Prospect Info: Canucks C Daimon Gardner draft 4th Round, 112th Overall, 2022 Entry Draft

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another guy still on the board late, who was rated higher in this year's draft. Some scouting services had him going between 54-60 in the third round. So getting him with the 112th pick in the fourth round has to be considered a 'win'.

I suppose the reason he dropped was that he spent his entire draft year in Minnesota high school hockey, and didn't exactly set the world on fire during a brief audition in the USHL. But I'm sure the Canuck scouts got a good long look at him and liked the upside. And the fact he's a natural center doesn't hurt either.

Canucks have drafted a couple of other guys out of high school hockey; Patrick McNally and Jack Rathbone. Hopefully Gardner's development is closer to Rathbone's.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Another guy still on the board late, who was rated higher in this year's draft. Some scouting services had him going between 54-60 in the third round. So getting him with the 112th pick in the fourth round has to be considered a 'win'.

I suppose the reason he dropped was that he spent his entire draft year in Minnesota high school hockey, and didn't exactly set the world on fire during a brief audition in the USHL. But I'm sure the Canuck scouts got a good long look at him and liked the upside. And the fact he's a natural center doesn't hurt either.

Canucks have drafted a couple of other guys out of high school hockey; Patrick McNally and Jack Rathbone. Hopefully Gardner's development is closer to Rathbone's.

Those two came out of prep school, which is IIRC a different circuit. The last player the Canucks took out of Minnesota High School might have been Pat White. Maybe LaBate?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Kind of reminds me of the Keppen and Kunz picks a couple of years ago. Late round guys who are labled as powerforwards who we may never see until 4/5 years down the road

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kind of reminds me of the Keppen and Kunz picks a couple of years ago. Late round guys who are labled as powerforwards who we may never see until 4/5 years down the road
Guys like that are a ways out.
Even Blake Coleman (not a power forward) he didn’t play in the nhl for a while. He was drafted in 2011 but he was eligible in 2010. Then 4 full years in ncaa. Mostly injured as a first year pro. Second year pro 2/3 in A and 1/3 in nhl. So he’s a guy who only saw like 20 odd nhl games in his D+7 season (from when he was drafted eligible). Guys drafted after round 2, can take them awhile if they ever do make it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Unless I misunderstood him, I don't think he's playing in Chilliwack next year? Pretty sure he said that on the radio yesterday.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Unless I misunderstood him, I don't think he's playing in Chilliwack next year? Pretty sure he said that on the radio yesterday.

I think you’re right. Canucks Army’s Chris Faber has this update:

“UPDATE: It’s up to development now, Gardner is set to play next season in the USHL before making the jump to the NCAA. We will see if he stays at centre because in the short amount of time we spent watching him in the USHL, he was playing left wing.”

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think you’re right. Canucks Army’s Chris Faber has this update:

“UPDATE: It’s up to development now, Gardner is set to play next season in the USHL before making the jump to the NCAA. We will see if he stays at centre because in the short amount of time we spent watching him in the USHL, he was playing left wing.”
USHL probably a better option than bchl. There’s only 16 teams there and 17 in bc and the USHL draws upon all of the USA. Probably a higher quality of competition there. There’s like 80 or more of these tier ii teams throughout Canada. Majority of the 16-18 year olds are in the chl.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I'm disappointed that he'll not be playing in my backyard. It would have been fun to give you guys my worthless opinion on a regular basis.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
3 points in 14 USHL games last season is hugely concerning. If this guy doesn't absolutely torch the BCHL next season you can basically write him off as a prospect.

Not a fan of drafting big guys that can't produce. Loser strategy. This dude and Dorrington qualify.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
3 points in 14 USHL games last season is hugely concerning. If this guy doesn't absolutely torch the BCHL next season you can basically write him off as a prospect.

Not a fan of drafting big guys that can't produce. Loser strategy. This dude and Dorrington qualify.

Daniel Gee indicated that his underlying play was much stronger than his point total. I have no idea how many minutes he played or anything like that in such a small sample between 2 teams, so for now I’m going to defer to the scouts who had him ranked in the range of where he was drafted. Hopefully he turns out.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

See posts 56 & 57 above. Apparently he will not be playing in Chilliwack after all, which is unfortunate for those of us who live there. And 4th round picks have about 20% chance of having an NHL career. We can hope.

1657469394179.png

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

He’s staying in the USHL and not going to the BCHL.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

The difference is Rathbone was a smaller player with elite skating skills whereas Gardner sounds like the typical player who was bigger than everyone he played against. Every sport is littered with the latter type of player who could dominate under 18 competition with their size, but struggled when they moved up. Hopefully Gardner won't turn out to be the myriad of prospects who struggle when they face competition who are just as big and fast.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008

My understanding is that he joined teams late in the season and was mostly used in spot duty. I suspect he played very few minutes and was mostly stapled to the bottom of the line up.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Big fan of this pick.

Wrote about him earlier this year for McKeen's (subscribers only):

In a nutshell, Gardner has just a very intriguing package of size and skill. Skates well for his size. Really shows promise dominating the middle and is tough to stop in transition. Was a lot better at the USHL level than the stats would indicate. He was creating chances.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It's a long shot but with is physical attributes, I'm hoping for a nick Paul type development from him

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Take seven full years to become a full time NHL player and run out of team control right when he starts contributing?
outside of first rounders, majority of kids that you draft you end up with only 4/5 years of NHL team control. UFA at 27, so if they don't get to the NHL by 22, it's a short period of time.

Coleman went 6 years after he was drafted (and he was drafted a year after he was eligible) to play in the NHL.

Colton Ross was drafted in 2016, but with a Sept 11, 1996 birthday, he was draft eligible in 2014. Played 30/56 NHL last season during the Covid year, so he made the NHL at what would be his D+6 season. But, because he won't turn 27 until after June 30, TB holds his rights for another season until 2025.

Canucks will only hold Gardner's rights up to June 2031. Best case is probably a year in USHL, then minimum of 2 at Clarkson, but realistically 3.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Take seven full years to become a full time NHL player and run out of team control right when he starts contributing?
He was developed and ultimately moved for a decent return so that would be fine with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad