Confirmed with Link: Canucks Acquire Derek Dorsett

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
We all need to remember that if the aim is to become a legitimate four-line team, you need fourth liners that can actually play! Hopefully the days of Torts' five minutes of ice-time for the fourth line are over....played his top players like rented mules and once the ice-time and injuries piled up after Christmas they were done. ..can't believe Dorsett won't bring more to the table than the previous cast of fourth-line castoffs who split their time between the press box and a seat on the pine next to the back-up goaltender. :shakehead

Good point.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Domi told him he was going to do this. I don't think you really appreciate exactly what it feels like to have a psycho like that chase you around. Every guy in the NHL has seen something like this at some point. Every "goon" in the NHL has done something like this at some point. It doesn't sound like the hockey you play is quite the same thing.

I'm not talking about the kind of fear where you piss your pants and don't want to go out on the ice. I'm talking about the kind of fear you can't control. Maybe just a loss of concentration or a little more panic with the puck. IMO it helps to have a team that can stand up. You know it doesn't stop these things... but it helps put your mind at ease.

You don't think he can make a guy fear going into the corner first? Good Canadian kid Scott Hannan answers the bell, Klein feels like his team has his back, he keeps going into the corner first. How do you ***** out in the corner when Hannan was willing to step up and fight the plug? It's a beautiful thing imo.

I'm not sure if its just me but those videos don't work.

I think you are pontificating a little bit here...just because your hockey experience was different than mine(if it actually was), doesn't mean your experience is the one more widely experienced by people. I also disagree that "every" guy in the NHL has been chased around by a psycho or that every goon has chased someone around...it's a ridiculous generalization that I'm not sure how you came up with. Does it happen? Sure...but not to the extent you seem to portray.

I'm not going to try to refute the notion that fear exists in the NHL, if someone gets rocked, or are playing hurt, they may play with some fear of getting nailed again...but generally I don't think anyone is scared of a goon, or the threat of physical play...you don't normally get to the NHL if you fear getting hit once and a while.

Defensemen are trained to get pucks dumped into the corners first, and they're trained to take hits, and when possible, avoid hits...if Klein stopped going into the corners out of fear of being hit, he wouldn't last long in the NHL as a defenseman. It has nothing to do with Hannan "sticking up for him" (which is a joke anyway since it was a clean hit). I'm sure Klein appreciates a teammate jumping in for him if necessary, but I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that because Hannan has his back it allows Klein to actually do the job he's supposed to be doing regardless.

Anyways, I re-iterate...I don't have anything against Dorsett, he's a solid 4th line guy who plays with some grit and heart...I just don't like the cost and I don't see how anyone could find him very intimidating...at all.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I'm not sure if its just me but those videos don't work.

It was Domi on Neidermayer and a Dorsett hit on Klein.

I think you are pontificating a little bit here...just because your hockey experience was different than mine(if it actually was), doesn't mean your experience is the one more widely experienced by people. I also disagree that "every" guy in the NHL has been chased around by a psycho or that every goon has chased someone around...it's a ridiculous generalization that I'm not sure how you came up with. Does it happen? Sure...but not to the extent you seem to portray.

Every guy in the NHL has seen something like this at some point.

I said they've all seen someone get gooned. You seem to think these guys make idle threats that are easy to ignore.

My own experience is a lot closer to what we see in the NHL then what you are suggesting. I'm just asking you to consider that a good amount of players in the league are not happy to stick up for themselves by taking suspensions with their stick. A lot of these guys appreciate having guys around who are willing to stick up for them.

I'm not going to try to refute the notion that fear exists in the NHL, if someone gets rocked, or are playing hurt, they may play with some fear of getting nailed again...but generally I don't think anyone is scared of a goon, or the threat of physical play...you don't normally get to the NHL if you fear getting hit once and a while.

It's not getting hit once in a while that they're scared of. It's having someone like your buddy Raffi Torres running around trying to put them to sleep.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
It was Domi on Neidermayer and a Dorsett hit on Klein.

I said they've all seen someone get gooned. You seem to think these guys make idle threats that are easy to ignore.

My own experience is a lot closer to what we see in the NHL then what you are suggesting. I'm just asking you to consider that a good amount of players in the league are not happy to stick up for themselves by taking suspensions with their stick. A lot of these guys appreciate having guys around who are willing to stick up for them.

It's not getting hit once in a while that they're scared of. It's having someone like your buddy Raffi Torres running around trying to put them to sleep.

I think for the most part they do make idle threats that are easy to ignore...there is usually more bark than bite.

I'm sure there are a lot of guys who appreciate that...I've had guys stick up for me and it's been appreciated, but I wouldn't feel like it was a necessity for a teammate to put themselves in that position for me.

"My buddy" Raffi Torres? :huh:

I don't think many players spend too much time worrying about guys like Raffi Torres taking them out...they worry about doing their job and playing the game.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
So if the team got softer and Benning didn't get Dorsett, what would your argument be then?

Nothing because I wouldn't have to call out the BS that Dorsett makes this team braver. If Sestito and Weise didn't make them braver Dorsett won't (a better 4th line than with Sestito but a less tough). A 4th line middle weight isn't scarey.

The Canucks top 9 will be what it will be, it is not going to change. The players in our top 9 are not dirtbags, they will play the same game they always play. It is dirtbags like Marchand that are going emboldened by protectors. If Benning want to toughen up the line up he will need to add guys tough guys like Doan, Lucic, Torres to the top 9 - actually change the mix or get more dirtbags.

Until then it is just blowing so much smoke up the ***** of the fans they fart smoke rings.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I found this thread and thought I should chime in on what Dorsett does.

Pros:

-He can skate. Like, really skate. He is one of the fastest 4th liners in the league. Very fluid movement and moderately quick acceleration. Made him very helpful on the PK.

-He can PK, he was good at it this year. He's very verbal when PK'ing I've noticed. He's constantly communicating with whoever else is on the ice.

-He's got an underrated shot. Not great, but it's good. NHL level at least.

-His work ethic is excellent. All hustle. Always the 1st guy in on the forecheck.

-Can handle tough minutes. I've seen it suggested that he'd play with Shawn Matthias and Brad Richardson? He'd be a great fit on their RW.

-Real team player. Not a great fighter, but ALWAYS willing.

-His eyes are dreamy

Cons:

-Holy hell, he takes some REALLY stupid penalties. In the beginning of the year it was really, really bad with him. Most people wanted him waived after 10 games, but he really got it all together.

-He can go through streaks of games where he is really frustrated, and it'll show. He was not liked at all the first 10 games or so.

-Really can't fight and is pretty light. Not like him not being able to fight matters at all, though.

-He has a bad reputation around the league from referees from what I've seen. He NEVER gets the BOTD with a call from any ref. He racked up a lot of PIMs, but he took his fair share of really dumb, sometimes undeserved minors.

-Hockey IQ is bleh. Not a great quick decision maker, or even a good one for that matter, makes up for it with his hustle.

Overall, he was up and down the beginning of the year, but by the time February rolled around everyone loved him. Was awesome for the Rangers in the playoffs. True heart guy. I think the Canucks will love him.

Though I have to agree, if the Canucks are indeed rebuilding, it's strange to trade a pick for a bottom 6 player.

Good luck guys!

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I found this thread and thought I should chime in on what Dorsett does.

Pros:

-He can skate. Like, really skate. He is one of the fastest 4th liners in the league. Very fluid movement and moderately quick acceleration. Made him very helpful on the PK.

-He can PK, he was good at it this year. He's very verbal when PK'ing I've noticed. He's constantly communicating with whoever else is on the ice.

-He's got an underrated shot. Not great, but it's good. NHL level at least.

-His work ethic is excellent. All hustle. Always the 1st guy in on the forecheck.

-Can handle tough minutes. I've seen it suggested that he'd play with Shawn Matthias and Brad Richardson? He'd be a great fit on their RW.

-Real team player. Not a great fighter, but ALWAYS willing.

-His eyes are dreamy

Cons:

-Holy hell, he takes some REALLY stupid penalties. In the beginning of the year it was really, really bad with him. Most people wanted him waived after 10 games, but he really got it all together.

-He can go through streaks of games where he is really frustrated, and it'll show. He was not liked at all the first 10 games or so.

-Really can't fight and is pretty light. Not like him not being able to fight matters at all, though.

-He has a bad reputation around the league from referees from what I've seen. He NEVER gets the BOTD with a call from any ref. He racked up a lot of PIMs, but he took his fair share of really dumb, sometimes undeserved minors.

-Hockey IQ is bleh. Not a great quick decision maker, or even a good one for that matter, makes up for it with his hustle.

Overall, he was up and down the beginning of the year, but by the time February rolled around everyone loved him. Was awesome for the Rangers in the playoffs. True heart guy. I think the Canucks will love him.

Though I have to agree, if the Canucks are indeed rebuilding, it's strange to trade a pick for a bottom 6 player.

Good luck guys!

Thanks for the summary. Sounds good enough for the 4th line to me.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
He should be an excellent 4th liner for us, I'm hoping Hansen Richardson Dorsett makes up the 4th. Be a pretty good line

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I don't think many players spend too much time worrying about guys like Raffi Torres taking them out...they worry about doing their job and playing the game.

Actually, I'd argue that guys like Torres worry the other team more than a Standard Goon. Unless you're the other team's Standard Goon, or you happen to be on the ice during the 7 minutes a game a Standard Goon is playing, he won't effect your game plan at all. On the other hand, a hard hitter, who can play and has a reputation (deserved or otherwise) for reckless play will get a lot of guys "hearing footsteps" and hopefully rushing a play... not to mention the physical wear and tear he puts on the opposition by constantly pounding them.

If Dorsett can be a Torres type player who can back up his physical play by dropping the gloves when necessary, I'll be pretty happy with this signing.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Actually, I'd argue that guys like Torres worry the other team more than a Standard Goon. Unless you're the other team's Standard Goon, or you happen to be on the ice during the 7 minutes a game a Standard Goon is playing, he won't effect your game plan at all. On the other hand, a hard hitter, who can play and has a reputation (deserved or otherwise) for reckless play will get a lot of guys "hearing footsteps" and hopefully rushing a play... not to mention the physical wear and tear he puts on the opposition by constantly pounding them.

If Dorsett can be a Torres type player who can back up his physical play by dropping the gloves when necessary, I'll be pretty happy with this signing.
Yeah, I'd generally worry about turds like Dustin Brown on the ice more than a "designated goon" (aka Sestito). If for no other reason - he'll be on the ice a fair bit more than your run of the mill knuckledragger.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

I don't think Torres garners any "fear", you are just more aware when he's on the ice...just like you are more aware when Sidney Crosby or Steven Stamkos are on the ice. It's not a "fear" issue or intimidation, its an awareness issue.

If Dorsett can be a 3rd line guy who pots 15 goals per year and plays a physical game on the 3rd line, I'll be pretty happy too (and think he was worth the 3rd round pick)...unfortunately that's likely beyond his capabilities. I think he's a decent 4th liner, nothing more, nothing less.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I don't think Torres garners any "fear", you are just more aware when he's on the ice...just like you are more aware when Sidney Crosby or Steven Stamkos are on the ice. It's not a "fear" issue or intimidation, its an awareness issue.

If Dorsett can be a 3rd line guy who pots 15 goals per year and plays a physical game on the 3rd line, I'll be pretty happy too (and think he was worth the 3rd round pick)...unfortunately that's likely beyond his capabilities. I think he's a decent 4th liner, nothing more, nothing less.

I'll disagree, although "fear" may be the wrong word. "A healthy concern" would be better. And sure it does come down to awareness... when Crosby or Stamkos are on the ice, you are "aware" and may even cheat back a bit defensively in order to try to negate their offense. When a hard hitter like Torres is on the ice, your "awareness" might inspire you to dish the puck off a bit quicker, or make an effort to get off the train tracks. You're right, it isn't a fear issue, but getting hit hard, constantly, can be intimidating... and tiring... and painful. That's the whole point.

As for whether Dorsett manages to be a productive 3rd liner with an edge. I doubt it too. Can he be a useful grinding 4th liner who we won't be afraid to see get a regular shift? This is what I'm hoping. Him and Richardson and Hanson/Mattias has the makings of a good 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad