Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce Abbotsford Canucks as AHL Farm Team

What should the team be called?

• Total voters

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Someone posted on Twitter the "Fraser Valley Sturgeon" I think that gives an opportunity for some pretty cool logos.
I am boycotting all team names that are plural, or feel like they are, but don't end with an S.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Something around a Sperm Whale?

It keeps with the whale motif the Canucks aren't moving on from, and they eat giant and colossal squid, so take that Kraken!

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I like the tradition of the Millionaires name, but it is kind of silly when talking about most AHL players. That would be a running joke probably. Anyway, I voted that way simply because I am not super excited about most of the options presented and it isn't that important.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No fish name!!!!!! There’s nothing remotely intimidating about something that can be gutted by a five year old.

Oh ya? Get a five year old to catch and gut a puffer fish!

upload_2021-6-16_17-11-51.jpeg

Reactions: mossey3535

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
I don't know if this has mentioned, but one of the Italian words for "Eagles" is "Aquilini."

Getting this in there before the "Abbotsford Eagles" hockey team is announced :sarcasm:

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I don't know if this has mentioned, but one of the Italian words for "Eagles" is "Aquilini."

Getting this in there before the "Abbotsford Eagles" hockey team is announced :sarcasm:

The Golden Eagles Golf Club is owned by the Aqulinis. I really hope we can avoid this name. :shakehead

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Curious if there would be any rights issues over the use of the name "Aeros", given that there was a Houston franchise that bore that moniker.
In Canada, at least, if you check the CIPO database the term "Aeros" is indeed already registered for use in promoting a hockey club (and proposed for national use), although it isn't related to the old WHA or IHL/AHL teams, which appear to be abandoned now (the current one is some guy in Alberta with the cartoonish name of Axel Axmann).

Edit: It's this guy, with a minor league hockey team:

https://twitter.com/axelaxmann?lang=en

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Given Abbotsford's reputation as BC's "bible belt", how about the Abbotsford Apostles?

Reactions: rypper

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Okay, one more suggestion in honour of Sir David Attenborough: Abby McAbface.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Abbotsford Axemen.
I've been saying Timbermen but i like Axemen too. Honestly i dont really care Aviators Canucks whatever

I think this is an absolutely huge development for this team. Easy call ups. Symmetry with the big club in terms of coaching and being able to closely monitor and taper development. The crowds should be big and the atmosphere should give the prospects as close to being a Canuck that they can provide.

I'm also intrigued by the prospect of BC talent signing on to play close to home and making the team a force to be reckoned with vs the struggles that Utica would present in terms of quality AHL veterans.

Hope Ty Ronning Tyler Wotherspoon Glenn Gawdin and Nic Petan are given good offers to come and help lead the charge

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I've been saying Timbermen but i like Axemen too. Honestly i dont really care Aviators Canucks whatever

I think this is an absolutely huge development for this team. Easy call ups. Symmetry with the big club in terms of coaching and being able to closely monitor and taper development. The crowds should be big and the atmosphere should give the prospects as close to being a Canuck that they can provide.

I'm also intrigued by the prospect of BC talent signing on to play close to home and making the team a force to be reckoned with vs the struggles that Utica would present in terms of quality AHL veterans.

Hope Ty Ronning Tyler Wotherspoon Glenn Gawdin and Nic Petan are given good offers to come and help lead the charge

Why would Utica present struggles to attract AHL vets? I don't think Rochester, Syracuse, or Binghampton have typically had significant problems?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Abbotsford is a farming community that's among the least forested areas of B.C.

Not sure where the "Axemen" connection is.

Tourism-Abbotsford-Homepage-Hero-1100x540.jpg
I thought it was just a play on the name of the guy I posted about above, who had trademarked the Aeros logo -- Axel Axmann. :laugh:

But anyway sports teams have a habit of borrowing from nearby/greater regions anyway. Most of BC's grizzlies are nowhere near Vancouver; Alberta's oil fields aren't right in the city of Edmonton; Quebec City isn't actually very far north; giant squid probably would reside in the open ocean more so than Puget Sound, etc. etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad