Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5 Sharks 2 (Brock Boeser x 2, Horvat, Miller, Dickinson

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
By the way. See Spidey fast to avoid spoilers..

I've never been a part of a mad screaming yelling clapping mob in a theater before..

Nuts...
I experienced that as part of Avengers: Infinity War

Some was ok but sure most were animators that don’t get out much

Reactions: Ozone

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Still blown away that our blueline that seems to be held together with duct tape and prayers has managed to scrape through the past two games.

Completely the opposite of last year where our depleted blue line was getting caved in to the tune of 6-7 goals a night.

Reactions: Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Still blown away that our blueline that seems to be held together with duct tape and prayers has managed to scrape through the past two games.

It's amazing what having two guys playing like #1s can do. Although I contest that Myers still makes far too many mistakes and is just not getting burned by them while also making up for them with great (and subtle) offensive plays.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It's amazing what having two guys playing like #1s can do. Although I contest that Myers still makes far too many mistakes and is just not getting burned by them while also making up for them with great (and subtle) offensive plays.

It's amazing that a coach actually thought giving up the blueline and playing passively in the defensive zone would yield positive results.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's amazing that a coach actually thought giving up the blueline and playing passively in the defensive zone would yield positive results.

Exactly, the biggest thing is active movement. When you have Thatcher Demko, you can give up open shots all day long and the movement is preventing Canucks players from screening and deflecting savable shots.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I think the promising part is we have defensemen who can step up into the role, Burroughs has been good all season and I didn’t hate what I saw from Juulsen, he got walked a couple times but he also played tough in our end, reminded me of Shane O Brien

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
It's the improved puck support in our own end. We apply much more pressure on the opposing puck carrier and it's 2-3 players help out to clear the zone. Takes so much of the pressure off our dmen. Where we got exposed was when it was an odd man rush with Juulsen playing Cogliano one-on-one.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I thought Juulsen had some strong plays in the first period that had my eyebrows perking up, but he really started flailing as the game went on.

I like his size and he seems to make a good pass. Hopefully he can start to find a groove on the bottom pairing.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I think the promising part is we have defensemen who can step up into the role, Burroughs has been good all season and I didn’t hate what I saw from Juulsen, he got walked a couple times but he also played tough in our end, reminded me of Shane O Brien

Yeah, I liked that when he had teething pains instead of stapling him to the bench Boudreau threw him right back out there, I think that'll do wonders for building his confidence. That seems to be Boudreau's secret sauce, knowing how to instill confidence.

Reactions: Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That's the thing that always impresses you about the good teams in the NHL.....no matter how many guys go down with injury, they seem to be able to keep winning with the 'next man up' philosophy. Let's face it, two weeks ago the decimation on the Canucks blueline would have resulted in a freefall.

But good teams seem to have a system in place that everybody understands, and players can come out of the press-box or up from the minors and fit seamlessly into the lineup. Of course it helps when you have a franchise goalie like Demko doing his thing.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It was astonishing to watch. I was in disbelief, an NHL coach thought it was a good idea not to forecheck and give up the blue line expecting to win

the difference is night and day

green's system was when you have the puck in the offensive zone, turn your back to the net and pass it laterally or backwards and hope you can absorb the pressure

under bouds, everybody faces the net in the o-zone, you always move the puck forwards

this isn't rocket science

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought Juulsen had some strong plays in the first period that had my eyebrows perking up, but he really started flailing as the game went on.

I like his size and he seems to make a good pass. Hopefully he can start to find a groove on the bottom pairing.

He has pretty good puck skills. But mobility is a real issue.

Juulsen had one out-of-character really good breakout in last night's game but otherwise was horrible, and was absolutely terrible at transitioning the puck in the AHL. It's the weakest part of his game, like sub-Gudbranson level.

He has decent defensive fundamentals but when you're slow and can't make a breakout pass, you're screwed.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I liked Dickinson last night. His best game even though he only got an EN goal. He was everywhere.
Juulsen isn't too bad. Good to have as an option. I noticed Toronto has Biega on the roster and brought back some memories. Juulsen can hopefully be something like that?
Still not sold on Burroughs but he seems to work hard at least.

Reactions: Grantham

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think people struggle to see obvious faults in players when they play small roles or short stints.

Like, Fantenberg, there was a legitimate sentiment that this was a decent #6D. He was in the KHL a month after his final game. It shouldn't have been surprising anyways considering he was absurdly overmatched at an NHL level.

Juulsen is nowhere close to an NHL caliber depth defender.

He shouldn't be one of the top 10 D in any organization. To be fair, he isn't even one in this organization. He's somewhere been 12-15th.

Reactions: John Johnson

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
No we were not a shitty team. We were coached by a shitty coach. That is a big difference. If we were a shitty team, then we would still lose games under Bruce. You dont gain or lose skills overnight.

true statement right here. the roster we know was better than it actually was. 20 games in and it took that pittsburgh lost to finally pull the plug on green/benning should have done it sooner when van lost those games against vegas and colorado earlier.. then bruce would have lots of time to implement his systems. but whats done is done. winning 6 straight with only 3 top 4 dman. while other 2 are hurt/in covid protocol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad