Rumor: Canucks among shortlist for Andrei Kuzmenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not keen on moving Brock during this low point. He's had a lot to deal with the last few years both mentally and physically.

I'm hoping with the right mind set and improved off-season training he can turn it around and get back to rookie year form.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
70-80 points wouldn't be a bounceback, that would be a massive career season. His career high is 56 points. Yes, he's had a couple years where he's PPG-ed up into the 70 point range but this is an injury-prone player and staying healthy is part of the equation.

And I'd be shocked to see that happen. His shot does not appear to be anywhere near the level it was in 2017.

He was basically a replacement-level player at ES last year - just a total black hole. If he could rebound to 55-60 points, that would be huge for him. If he duplicates last year's performance, he'll be tracking to be out of the NHL before he's 30.
He played every game in 2020-21 scoring at a 70+ point pace in an 82 game season. So if he was to “bounce back” to that performance he absolutely would be scoring 70 plus points next year.

Not saying that’s going to happen or that you are wrong pointing out his injuries and the weak Canadian division, but your original contention that him bouncing back would be a 55-60 point year is very clearly incorrect.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He played every game in 2020-21 scoring at a 70+ point pace in an 82 game season. So if he was to “bounce back” to that performance he absolutely would be scoring 70 plus points next year.

Not saying that’s going to happen or that you are wrong pointing out his injuries and the weak Canadian division, but your original contention that him bouncing back would be a 55-60 point year is very clearly incorrect.

Yeah, I just don't buy that.

It's like suggesting that a 'bounce back' season for Conor Garland next year would be to score 65-70 points because he scored at a 65-point pace in the weird 20-21 season.

Boeser's career high is 56 points. Scoring 70-80 points would be a career year by a mile. He's never been able to put together a healthy season and done that.

Pushing 60 points next year would be a massive turnaround for a guy who was basically an ES liability last season.

And for the record, he wasn't very good in 19-20 either and was totally carried by his linemates that year. And then sucked ass in the bubble. People want to point to 56 weird games in the bubble as the 'real' Boeser and ignore 150+ games over the past 3 years outside of that where he's been mediocre-to-poor.

Reactions: geebaan

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Faber’s latest update on Kuzmenko’s meeting with Vancouver:

“From what we’re hearing about how the meetings went, we believe that the chance of Kuzmenko signing and playing with the Canucks has only increased.”

Apparently the Canucks took him to Harbour Spoon and gave him an autographed Pavel Bure jersey. :sarcasm:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

It's like suggesting that a 'bounce back' season for Conor Garland next year would be to score 65-70 points because he scored at a 65-point pace in the weird 20-21 season.

Boeser's career high is 56 points. Scoring 70-80 points would be a career year by a mile. He's never been able to put together a healthy season and done that.

Pushing 60 points next year would be a massive turnaround for a guy who was basically an ES liability last season.

And for the record, he wasn't very good in 19-20 either and was totally carried by his linemates that year. And then sucked ass in the bubble. People want to point to 56 weird games in the bubble as the 'real' Boeser and ignore 150+ games over the past 3 years outside of that where he's been mediocre-to-poor.
How was the 20-21 season "weird" in a way that specifically explains either of these players' increased production?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
I'm actually starting to buy the hopium and think we might actually sign this guy.....

*Podz being his ex teammate - going somewhere you have a friend & countryman is always a bonus
*Alvin's pre-existing relationship with him
*Vancouver being the last city to present to him - when in these types of situations you ALWAYS want to be the last team stating your case - negotiating 101
*We no longer have Lennie from of Mice and Men as our GM
*It's sunny in Van today.......for now at least

Seriously.........we got this
That Lennie comparison made IPA come out my nose ….thanks a lot…..

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
He'll go to Edmonton to get paid and all the energy expended on this is a waste. Would you be a winger on a team with 2 MVP centers that just went to the conference finals or would you join a retooling team that is currently trying to trade their 99 point 1C for cap space and futures?

This is just a slow news period with local media needing to hype clicks for something. Will just be Schultz 2.0

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

None of that changes the fact that if he were to bounce back to his 2020-21 point per game place / games played that he would hit 70 plus points. Like I said, there are reason why he may not some of which you have listed but that doesn’t change what it would mean for him to “bounce back”.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
He'll go to Edmonton to get paid and all the energy expended on this is a waste. Would you be a winger on a team with 2 MVP centers that just went to the conference finals or would you join a retooling team that is currently trying to trade their 99 point 1C for cap space and futures?

This is just a slow news period with local media needing to hype clicks for something. Will just be Schultz 2.0
Imo you are greatly under estimating lifestyle. There's a reason Edmonton has trouble signing free agents.

Kuzmenko's stats previous to this year are not that impressive, so it's really a big guess as to how good he will be in the NHL. His 200 foot game is decent according to scouting reports, so that helps a lot if he isn't producing. If he can score 20 goals at ELC that would be a bargain. A cheap gamble.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I just came from edmonton a few months ago, and I could honestly say that the community is really respectful and nice, but the city looked really really poor.

Potholes basically everywhere, the west side is just one-way highways everywhere, the southside is beautiful, The east side is kind of just there, and the north is awful.

But I have to say once again, the people were incredibly nice, and the food there was surprisingly fantastic

Reactions: Vector and Lindgren

Ron Mysterious

Jun 18, 2022
I'm not keen on moving Brock during this low point. He's had a lot to deal with the last few years both mentally and physically.

I'm hoping with the right mind set and improved off-season training he can turn it around and get back to rookie year form.
I would only move Brock if we absolutely had to choose between him, Miller, and Horvat. I know people here are keen on moving Miller since Miller's age doesn't align with when this team might be elite but I believe there are a lot of moving parts. For instance, if we move on from Miller this off-season, it reinforces to guys like Horvat, Hughes, and Pettersson that.......

1) Players that play well and deserve a pay raise will be moved.
2) The Canucks aren't serious about being competitive in the short-term
3) Their impressive record after the 20th game last season was meaningless

In other words, moving someone like Miller could make guys like Petey, Horvat, and Hughes upset, to the point where they may not want to be here long term.

Boeser was starting to play better towards the end of the season and so I also hope we stick with him (for a reasonable long term cap friendly hit).

Cap wise, something will have to give obviously if we're bringing in Kuzemko.

One concern I have with Kuzemko is that our team is already small as is. Perhaps Garland will be moved to clear cap?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I just came from edmonton a few months ago, and I could honestly say that the community is really respectful and nice, but the city looked really really poor.

Potholes basically everywhere, the west side is just one-way highways everywhere, the southside is beautiful, The east side is kind of just there, and the north is awful.

But I have to say once again, the people were incredibly nice, and the food there was surprisingly fantastic

Edmonton is like a huge parking lot that happens to have people living in it. Outside of downtown/UofA the city seems built to make you not walk anywhere except inside the WEM.

Ron Mysterious

Jun 18, 2022

Was my experience as well. I watched a CFL game there in 2012 between the Lions and Eskimos (now Elk), and the people were very kind and respectful. I've seen a CFL game in almost all stadiums. Winnipeg and Ottawa are the two that I have. With the exception of BC and Toronto, fans everywhere were respectful, polite, and engaged. Having said that, I have noticed that BC Lions fans have been much more polite in 2021 and also this year.

Ron Mysterious

Jun 18, 2022
If the team signs Kuzmenko and then dumps Boeser for assets, that move will get two big thumbs-up from me.

If the team signs Kuzmenko and dumps Garland and keeps Boeser ... not so much.
I agree with this 100%

I love Garland's compete level, grit, and hustle. He can play anywhere in the line-up and be used in most situations. I'll be quite upset if Garland ends up being moved. I know Boeser has been going through a lot in his personal life, but I'd rather see Boeser be the fall guy if it comes down to making cap decisions.

Boeser is a good sniper and playmaker obviously, but his physicality, defensive play, and speed are major liabilities in my opinion. I would also be ecstatic if we signed Kuzemko, kept Garland, and moved on from Boeser. People will disagree with me on this, but I also hope we find a way to keep Miller.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
As a Canucks fan, hope and positive expectations usually leads to crushing disappointment however, I do find it suspicious that his agent is making a show of kuzmenko's time in Vancouver in his Twitter feed.

I have to admit I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about the Canucks chances of signing him.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think the biggest thing in our favour is Allvin’s continued involvement with this player over the years. That can’t be overstated imo.
There’s other factors which could sway him to sign elsewhere but this is one factor that gives Vancouver an edge.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

I like Edmonton and Edmontonians, generally speaking. But the 5-6 month long winter is beyond brutal, and that's hockey season. I think only Winnipeg and Buffalo would be less attractive in terms of places for newcomers to live (I say newcomers because people who have grown up in these places tend to have huge affection for them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad