Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce new hockey ops roles: Ian Clark as goalie coach, Cloutier as dir. of goaltending

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Being a Canucks fan is like being forced to watch a mobius strip of suck for eternity.

Ian Clark was a hack as a goalie coach back in the day. This such a country club organization. It's pathetic how we're going to waste a decade of our lives on this regime.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Director of Goaltending? Does any other team have someone in this role?

And holy crap we have a lot of ex-Canuck alumni working in hockey operations. I really wish we would stop doing this.

bwahahaha what is that title Cloutier got? Director of Goaltending? Incredible. Is there another NHL team with both a goalie coach and a director of goaltending?

Washington has a Director of Goaltending and goalie coach. I expect more teams to follow this setup. This allows an experienced goalie coach to stay in the game while spending less time working and travelling.

In reality, we've had a de facto direct of goaltending for years. When Melanson was here, Cloutier was spending a lot of time in Utica working with Utica, presumably under Melanson's direction.

The issue here is that Cloutier should in no way be directing Ian Clarke and I don't expect him to do that. I fully expect Cloutier to more or less be a part-time developmental coach and be more of a consultant.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Was hoping it was Benning took a new role. Special advisor to the Lunch cook.

He prob get rid of all the fresh produce and bring in HungryMan dinners then be confused as to why nobody is eating it

or why no one is getting stronger

but actually you raise a good point:

upload_2018-7-2_20-30-30.jpeg

this is what he thinks meat and potatoes is

Reactions: The Drop

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There are some interesting opinions about Ian Clark here. He is one of the key architects in how goaltending is played today. He is a very good coach.

I know nothing about goaltending but this is my impression as well. The idea that Ian Clark is somehow a dinosaur goalie coach is flat out wrong. From what I have read, he teaches a modern and very technical style (as exemplified by Jonathan Quick). The issue with him in the past was that he only wanted to work part-time. Maybe things have changed? During his time away, his protege has won 2 Vezinas.

To me, this is a very good hire. Would I love to have Melanson back? Sure. Mitch Korn? Bill Ranford Sure. But in terms of accomplishment, reputation, and pedigree, Ian Clark appears to be among the best in the NHL.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Someone remind me of the hierarchy... I believe it goes:

Chief Goaltending Officer (CGO)
VP-Goaltenders
VP-Goaltending Affairs
Assistant VP-Goaltending Affairs
Assistant to the VP-Goaltending Affairs
Director of Goaltending
Associate Director of Goaltending
Assistant Director of Goaltending
Goaltending Coach
Goaltender

So Cloutier is working his way up... good on him.

member 290103

Washington has a Director of Goaltending and goalie coach. I expect more teams to follow this setup. This allows an experienced goalie coach to stay in the game while spending less time working and travelling.

In reality, we've had a de facto direct of goaltending for years. When Melanson was here, Cloutier was spending a lot of time in Utica working with Utica, presumably under Melanson's direction.

The issue here is that Cloutier should in no way be directing Ian Clarke and I don't expect him to do that. I fully expect Cloutier to more or less be a part-time developmental coach and be more of a consultant.

Thanks, Trevor.

Reactions: B-rock

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Will Clark be able to be a fulltime goalie coach this time around? Isn't that part of the reason he was fired for Rollie Melanson in the first place? He was living out East, wasn't he?

Anyway, this means we're spending a contract slot on Morgan Clark. Last I saw he was playing in the AUS (Atlantic University Sports... I had to look it up). A bad draft pick the moment it was announced - THANKS Gillis. Lol.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Any other company that had had the results the Canucks have had the past three years would be cleaning house and looking for solutions.

These guys can't stumble over each other fast enoguh to pat themselves on the back and give everyone involved raises and promotions. It's sickening. Forward-thinking. f*** off, Linden.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Haha it's kind of true. With the Oilers old-boy-club there was at least the aura of a winning dynasty. The old canucks alumni, except for one year in 1994, have the aura of a dumpster fire.
Edmonton got all that winning in one place an it cancelled itself out.

Canucks getting all that losing in one place and hoping it counters itself and results in winning.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Will Clark be able to be a fulltime goalie coach this time around? Isn't that part of the reason he was fired for Rollie Melanson in the first place? He was living out East, wasn't he?

Anyway, this means we're spending a contract slot on Morgan Clark. Last I saw he was playing in the AUS (Atlantic University Sports... I had to look it up). A bad draft pick the moment it was announced - THANKS Gillis. Lol.

he wasn't fired, he moved on to a different venture apparently in 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad