Rumor: Canucks among shortlist for Andrei Kuzmenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
None of that changes the fact that if he were to bounce back to his 2020-21 point per game place / games played that he would hit 70 plus points. Like I said, there are reason why he may not some of which you have listed but that doesn’t change what it would mean for him to “bounce back”.

Staying healthy and producing for a full 82-game season to finish at 70-80 points would not be a 'bounce-back'. It would be totally new territory for him and easily the best season of his career.

Technically, an exact bounce-back to some of his earlier seasons would be scoring 52 points in 63 games or some such.

But when a player looks like absolute garbage for a full NHL season, a 'bounce back' isn't necessarily to exactly what his previous form was. Like, if PK Subban scores 45 points and does a good job as a top-4 defender next year somewhere, that would be considered a major bounce-back even if it's nowhere near where he was at a few years ago. Likewise, if Boeser scored 55-60 points, to me that would be a significant bounce-back, and probably the most realistic sort of bounce-back that could be expected. 70-80 points is just pie in the sky. Sure,, if it happens his value will probably go up ... but what are the odds that that actually happens?

Reactions: theguardianII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Point totals aside, Boeser really needs to produce 5 on 5 to be useful to the team.

Being the 5th most important part of the 1st PP unit isn't all that useful to me. Might as well just plug Garland or OEL into that PP unit and you'll probably see similar results while saving a ton of money.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Likewise, if Boeser scored 55-60 points, to me that would be a significant bounce-back, and probably the most realistic sort of bounce-back that could be expected. 70-80 points is just pie in the sky. Sure,, if it happens his value will probably go up ... but what are the odds that that actually happens?
The odds are pretty good actually. All the team needs to do is play him with the best players and lots of PP time.
IMO he doesn't drive a line or make players around him better, he is a north south skater that relies on his team mates for play. He does hit more than Horvat though.
His wrist issues/operations and his back operation make me doubtful of his longevity.
He did just go through a brutal stretch of life and deserves a mulligan but the contract and cap situation make it too much of a risk. Besides trading him closer to home, Columbus ie, might make it better for him as well, might just be doing him a favour

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The odds are pretty good actually. All the team needs to do is play him with the best players and lots of PP time.
IMO he doesn't drive a line or make players around him better, he is a north south skater that relies on his team mates for play. He does hit more than Horvat though.
His wrist issues/operations and his back operation make me doubtful of his longevity.
He did just go through a brutal stretch of life and deserves a mulligan but the contract and cap situation make it too much of a risk. Besides trading him closer to home, Columbus ie, might make it better for him as well, might just be doing him a favour

I don't think it's that simple.

They played him with the best players and gave him tons of PP time last year and he stunk.

They played him with the best players and gave him tons of PP time in 19-20 and he wasn't good at all.

Reactions: theguardianII

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He'll go to Edmonton to get paid and all the energy expended on this is a waste. Would you be a winger on a team with 2 MVP centers that just went to the conference finals or would you join a retooling team that is currently trying to trade their 99 point 1C for cap space and futures?

This is just a slow news period with local media needing to hype clicks for something. Will just be Schultz 2.0
I said this on the main board but Edmonton with McDavid/Draisaitl has a poor history of 'boosting' forwards. They did will with Kane and Hyman this season, two completely different players to Kuzmenko, but prior to that the pattern seems like after RNH as the #3 scoring forward the next forward will have like 30 points.

With Kuzmenko being a playmaking winger (from what I hear) it's just as or more likely he has a better season playing with say Horvat and Garland than trying to keep up with McDavid.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I said this on the main board but Edmonton with McDavid/Draisaitl has a poor history of 'boosting' forwards. They did will with Kane and Hyman this season, two completely different players to Kuzmenko, but prior to that the pattern seems like after RNH as the #3 scoring forward the next forward will have like 30 points.

With Kuzmenko being a playmaking winger (from what I hear) it's just as or more likely he has a better season playing with say Horvat and Garland than trying to keep up with McDavid.
A playmaking winger is exactly the right fit with Bo.

Reactions: Ottobot

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
GMs aren't going to pay big for players that are 'boosted' by McDavid. Anson Carter barely got a contract after scoring 33 goals with the Sedins.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't think it's that simple.

They played him with the best players and gave him tons of PP time last year and he stunk.

They played him with the best players and gave him tons of PP time in 19-20 and he wasn't good at all.

The 19-20 season he was at a 60 pt pace, and only didn’t as the season ended early. So if that is his bad season that you keep talking about, it’s surely not that bad.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The 19-20 season he was at a 60 pt pace, and only didn’t as the season ended early. So if that is his bad season that you keep talking about, it’s surely not that bad.

He was stapled to two point-per-game players all year in Miller and Pettersson plus the top unit PP. Those guys were absolutely carrying him.

60 points from that usage kinda sucks. And then he stunk in the bubble.

I thought he was quite poor that season but the success of his linemates and picking up PP/secondary points off those guys tended to mask it.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
He was stapled to two point-per-game players all year in Miller and Pettersson plus the top unit PP. Those guys were absolutely carrying him.

60 points from that usage kinda sucks. And then he stunk in the bubble.

I thought he was quite poor that season but the success of his linemates and picking up PP/secondary points off those guys tended to mask it.
He was 90th in nhl scoring playing less games than everyone above him except some guy named Crosby by 5-12 games as people stopped playing with different GMs played from Covid.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He was 90th in nhl scoring playing less games than everyone above him except some guy named Crosby by 5-12 games as people stopped playing with different GMs played from Covid.

Again, playing with an elite line and two guys piling up points.

He was very clearly the 3rd best player on that line and was benefitting hugely from their level of play.

You can be not very good but also get carried to pretty good-looking hockey card numbers because of usage and linemates.

If you stuck Reid Boucher or some such into Boeser's exact minutes that year, he'd have no problem putting up a 50-point pace.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

He was very clearly the 3rd best player on that line and was benefitting hugely from their level of play.

You can be not very good but also get carried to pretty good-looking hockey card numbers because of usage and linemates.

If you stuck Reid Boucher or some such into Boeser's exact minutes that year, he'd have no problem putting up a 50-point pace.

Yes I agree he was the 3rd best player on that line, but that line was elite, and part of the reason was Boeser no matter how hard you try to make him look bad.

I would guess he will get 65 pts next season without Miller, while missing a few games as I am mostly worried about his health.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes I agree he was the 3rd best player on that line, but that line was elite, and part of the reason was Boeser no matter how hard you try to make him look bad.

I would guess he will get 65 pts next season without Miller, while missing a few games as I am mostly worried about his health.

To me he was a 3rd wheel who made a solid contribution on the PP but made an easily replaceable contribution at ES.

How many points he scores will depend on his usage and linemates. He could be absolute garbage but if they keep stapling him to 19 minutes/game + top-unit PP time and he'll clear 50 points.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Good God dude, have you completely lost the plot?

Yes, Boeser who was a part of a fantastic top line that year could easily be replaced by AHL fodder because that's just how hockey works. Tell me you never played without telling me you never played.

Boeser hasn't quite lived up to his rookie season, which I actually think is partly a compliment to the Sedins work with him on the powerplay. He's been saddled with injury and personal tragedy, but has still been a legitimate top line winger. You can't just poo-poo the fact that he was our leading scorer in 2020-2021 just because it was a shortened year.

This past year for him was terrible, no question, but this Reid Boucher hyperbole is legitimately embarrassing.

I'm not deadset against trading Boeser, but if we trade him for low value based on last year we will regret it and you'll likely be in here telling everyone that you knew they shouldn't trade Boeser.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Prediction time.

Kuz agrees to join the Canucks.

Agreed between both parties to wait till after SCF are over so the Nucks can clear out more cap space via a trade.

Kuz signs ~7-10 days from now.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Prediction time.

Kuz agrees to join the Canucks.

Agreed between both parties to wait till after SCF are over so the Nucks can clear out more cap space via a trade.

Kuz signs ~7-10 days from now.

Why would he need to wait? It’s a one year ELC and the perception would be they have all season to clear space for possible extension.

I’m guessing we’ll get an announcement late this week; Thursday or Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Why would he need to wait? It’s a one year ELC and the perception would be they have all season to clear space for possible extension.

I’m guessing we’ll get an announcement late next week; Thursday or Friday.
Because signing just further solidifies they need to move someone.

Even on an ELC, it decreases leverage in trade talks.

I still think Garland is a goner (unfortunately).

Hopefully Myers too.

Miller traded at the draft.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Please take all Brock Boeser talk to any thread more appropriate to talking about Brock Boeser.
This includes irrational vendettas and ridiculous narratives i hope, like BB is negative value etc etc

Doubt Kuz signs here but id be down for sure, whether or not he's even close to as good as Boeser has been in the actual NHL is yet to be determined.

Either way we could definitely use and afford both.

Reactions: racerjoe

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Keeping expectations low, but pipe-dreaming Podkolzin continues his development to join Horvat’s line full-time. Kuzmenko and Podkolzin’s playmaking/retrieval meshes with Horvat’s finish and you’ve got something more interesting than stat-padding with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad