Prospect Info: Canucks C Daimon Gardner draft 4th Round, 112th Overall, 2022 Entry Draft

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
How is he going undrafted with numbers like that? He's not even big either

I mean...it's High School hockey. That's the point. lol. There are certain sort of "hotbed" HS Prep School leagues in Minnesota and Massachusetts and stuff where HS hockey is taken pretty seriously, and a little bit more "competitive". But in a lot of places across the US...it's like...think of House League hockey in Canada. But probably worse. Maybe think...The Mighty Ducks (the movie team). Like yeah, guys are gonna score a few goals on Goldberg.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Believe it or not, those numbers are kinda unremarkable for USHS.

There are a number of guys who had 3+ PPG who will go undrafted. Check out this dude, for example.
There are massive massive differences in level of play between states, and probably within states as well. I'm guessing illinois is considerably weaker than minnesota at the hs level. Leading scorers in minnesota: Elite Prospects - USHS-MN Stats 2021-2022

Reactions: Red

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
There are massive massive differences in level of play between states, and probably within states as well. I'm guessing illinois is considerably weaker than minnesota at the hs level. Leading scorers in minnesota: Elite Prospects - USHS-MN Stats 2021-2022

My point remains. Five players on that list out-produced him in terms of PPG and were undrafted. I didn't say his numbers were bad, just that they aren't as eye-popping as you might think if you're not used to looking at USHS stats.

Edit: Actually he ranks tenth, although Plante was drafted by Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Dufresne

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Believe it or not, those numbers are kinda unremarkable for USHS.

There are a number of guys who had 3+ PPG who will go undrafted. Check out this dude, for example.

Is his EP page accurate?

114 games across 4 levels. So he played 53 games in AAA and had underwhelming stats, but the then turned into Gretzky when he played at the highschool level?

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
It's a good pick for the 4th round. Any player in round 4+(realistically 3+) you are expecting 4+ years of development before they hit NHL, if they ever do.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Had a mini documentary on him when he was 9 years old:

So he goes to play for a vancouver based team at the Brick tournament. A tournament for 9 year olds, and this is how many future nhl picks played there, including another Canuck pick and 6 first rounders:
That's just nuts!

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Had a mini documentary on him when he was 9 years old:

So he goes to play for a vancouver based team at the Brick tournament. A tournament for 9 year olds, and this is how many future nhl picks played there, including another Canuck pick and 6 first rounders:
That's just nuts!

It's kind of crazy how many of those players in the tournament ended up getting drafted

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
6'4 man/child with skill. This pick has "Potential" written all over it.

I like it.

Indeed, it’s going to be interesting to follow his progress. Nice that he’ll be playing so close next season, should be a lot easier to gain scouting reports on that most of the prospects we get.

Ditto for Young, for that matter.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Indeed, it’s going to be interesting to follow his progress. Nice that he’ll be playing so close next season, should be a lot easier to gain scouting reports on that most of the prospects we get.

Ditto for Young, for that matter.
Personally prefer kids that just got drafted to head to college. McNally, Rathbone, Kunz, all did like USHL level hockey after their draft year.

With Gardner, his USHL numbers are not good so he wouldn’t be ncaa ready next season.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
How much better is AJML or whatever league Makar played in his draft year vs the BCHL? Newhook played bchl right?

Hopefully we fluke out and he pans out into a getzlaf or kopitar. Lol

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How much better is AJML or whatever league Makar played in his draft year vs the BCHL? Newhook played bchl right?

Hopefully we fluke out and pans out into a getzlaf or kopitar. Lol
Same level. All provinces have the equivalent of the BCHL.

USHL a better league simply due to the number of teams.
USHL is like 16 teams.
BCHL is 17.
Alberta, Sask, MB, ON, Quebec also have their leagues. So, likely 80 plus teams.

More quality players for USHL players to play with. A bit more spread out, thus thinner in Canadian Tier II.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
A huge centerman, who always goes hard to the net, looking for tip ins and deflections. Been awhile since the Canucks had a player like that in their system. I'm sure Gardner is not done growing, possibly 6'5 220 when all said and done? Could be a monster. Love this pick due to the high end potential that this kid has. Maybe a modern day Jim Sandlak on the roster in the upcoming years, we shall see.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I'm with y'all, this one is intriguing. Not sure about the path he's taking tho, would prefer anywhere else than Clarkson... not exactly known for producing players in the last 40 years.

I thought this was pretty cute. Looks like GM place too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad