Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce Abbotsford Canucks as AHL Farm Team

What should the team be called?

• Total voters

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I see quite a few people don't like this move. Why? I can't see it do nothing but bring the Canucks family and community closer together. I've never been to an AHL game but I'm much more likely to attend one now because of this (Unlike that catastrophic gamble of bringing a division rivals farm team to the province).

Mind you I'm quite ignorant to the business side of it.

Can someone please elaborate?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Utica was the base for the Vancouver Canucks yet the Blues ended up providing the Comets with 21 players during the season and the Canucks only 15. The Blues called guys up and found replacements for them. Vancouver called up 4 and replaced them with 1, Brisebois. He arrived with 11 games left, played 5 and was hurt for the last 6.

Johnson wore the title of GM. The Comets began the season with 10 Vancouver signed players. They re-signed John Stevens and Vincent Arseneau to AHL contracts. It would be the job of the GM to acquire players if the roster thinned out due to call-ups or injury. Vancouver sent Rathbone down when the Comets were down to 5 D and called him back up leaving them with 6 once again. Johnson never once in the entire season acquired a player to bolster the roster even when the team at one time played a game with the only 11 forwards they had and 5 days later did it again in their next game. The roster was short D all season with 6 often being the total and sometimes a whopping 7. The Forwards numbered 11, 12, or 13 on many occasions. Don't you think a normal GM would fix that? He did not and in previous seasons behaved in the same manner.

My congratulations to you on the retention of such a fine general manager for your newly located farm.
Ryan Johnson sounded very impressive in every radio interview that I listened to. He talked a good game but his actions didn't live up to the talk.

UltimateBenningBro

Mar 19, 2020
The hair dye section at Walmart
It should be a really good season for the Abbottsford affiliate. The next wave of prospects taking the next step, while being led by respected NHL vets like Roussel and Eriksson. I know they are a little expensive as far as AHL salaries go, but their experience will be invaluable to the youngsters. That's how you build a constant flow of young NHL talent. Lind, Gadjovich and Lockwood are all making the jump soon, with others to follow. Future is bright.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It should be a really good season for the Abbottsford affiliate. The next wave of prospects taking the next step, while being led by respected NHL vets like Roussel and Eriksson. I know they are a little expensive as far as AHL salaries go, but their experience will be invaluable to the youngsters. That's how you build a constant flow of young NHL talent. Lind, Gadjovich and Lockwood are all making the jump soon, with others to follow. Future is bright.
:laugh:

At least Roussel put up one VERY solid season for us before injuries overwhelmed his body.

Eriksson has been utter **** since his first game as a Canuck.

All he can teach them is how to lose.

Reactions: GranvilleIsland

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see quite a few people don't like this move. Why? I can't see it do nothing but bring the Canucks family and community closer together. I've never been to an AHL game but I'm much more likely to attend one now because of this (Unlike that catastrophic gamble of bringing a division rivals farm team to the province).

Mind you I'm quite ignorant to the business side of it.

Can someone please elaborate?
It's been apparent for some time that the Canucks were going to have to move their AHL affiliate to the Western Conference to be closer to the parent club.....and with Seattle coming into the league, there was a need to balance out the AHL-West and East.

I think people are generally pumped about being able to watch the Canucks prospects first hand. From a hockey standpoint, though the issue people are having is that the Abbotsford (no-names) will easily have the worst travel schedule in the entire AHL. So Canuck prospects will spend a lot more time in airports and hotels than they will practicing.

Of course looking at it positively, their parent team in the Canucks also have the worst travel schedule in the NHL. So I suppose the kids playing in Abby will get a crash course in playing games in multiple time zones and how to physically recover from an onerous travel schedule. And because the AHL plays so many back-to-back games, it'll make the travel a bit easier.

But whether the Canuck farmhands play in Utica or Abbotsford, as many Comet posters have pointed out over the years, they need to do a far better job of drafting and stocking their AHL team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's been apparent for some time that the Canucks were going to have to move their AHL affiliate to the Western Conference to be closer to the parent club.....and with Seattle coming into the league, there was a need to balance out the AHL-West and East.

I think people are generally pumped about being able to watch the Canucks prospects first hand. From a hockey standpoint, though the issue people are having is that the Abbotsford (no-names) will easily have the worst travel schedule in the entire AHL. So Canuck prospects will spend a lot more time in airports and hotels than they will practicing.

Of course looking at it positively, their parent team in the Canucks also have the worst travel schedule in the NHL. So I suppose the kids playing in Abby will get a crash course in playing games in multiple time zones and how to physically recover from an onerous travel schedule. And because the AHL plays so many back-to-back games, it'll make the travel a bit easier.

But whether the Canuck farmhands play in Utica or Abbotsford, as many Comet posters have pointed out over the years, they need to do a far better job of drafting and stocking their AHL team.
Majority of games are played within the division, so the main issue for them is flying down to California. Either land in NorCal or SoCal then bus to the smaller cities.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
The Aviators Logo that already exists would look ice on a Farm Team Jersey.

KgUJf.jpg

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Curious if there would be any rights issues over the use of the name "Aeros", given that there was a Houston franchise that bore that moniker.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
In my opinion, the short listed name of Abbotsford Aviators would be awesome, and if they used that jersey design a few posts up, that is almost too good to be true

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
:laugh:

At least Roussel put up one VERY solid season for us before injuries overwhelmed his body.

Eriksson has been utter **** since his first game as a Canuck.

All he can teach them is how to lose.

It seems to me
That if Loui and Guddy could have combined to score on the opposite net it would have set forth the alternate timeline where both players would be absolutemonsters for us, still with the team and leading us to multiple Stanley cups in that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad