Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce new hockey ops roles: Ian Clark as goalie coach, Cloutier as dir. of goaltending

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Lol. We just can't shake Cloutier, who gets a promotion for quitting.

Also, wasn't Ian Clark just like a part time goalie coach when he was here before? Another loser coach.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Also, wasn't Ian Clark just like a part time goalie coach when he was here before? Another loser coach.
He believed that he could coach a goalie to be so robotic in net that emotion and nerves wouldn’t even play a factor because his positioning would be so good.

The result was Dan Cloutier.

This is directly from John Garrett after he left the last time

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i thought cloutier resigned. not sure how that works. i assume it means he refuses to travel to utica or on the road.

some other details from that release. manny gets jarvi's work, and scott walker picked up a title.

"Manny Malhotra's role as Assistant Coach will evolve with the announcement of Jarvis being named Special Advisor. His responsibilities will increase and continue include a special focus on the development of young players."

"Scott Walker will move to a full-time capacity as Director Player Development under the guidance of Ryan Johnson, Utica Comets General Manager and Sr. Director, Player Development."

Reactions: bbud and TruGr1t

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Think Ian Clark was goalie coach in Columbus. Their goalie had success during this time.

Reactions: F A N

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don’t get it... like any of it. I feel I should just ask for a job and tell them I have been a life long fan. That should make me deserving to be director of amateur professional fans.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Was hoping it was Benning took a new role. Special advisor to the Lunch cook.

He prob get rid of all the fresh produce and bring in HungryMan dinners then be confused as to why nobody is eating it

0006321106501.jpg

Reactions: The Drop

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
When he was here the first time, Ian Clark wasn't very good. Lu didn't adapt and modernize his skating (to his credit, Clark was trying) until Rollie got here. Also I think his relationship with Luongo was a little bit too cozy. Lu's style needed to adapt over time much sooner. Then again there were too many cooks in the kitchen in that case but I digress.

What Clark has done in the meantime is help Bobrovsky rein in his freelancing style and raw talent. He certainly deserves some credit for that, but it's worth noting that Bob and McElhinney were his goalies for his entire stint in Columbus. McElhinney in my mind is what he is. Bobrovsky was so slide happy and aggressive that any technical coaching was going to a positive for him. Clark's biggest strength is supposed to be on the technical side. However, some of Bob's early technical changes were instituted by Jussi Parkkila, who is now the goalie coach for Colorado, during the lockout.

Another issue is that Bob melts down every year in the playoffs (last post-season was his best IMO but I thought he was still very inconsistent). And every backup for Bob has had terrible stats.

IMO this lends credence to the idea that the organization is letting him go because they have a bunch of newer European goalies coming up and they are usually very heavily coached in modern technique all the way from minor hockey. Despite modernizing his approach, Clark is very much an old-school goalie coach. It's rumoured that Forsberg and Koprisalo may have clashed with him in terms of style. And Forsberg has since been traded.

As for the Canucks, I am not sure how Clark will fare here.

For Marky, technical side is good for him as it is similar to Bob where he has a lot of raw talent. However, I don't think Luongo's mental game improved until Clark left. And evidently with Bob it is not a thing that Clark brings to the table. Unfortunately it might be Marky's greatest weakness.

For Nilly, this may be a great fit because Nilly just needs to stay in his game to be successful IMO, and that is probably what Clark is best at.

For Demko, he is less technical than he should be IMO and needs (maybe considerable) help with his skating. Could Clark pull a Bob with him? The issue is that Bob was a very powerful skater even back to Philly days, in fact too powerful. I'm not as confident that Clark can help Demko with movement patterns which is what I think he needs.

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
A no show/no work job for Cloutier. Nice.

Not enough special assistant roles in management for my liking. It would be nice to see them pad things out a little more ;)

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
"I'm excited about the changes we've made to our Hockey Operations staff," said Linden. "We emphasize forward-thinking in every area of our team and when you combine the talent and experience of this group with that progressive mindset, we're optimistic about the future."

:propeller

Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad