Rumor: Canucks among shortlist for Andrei Kuzmenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
You feel like this is going to be all kinds of optimism followed by him predictably signing with a NY/LA/Florida-based franchise.

I like how the Canucks "are on the short list" but not really because more teams may get added to the list. That's not how "short lists" work.

Reactions: Jyrki21 and Indiana

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Unless a Canucks signing is imminent, I don't think this is really worth mentioning. I've heard that the Canucks have been involved in a number of other potential FA signing with little to show for it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Of course he'll sign here. Kuzmenko could be our next Justin Schultz! He doesn't have any family ties or community ties like Schultz did, but come on, why wouldn't he sign here???

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
personally i don't get the point in getting him. Are we competing next year? because it seems pointless to get a 26 year old russian if we aren't.

I think the idea is that if his breakout is real and it translates, then they are immediately boosted into playoff contention on a consistent basis; like Panarin or Kaprizov. If he doesn't work out then it's a one year contract and he's gone. I think the idea is that there's no downside other than figuring out a way to work him into the roster.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I think the idea is that if his breakout is real and it translates, then they are immediately boosted into playoff contention on a consistent basis; like Panarin or Kaprizov. If he doesn't work out then it's a one year contract and he's gone. I think the idea is that there's no downside other than figuring out a way to work him into the roster.
I guess? its just as those two have proven you need an actually solid team to win anything and i don't believe our team is there yet.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Unless a Canucks signing is imminent, I don't think this is really worth mentioning. I've heard that the Canucks have been involved in a number of other potential FA signing with little to show for it.

I feel like a general Euro-signing discussion thread might be better than a Kuzmenko-specific thread.

Reactions: Kickassguy and cc

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Kuzmenko turns 27 in February. There might be a bit of a boost afterwards but this upcoming season will tell you A LOT about who he is. I'm not convinced he's anything more than a Brock Boeser replacement but I'm also perfectly happy with that. It's just as likely that last season was his peak.

I see no downside in going after him, however.

Reactions: CanuckCity

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Huh? A free 26 year old ELC player who could break out to be a star doesn't interest you? Who wants good players I guess?
at 26 turning 27 mid season? yeah. Its not as interesting to me. I guess it will confirm we are keeping miller though if we get him. Guess allvin and JR think they can pull a Panthers.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I also remain a bit muted on this player..The KHL is an inferior league..

Look at Podz..he was a KHL player,and I think it was a shock to him to see how fast the NHL is..He had to manufacture a new gear..which he found about a third of the way through the season.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I am 70% confident he’s waiting for Edmonton or LA and will sign there. Source: none

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The local media has no insider sources for this regime, everything is speculation and click bait.

The boudreau extension is proof positive, nobody really knows anything and for the most part have been completely wrong.
Dhaliwal, sat, drance, etc don't know shit anymore.

Everyday there's another headline tweet from someone or friedman double speak to get clicks and hype for the media and these agents and their clients.

Going to be a long summer until something actually happens, and we dont have any clue what thats going to be.

Dont get your hopes up for something thats exceedingly unlikely.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I am 70% confident he’s waiting for Edmonton or LA and will sign there. Source: none
I would say new york but they have a ton of wingers already so he might not fit. Saint louis is a potential destination. Lotta Russians on that team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The local media has no insider sources for this regime, everything is speculation and click bait.

The boudreau extension is proof positive, nobody really knows anything and for the most part have been completely wrong.
Dhaliwal, sat, drance, etc don't know shit anymore.

Everyday there's another headline tweet from someone or friedman double speak to get clicks and hype for the media and these agents and their clients.

Going to be a long summer until something actually happens, and we dont have any clue what thats going to be.

Dont get your hopes up for something thats exceedingly unlikely.

This is coming from Dhaliwal, who is basically a mouthpiece for NHL agents. So he is connected.

The problem is that the agent is trying to sell his player so of course he's going to be leaking stuff like this. It doesn't really mean anything.

Reactions: Vector and Peen

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This is coming from Dhaliwal, who is basically a mouthpiece for NHL agents. So he is connected.

The problem is that the agent is trying to sell his player so of course he's going to be leaking stuff like this. It doesn't really mean anything.
His ego has outgrown his connections.
And I definitely said his regime connections are nearly zero along with everyone else, even imac.
Outside of Vancouver he's irrelevant, like all the local media.
And lately they've all been wrong about basically everything.

Its just meaningless hype from agent in an easily consumable package tweet.

Made the short list!
But still weeks away from any decision and the list will grow..

Wow revolutionary dhaliwal.
Hopefully we dont get a thread about the next 50 tweets about rumors and possibilities that are not likely to occur.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Normally I'd say "meh" for a 26/27 year old player but provided the $$$ isn't that high it's a free player (asset wise) with decent payback potential. Might be a bust move but this organization needs talent everywhere at every age.

Reactions: Wolfhard and Vector

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
personally i don't get the point in getting him. Are we competing next year? because it seems pointless to get a 26 year old russian if we aren't.

It makes sense if they believe he can replace Boeser or Garland. 5 mil vs 900K x 2 years. Trade those guys to replenish the prospect pool and revamp the defense. Hope for contention in 2024/2025

Also makes this team slightly more diverse, gives Pod a Russian compatriot to interact with and potentially makes this team more attractive for Russian prospects and FAs

I don't think its ever pointless to get talent for cheap unless you want to do a full on tank job, which Rutherford is really unlikely to do. Worse case sceanerio he sucks and he goes back to the KHL. If he hits any way in the NHL we can still trade him for a package, if we're not competing

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
It makes sense if they believe he can replace Boeser or Garland. 5 mil vs 900K x 2 years. Trade those guys to replenish the prospect pool and revamp the defense. Hope for contention in 2024/2025

Also makes this team slightly more diverse, gives Pod a Russian compatriot to interact with and potentially makes this team more attractive for Russian prospects and FAs

I don't think its ever pointless to get talent for cheap unless you want to do a full on tank job, which Rutherford is really unlikely to do. Worse case sceanerio he sucks and he goes back to the KHL. If he hits any way in the NHL we can still trade him for a package, if we're not competing
True. Although i wouldn't trade garland. He is way to valuable at ES.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

I don't think we will ultimately land him, but the reasoning behind acquiring him is sound. We are in salary shedding mode with vacancies up for grabs in the top 6 and still have quality skilled forwards left to play with. We have Podkolzin, who is a former teammate, that adds an extra level of comfort. But I fear that the allure of LA or NYC or Miami might prove too much to overcome.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad