Post-Game Talk: Canucks at Washington Capitals | 11am PST | Capital One Arena

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Can he do that? Would the NHLPA even let it happen? Or is it only another team? This team HAS to make the qualifying offer because he is part of the contract already.

Is Boeser worth the QO? Especially if a Colorado type rebuild is going to happen, is he worth more to stay and age while waiting for a supporting cast (due to cap issues) or as an asset to be dealt for hopefully better future players all the same age?

He has lots of good chances that didn't go in and then these. A goal is a goal but Garret made it seem like he looked on the deflection off the back in, I PVRed it and have looked several times, he never looked, I think all he was doing was trying to get it to the front of the net. Still hopefully this is a start.

The GAME;

Essentially two tired teams that played the night before.
Demko stole the game, again.
But Demko will get tired if he plays all the games
Remember he has had surgery on his hips(s)? One for sure.
Thank Benning for the cap conundrum that all but guarantee's Demko playing over 70 games or BAM cap problem. Who do they waive to get under? Who doe they lose if they waive?

If they win the next then what?

Petey was 100% trying to bank that off the goalie. When a goalie is off their post who centers the puck over a foot high in the air from below the goal line? He clearly wanted to bank it in. He didnt have to look to know Samsonov was off his post. I'm not saying it's the greatest goal I've ever seen him score but it was at least on purpose.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Pretty sure if they go to arbitration all they are doing is delaying his going, alienating the player and diminishing trade value as other teams would know the team would have to deal to get something back.

Nobody is saying that the hearing will actually happen. Just saying that the team can elect salary arbitration which takes away Boeser's ability to accept the QO.

You asked whether Boeser is worth $7.5M. My answer is that if he's not the team can take him to arbitration. Again, my point is that the Canucks have a card to play if the concern is that Boeser isn't worth his QO.

Reactions: theguardianII

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Boeser is scoring at a 0.8 PPG pace under Boudreau which is close to his 'expected' 0.83 PPG pace. I think Boeser is exactly the 25 to 30 goal, 60 to 65 point player who dresses for 70 to 75 games that he has been. The first 20 games under Green appear to be an outlier.

That player is probably worth close to his QO but I can see us wanting to move him for a more durable player who gives a bit more when not scoring.

Reactions: Indiana and m9

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Could you cite a comparable, in the NHL, where this has happened before? I’m struggling to come up with one. Specifically with a fairly high performing RFA on a big contract. It’s normal in the MLB, NBA, and NFL but not here. Rutherford has never really been a trend setter.

I’d also he surprised if he’s on the team but it won’t be by a declined QO. I also disagree that his value would be so low, even with that crazy high cap number, that the Canucks still couldn’t get positive value back. NHL teams sign terrible UFA deals every season, giving up an asset to sign a young scorer like Boeser will appeal to someone.

I don't know that there has been a comparable in terms of situation? Not many guys sign big RFA bridge deals and then lay an egg in their contract year.

Certainly guys like Athanasiou and Nick Ritchie haven't been qualified despite decent production but these are worse players on cheaper contracts.

If he scores 30 points in 40 games in the 2nd half, this won't be a thing. Someone will trade for him (probably at a pretty low price) and qualify him if we don't. But if he finishes in the 38-42 point range with that QO ... yikes.

Patrik Laine is a similar situation and will also be interesting.

Reactions: Vector and F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't know that there has been a comparable in terms of situation? Not many guys sign big RFA bridge deals and then lay an egg in their contract year.

That is a good point. There must be somebody who fell into this situation. Perhaps due to injuries?

If he scores 30 points in 40 games in the 2nd half, this won't be a thing. Someone will trade for him (probably at a pretty low price) and qualify him if we don't. But if he finishes in the 38-42 point range with that QO ... yikes..

That's why I suggested taking Boeser to arbitration if something can't get done before a QO needs to be given. Then perhaps compromise on a 2 year deal where Boeser gets walked to UFA but signs for a cap hit ~$6-$6.5M range. Or just sign a 1 year deal at ~$6.375M and table the discussion.[/QUOTE]

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
In regards to Boeser, he was actually worth more when he signed his last contract and took a bit of a haircut. The chances are very slim he takes another one.

So definitely trade him.

Reactions: Indiana

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Certainly guys like Athanasiou and Nick Ritchie haven't been qualified despite decent production but these are worse players on cheaper contracts.

If he scores 30 points in 40 games in the 2nd half, this won't be a thing. Someone will trade for him (probably at a pretty low price) and qualify him if we don't. But if he finishes in the 38-42 point range with that QO ... yikes.

Patrik Laine is a similar situation and will also be interesting.

also the whole thing where the final year of the contract is inflated to drive up the price of the QO is a somewhat new idea I think. Timo Meier is the first one I remember where this was really a thing, and he was also somewhat in a similar situation entering the year (but has been producing a ton of late and has five goals tonight!)

Reactions: m9 and Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
also the whole thing where the final year of the contract is inflated to drive up the price of the QO is a somewhat new idea I think. Timo Meier is the first one I remember where this was really a thing, and he was also somewhat in a similar situation entering the year (but has been producing a ton of late and has five goals tonight!)

Plus bridge deals have exploded in value over the past few years. Teams used to leverage far harder on them.

Looking at what a guy like Jacob Trouba signed in 2016 it does go up like $500k in the 2nd year ... but to $3.5 million.

They've gone up disproportionately relative to the cap in the last 5 or so years. A slightly-above-middling player like Boeser wasn't requiring nearly 10% of the cap as a QO coming off his bridge in 2016.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Plus bridge deals have exploded in value over the past few years. Teams used to leverage far harder on them.

Looking at what a guy like Jacob Trouba signed in 2016 it does go up like $500k in the 2nd year ... but to $3.5 million.

They've gone up disproportionately relative to the cap in the last 5 or so years. A slightly-above-middling player like Boeser wasn't requiring nearly 10% of the cap as a QO coming off his bridge in 2016.
As long as there is a hard cap, an increase in the general value of bridge deals must correspondingly depress the general value of UFA deals, including the one Boeser will eventually get.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As long as there is a hard cap, an increase in the general value of bridge deals must correspondingly depress the general value of UFA deals, including the one Boeser will eventually get.

Yes.

Circa 2015 or 2016 non-elite UFAs like Eriksson, Ladd etc. were getting a disproportionately large 8-9% of the cap while equivalent-level quality young RFAs were getting a disproportionately low (relative to their contribution to the roster) 4-5% of the cap.

This inequality has now largely corrected itself.

Reactions: Indiana

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Wow! I have no issues with hogz game. Miller does a lot more sketch than he does. But I guess we accept it from miller until it costs us more games. Lol
Moved this post to the GDT...I see your point (especially with giveaways) with Miller..Difference is, is that Miller can literally put the team on his back, and win us the game..He's a far superior player at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad