Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce new hockey ops roles: Ian Clark as goalie coach, Cloutier as dir. of goaltending

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Whats important is that you have found a way to rationalize a benning decision, even though it originally seemed at odds with your prior posts. Good for you.

Nah. It’s not at odds. I haven’t changed what I said. I don’t think he is qualified for the job in terms of what I interpret the title as. Like I said, I don’t see him “directing” Clarke as far as how to coach do you? The position is simply to a compromise in order for Cloutier to remain involved. They did a similar compromise with Melanson by having Melanson coach in Utica instead.

And I am not sure if this is a Benning decision. I don’t recall Benning talking about Cloutier or Ryan Johnson quite frankly. I recall Linden talking about the two lots. Sounds to me this is more Linden’s decision.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm interested in what Ian Clark sees in Anders Nilsson. I know Nilsson can be erratic....but I wonder if he can do something with Nilsson.

I wonder the same. What I hope is that both Nilsson and Markstrom do well, enough so that Markstrom gets traded for good value at some point in the season, and then Demko is brought up.

Maybe "hope" is too strong a word, because that suggests I think it's possible. It's what I'd like to see happen, but it's not what management will do.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think this is probably a positive. Most organizations have a legitimate #1 goalie who in terms of coaching just needs the occasional consultation and a pep talk / sport psychology session and 1 or 2 developing goalies who need to work on all aspects of their game from technique and positioning to mental approach.

We have a yet to really prove himself goalie in Markstrom who is athletic, but has both mental and technical lapses with soft goals and poor positioning on sharp angled shots. We have Nilsson who is huge and relies on good positioning, but runs hot and cold because when his reading and tracking of the puck fails, he lacks the athleticism of Markstrom to recover. We also have a highly rated young goalie in Demko, who has dominated against AHL competition but is untested at the NHL level and DiPietro coming off a promising junior career and turning pro.

The work load of a goalie coach in the Canucks system right now is probably going to be very high. So a goalie coaching staff of Clark (NHL) and Sanford (AHL) with Cloutier overseeing the coaching program makes a lot of sense.

I agree with most of your post. I think this is much ado about nothing. It's really just recognizing the guys we have in our system will needs some more hands-on help.

BUT...look at the names in our goaltending development hierarchy. All former ties to the Canucks. Clark, Sanford, Cloutier. Can we not go outside the box? The best guys available happen to have a past with us? Really? There's no one else?

I'm sure there are other very innovative goaltending clinicians out there. But the NHL in general is just a conservative old boy's club.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Nilsson looked good to start last year too, getting 2 shutouts in his first 3 games and having a .955 sv% up to mid-November before returning to his normal level of play.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Nilsson looked good to start last year too, getting 2 shutouts in his first 3 games and having a .955 sv% up to mid-November before returning to his normal level of play.
Hopefully this year is different

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

I'm curious how much that is Nilsson as well as the defence and team declining in play. We had a lot of injuries last season with Tanev missing half the season, Dorsett (who was surprisingly effective on the pk and shutdown roles), etc. I'm not trying to excuse Nilsson, as Markstrom was still able to put up better numbers, but I do think the whole team played their best at the beginning and then it was downhill onwards.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com

Yeah hopefully Clark with his years of solid goalie coaching can help with that, so Nilsson can play consistent from here on out. I'm sure he'll have a bad game now that he's being noticed aha :( but I hope Green gives him a longer leash, he could have more consistency than Marky maybe.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well I think the results for Marky are in at least. Nilly hasn't played in so long that I can't remember, lol.

Part of my issue with Clark at the time of hiring is that he had an old-boys club yes man attitude with Luongo and failed to rectify some of his shortcomings which were becoming very apparent especially for someone like me who has been a fan boy of Lu's since he came into the league.

However I can happily say that since he had no pre-existing relationship with Marky that I know of, he has definitely shored up parts of Marky's game and you can see the results on the ice if not so much in the save percentage column (IMO save percentage has a very significant team contribution to it).

He has worked on Marky catching the puck - like just catching it over and over. As a result, Marky's glove positioning is more square and forward (the last bit is the important one). As such he has been making many more glove saves and I can't remember him fumbling a glove-side shot in quite some time.

Marky had already improved his edgework last season, and Clark to my knowledge is not a super heavy movement pattern guy. But his down transitions and edges are even better than last year, which I thought were a significant improvement to begin with.

More importantly, I think Marky is more patient. He keeps his legs loaded instead of doing the leg shimmy which was very pronounced when he first arrived in Vancouver. Cloutier took that physical tell out of his game but Marky was still prone to being overly aggressive and attacking the game. Due to the faster and more lateral style of the game, this is not a consistent mental or tactical approach. This season we see Marky let the game come to him more. He picks his spots and holds his position longer, but he is able to improvise and employ his athleticism when the time comes. The change is so pronounced that I feel that we can easily attribute it to Clark's influence.

Another thing I notice is that Marky is general calmer and more even keeled. We see few outbursts from his this season. Although Clark does have a mental approach, he didn't do well at this with Luongo, who got calmer seemingly due to maturation (and long after Clark left). But whatever he is preaching has gotten to Marky.

It's ironic that I write this post after Marky gave up a goal due to poor post integration, but this is something that Clark is known for and despite that goal and one against Winnipeg I feel like Marky is less lazy (gets up more quickly and does not default to the down position as much) with his post integration work. A big idea of Clark's is that of having "dynamic" post integration and I think you can see that from the great pushes Marky is getting off his posts and the fact that he has been able to integrate the aforementioned glove hand improvements. Although he was beat the last couple of times by being "static", he has made many more saves than have beaten him because of the "dynamic" attitude to post integration that Clark has brought in his tutelage.

Finally, I see a lot of more old-school stick blade techniques used by Jakob. IMO this is a technique lacking in most modern goaltenders and has served Marky well so far this season. The league as a whole is resorting more to intentionally "hot" rebounds rather than the older smother technique, and stick redirection complements that perfectly IMO. The equipment and speed of players shots today means that contrary to the expectations of many fans it is not possible to "kill" or "control" rebounds on high quality shots. Stick redirection uses the momentum of the shot in the goalie's favour and is easier and more predictable than trying to deaden puck velocity so it falls at the goalie's feet as in the old days.

Overall I think the early returns on the Clark relationship with Marky at least have been very favourable, and I am excited to see what results the long term collaboration brings. This might also be good for Clark because Bob was such an unorthodox goalie with a lot of outside influences (kind of like Luongo actually), and so were the up and coming prospects in the Columbus organization. Marky has a really high ceiling IMO and is probably more receptive and easier to mould than those goalies Clark had in Columbus.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Well put, mossey, thanks for taking the time to write that up.

Agreed that the team in front of him is impacting SV%, the opposition has way too much time and space when shooting (often off the rush) which is more meaningful than high danger stats (witness the post-integration goal last night in ANA, not necessarily a high danger area, but give an NHLer that kind of time and space and they will snipe that area; as an aside, positioning when facing a shooter in the pie is a pet peeve of mine, the angles make it so that a far side high shot will essentially never go in, but short side high has much more angle, not a fan of VH ever, and not a fan of RVH once the shooter moves back out past the goal line).

Also, I have an Ian Clark story to tell (along with a few other stories) - PM me if you are interested.

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't care who the goaltending coaches are or what techniques they teach. Between the pair of them they have to groom a legitimate number one goalie for the Canucks. Right now with Markstrom and Nilsson; along with Demko and DiPietro (no experience) the Canucks don't have a single one.

It's not much wonder the rumor mill has the Canucks interested in either Bobrovsky or Varlemov as potential UFA's. That would be just perfect. Despite all the pumping of tires about their goaltending depth, they have to blow their brains out on the inflated free agent market by signing a starting goalie.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't care who the goaltending coaches are or what techniques they teach. Between the pair of them they have to groom a legitimate number one goalie for the Canucks. Right now with Markstrom and Nilsson; along with Demko and DiPietro (no experience) the Canucks don't have a single one.

It's not much wonder the rumor mill has the Canucks interested in either Bobrovsky or Varlemov as potential UFA's. That would be just perfect. Despite all the pumping of tires about their goaltending depth, they have to blow their brains out on the inflated free agent market by signing a starting goalie.
I never thought of Markstrom as anything other than a place holder. Nilsson just a backup. Don’t think either is a cup caliber goalie.

So, we’re counting on them developing Demko and or Dipietro. But that takes time. Ideally wanted Demko here but they bumbled his concussion recovery so they lost a few weeks. Maybe he plays a couple of games during the Nilsson injury.

Wade flaherty former nhl goalie has been the jets goalie coach since 11-12. Helly had a vezina year last season but all those years of Pavs and the jets can’t do anything. So, you still need quality to coach. And I don’t think Marky and Anders are that.

Look around the NHL. There’s a dearth of #1 goalies. Calgary, Edmonton, St. Louis, islanders, philly, would like a goalie upgrade.

But there’s like no one to get unless you are recycling former starters like Howard, Varly, Schneider who is coming off a serious hip injury.

Is Dell from SJ the next Jones who can take a starting job or is he the next Darling who can’t handle it? SAros from Nashville might be ready now but he’ll be the backup there for 2 more years with the re-signings by the Preds.

A lot Of teams just have to bank on the guy they are developing like a Gillies in Cal, Hart in Philly, Demko here, Husso in St. Louis, and onwards.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad