Canucks add Weisbrod to Hockey Ops staff

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
What exactly is the VP of player personnel, is that like the assistant to Crawford?

Henning already holds the title of VP of player personnel, unless Weisbrod now only has it and Henning will just be an AGM now.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He's a slightly undersized defenseman who had 11 points in 45 games in the OHL after his draft year.

Damon Severson, at 6'2 and scored 37 points in 56 games in his draft year, proceeded to score 52 in 71 the following year. He's also three months younger than Sieloff. And he was picked 18 spots later.

You might want to do your research before making posts like that. Sieloff was the consensus higher ranked defenseman. One is a physical defensive defenseman with some but likely limited offensive upside. The other is an offensive defenseman who has trouble playing without the puck. Looking at points to determine who is better is simply stupid.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
You might want to do your research before making posts like that. Sieloff was the consensus higher ranked defenseman. One is a physical defensive defenseman with some but likely limited offensive upside. The other is an offensive defenseman who has trouble playing without the puck. Looking at points to determine who is better is simply stupid.

Guys who fail to produce at the junior level at draft +1 and make it to the NHL as an impact player are few and far between.

Even Scott Hannan was able to put up points the juniors.

You need puck skills to play in the big league, and 11 points in 45 games is a massive red flag for me.

arsmaster*

He's a slightly undersized defenseman who had 11 points in 45 games in the OHL after his draft year.

Damon Severson, at 6'2 and scored 37 points in 56 games in his draft year, proceeded to score 52 in 71 the following year. He's also three months younger than Sieloff. And he was picked 18 spots later.

Prior to getting hurt he made a very good AHL team and was looking to a fixture in their top 4.

Sieloff is a solid prospect.

Like you, I prefer Severson, but it doesn't mean Sieloff was a bad pick. He'll play in the NHL IMO.

Hindsight makes everything easier.

arsmaster*

conjecture? Someone must have posted the Feaster interview post Jankowski pick by now :laugh:

Weisbrod liked him, so did Button.

Either way, he's an insanely raw 19 year old kid who is about 35 pounds lighter than he's gonna be.

I'm not willing to call a 19 year old a bust. Just because he doesn't play in the CHL.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It sounds like he was a college FA guy and pro scout for the Bruins when Benning was there. I suspect he'll fill a similar role here versus what he did in Calgary. It seems like Benning personally oversees all the drafting and amateur scouting himself.

bo2shink*

As Buffalo's head scout, he actually drafted some stinkers in the first round but he seem to have gotten better. His work past the first round is certainly impressive if he played a big part in it.

I am not a NHL GM, but from what I've heard most of them take credit/blame for 1st round picks. Scouting becomes more important beyond the early part of the draft.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The guy is obsessed with finding diamonds in the rough to prove how much smarter he is than everyone else. Right after he got fired along with Feaster, media in Calgary started murmuring about how he wasn't very highly thought of around the league and other managers disliked the duo's arrogance.

He saw Jankowski play in December and decided he was going to be the player the Flames drafted. He had complete tunnel vision and because of him we passed over Tervainen, Hertl, and Maatta. Supposedly, Ken King and ownership weren't happy with the 2012 draft and he had his role significantly reduced for the 2013 draft (and Flames ended up doing well with Monahan, Poirier, and Klimchuk in the 1st round).

If this is Benning giving his buddy a cushy desk job and another set of eyes to watch the games alongside him, no worries. If he is going to be involved in trades and decisions regarding players then I would be worried.

I think that's what I'm most worried about with this move, not the inane O'Reilly offer sheet thing though that reflected pretty badly on their management team as a whole.

If he's the guy to set up analytics, he could be able to colour a lot of decisions that are ultimately made by others. If there's bad judgment in how the analytics are set up, then that will lead to bad decision making based on the analytics. Or he knows what he's doing and his analytics help to give a scouting advantage over other teams.

Burke disliking him may be justified or not - it's tough to say as an outsider. I tend not to give much weight to what Burke says.

Yeah, really hoping that's the case here. I'm still not sure if Benning is a guy who relies on it.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think that's what I'm most worried about with this move, not the inane O'Reilly offer sheet thing though that reflected pretty badly on their management team as a whole.

Yeah, really hoping that's the case here. I'm still not sure if Benning is a guy who relies on it.

Benning probably relies on them somewhat, along with his own eyes. He knows Boston always finished favourably in all possession metrics so I doubt he's totally ignoring them. Vrbata and Miller were far from "moneyball" signings though so I don't think he weighs them as heavily as teams like the Hawks and Kings.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Weisbrod liked him, so did Button.

Either way, he's an insanely raw 19 year old kid who is about 35 pounds lighter than he's gonna be.

I'm not willing to call a 19 year old a bust. Just because he doesn't play in the CHL.
Whether he puts on weight or even makes the AHL at this point is moot, that was a terrible series of moves, passing on very good players for what Weisbrod perceived was the pick of the draft.

The GM didn't give Button credit, he gave Weisbrod full credit, on national TV.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00