NHLers at best. He spent the summer diddling around and eventually decided to sign...Andrew Alberts again. Only to replace him with some other waiver wire project because Alberts was terrible.

Stanton and Dalpe aren't journeyman though, they're prospects. They're the anti-Alberts/Ebbetts...

I don't know why it's surprising to some people the depth took a hit this offseason. The cap went down dramatically and the Canucks have a veteran team locked up to market value type contracts. there wasn't any conceivable way they were going to upgrade depth this offseason...

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Hansen
Higgens Santorelli Kassian
Richardson Dalpe Weise
Schroeder
Sestito

Hamhuis Tanev
Garrison Bieksa
Edler Stanton/Weber
Alberts

Luongo
Lack

Where exactly are people seeing this 'horrid depth'? 3rd line centre is the only glaring hole I see - filling that hole without cap space, nor wanting to move quality youth was going to make it very difficult.

The hole at 3C has likely been filled longterm with the addition of Horvat. Unfortunately, we likely have to wait one more year for that to happen.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I don't really think the NFL comparison is particularly relevant. The NFL system is very different from what we have in the NHL.

But in regards to nabbing players from a 'deep team' like the Hawks...sure, but my complaint is that Gillis still hasn't managed to make the CANUCKS into the sort of deep team where other organizations are eyeing up our waiver fodder in anticipation. Gillis is essentially letting other (deeper, better) organizations decide which sort of players might be available for our roster. It's begging for table scraps, and that's pretty poor considering how long Gillis has been here to develop our 'depth'.

You have to be realistic considering the cap crunch this year. Because of the cap crunch, you NEED to figure out where you want to spend money and to be honest, we shouldn't spend that much on our 7-8th D or on our 4th line. We signed Alberts to almost a league min contract, I am pretty sure all the other D signed near league min will perform similar to Alberts.

Yeah technically we could've gotten more depth through the UFA market but then if we are signing anyone of quality, the contract is going to be inflated and that will only make things worse especially during a cap crunch season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
*sigh* Okay, the Value Village GMing is getting on my nerves.

If Gillis can preserve capspace he might be one of the few playoff GMs with the ability to make a deadline trades. We could add some quality players at bargain prices since we wouldn't be bidding against the usual playoff contenders at the deadline. So while the diddling around with bargain bin guys might suck for now it could pay off big later.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Its a different system but i'm just using that as another example (a bit more extreme) of how a player on the waiver doesn't actually mean they can't play... regardless of sport (even basketball will have the odd waiver-wire/cut/summer league player that ends up contributing/getting into a team's rotation).

As far as developing depth goes, sometime the problem with that is the city we live in. Vancouver is a great city to live in but its also a 1 sport city with a lot of pressure on the NHL team... aka we haven't been "sellers" for years (pretty much since MG took over) and for the most part, before MG took over, we were constant buyers too under BB/DN era. When you're not a seller for all these years, you're not going to be able to hoard nearly as many picks as teams like Chicago (who seem to sell after each cup win and built their core from losing and also back then hoarding picks).

Honestly i said it before and i'll say it again... there's almost no chance MG will survive a rebuild here unless he wins a cup first so as far as depth goes, his only way of getting depth is via UFA signing (and he did make a few), waiver/trade (and with the trade route, likely giving up draft picks), or hoping his limited draft picks develop (and a couple have showed signs/promise). Honestly out of all the recent GMs we had, MG might have been the best in terms of developing/drafting/signing players and continue to ice a very competitive team because of this. His only weakness seems to be his inability to make big deals work (as more often than not, they seem to backfire, aka Ballard, Booth, etc and i have a feeling it'll extend from Florida to NJD).

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the input!

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
*sigh* Okay, the Value Village GMing is getting on my nerves.

If he shows better than Alberts, it'll have been worth it. I don't see what the big deal is.

If Gillis can preserve capspace he might be one of the few playoff GMs with the ability to make a deadline trades. We could add some quality players at bargain prices since we wouldn't be bidding against the usual playoff contenders at the deadline. So while the diddling around with bargain bin guys might suck for now it could pay off big later.

They'd have to waive Alberts right away if they want to maximize the cap space they'll have at the deadline won't they? Good thinking though.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I like how basically any time the Canucks lose a player on waivers it's a horrible loss and awful asset management and that player was super good and then posters complain loudly for the next five years about how this wouldn't have happened if that idiot Gillis hadn't waived Joey Turnbull back in October of '76.

When the Canucks pick someone up from waivers, though, it's automatically a trash player because only trash players and castoffs end up on waivers and this is the worst decision since that time back in '76 when they waived that stud Joey Turnbull.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Ok, so I watched this guys fights from last year and it looks like he can throw them with both hands so if he sticks up for his teammates and not be too much of defensive liability, I give him a shot over Alberts for sure. Virtually the same size as Bieksa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad