Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Red Wings 1. Wait, what?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I have some minor quibbles (with Markstrom mostly) but the team looks so much better on the road. Green deserves a lot of credit. It's great they found a way to get past special teams awkwardness.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Well, take this into consideration: Players HATE Sunday afternoon games. The energy is NOTORIOUSLY low and we often see complete no-shows by one of the teams involved.

I'm not taking anything away from the Canucks, who I have no doubt can skate with the Wings (even though that's' not saying much) but Detroit was a total no-show.

There is a problem with the Detroit Red Wings, a big problem.

They are the most stale franchise in all of pro sports. when I was a kid they were THRILLING, dramatic, dynamic, they were from F***king Detroit Rock City and had the coolest logo ever. I remember games against the Leafs, Blackhawks or Blues were WARS, and they had distinctive players with personalities that they expressed through how they played.

I say that for years they were the most entertaining thing to watch in all of pro-sports

Then somewhere between the "dead puck" era, Mr. Anti-entertainment Mike Babcock's "We don't fight, we play defense and block shots" coaching and Hollands "Keep em' in the minors till they are 30" philosophy, they have become the most stale, boring, lame franchise in sports today.

There is ZERO emotional content in their game, this team is so far away from the team that went to war against the Avalanche in what can be described as a "gang-rumble" on ice, it boggles the mind.

It's not just about fighting, it's about risk-taking, reckless abandon, actually caring about bringing the crowd out of their seats.

Babcock turned this franchise into an Olympic hockey team, that played systems without emotion, they preyed on teams who were faithful to the NHL product and played a wild entertaining style.

Because that's really the point at the end of the day. Hockey and the NHL aren't one and the same. The NHL is a BRAND of hockey, a BRAND of entertainment.

The NHL brand ALWAYS stood for a wild and violent but also sublimely artistic emotionally charged entertainment,

Over the last 20 years that has been the struggle, the game is not what it was, it is being pushed toward becoming Olympic brand hockey, but the reluctance of fans to embrace that have resulted in a half-a$$ed presentation that is neither fish nor foul.

Personally, I could care less about the Olympics, I think anyone who gets swept up by nationalism in 2017 is a raving idiot, and I find the on-ice product to be much closer to soccer than the NHL style of hockey I grew up on.

And no team represents this half-a$$ed Olympic style like the Red Wings, they are boring to watch, boring to read about and where they were once the Iggy and the Stooges of hockey, Raw Power on ice, Kick out the jams M**ther F**kers, MC5 bad a$$ team from a bad a$$ town. A team that represented thier city better than anyone are at the point where they are the most UN-Detroit style team I can think of..

This team needs to fire EVERYONE, top to bottom, trade EVERYONE top to bottom.

If Liitches kids are runing things then let them work on a new era,

Because right now watching the Red Wings is like watching a zombie that JUST WON'T DIE!!!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently Blashill was furious with his team after this one.....outshot by 2-1 margin in their own building and without Howard it could have been 7-1....beautiful building, but wow, all those empty red seats.....Canucks sure ain't the draw they used to be.

Virtanen with his best career game....this kid's speed is at the elite level....gave the Wings d-men fits all night and basically carried the Sedin line....just needed a coach like Green who believed in him but still holds him accountable.....you could see that Vanek really wanted to score against the Wings who traded him last year, but being held down by linemates Burmistrov and Gagner who are doing nothing....I know Gagner has a three year deal, but it is impossible to believe that either Goldobin or Boucher wouldn't bring as much or more to the table right now.

On to Minny, a Canuck road-kill graveyard over the years....but the Wild are hurting with injuries, so who knows?....Canucks basically dominated two struggling teams in the Sabres and Wings, but they'll need a herculean effort in the last game of their five-game roadsie.

member 290103

I gotta say, pretty impressive trip thus far from the Canucks. The way they whimpered out of their homestand, I really thought they would have fell flat on the road.

I also have to say that it is really exciting not to have to watch the Sedins constantly. The Canucks are slowly earning back my interest the way they are going.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Been tied up all day. Good to see them pull out a win in Hockeytown.

You think Sven is coming out of his early season with these two goals? Or lucky bounces? Either way... confidence!

Nice to see Jake on the board and getting PP time. A point for Brock.

I think we all knew we were getting a project in Pouliot. Not expecting anything from him right away but hoping he can improve steadily esp in his own zone.

On to Minnesota... playoffs, baby!

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Team is looking surprisingly solid. Were clearly the best team in this game.

Good

Tanev - best player per usual. Work in his own end is as good any Canuck I've seen. Takes people off the puck , gets it up the forward continually. Just blankets players in his zone.

Horvat - very heavy player to compete against. Kept plays alive in the offensive end leading to goals or opportunities and bull rushed the puck thru the neutral zone. Very good at establishing puck possession

Baertschi - could see he was starting to heat up and was getting chances. Today he finished off some of those chances. When he is skating well and getting himself room becomes effective player

Gudbranson - don't know what people expect here if they say he was bad. He was solid. Went to the body and made people pay going to the net. Moved the puck up well and broke up plays at his line. His play in the first was dominant and helped establish a tone for the team.

Markstrom - still wonder about the glove hand high side but also made some critical saves

Virtanen - team still needs to find ways of exploiting the speed from neutral zone in. Virtanen also need to try to pick spots with his shots rather than just trying to get it on net. But in this game was clearly an offensive force. Just leave him with the Sedins and let things develop. Have to live with the good and the bad. Don't think going over the "x's and o's during the game helps much. Probably just confuses him and is better worked on in practice

Dorsett - providing the team with a strong forecheck, some scoring, grit and very sound defensive play. Always has been a better player than some give him credit for but right now chances going in.

Del Zotto - played a ton and generally did fine. Handling traffic around his net better than anticipated and so far having a good season. Makes excellent passes out of his end and recovers back on defense very well.

Bad

Sutter needs to be skating (his strongest asset) to be effective. Thought he lugged a bit and was very blah.

Gagner - sort of just there. Not doing anything atrocious but, in the end, contributing too little. Could get the same play out of many players making a lot less money

Others

Burmistrov - can't fault the effort but gets bounced out of the play too easily.

Hutton - playing better in his end which is key to his development

Boeser - again very sharp with the puck and getting in position to score. Thought he again tired in the third.

Pouliot - he is surviving out there which at this point that is encouraging. However, makes too many difficult plays and needs to keep it simple. Prone to turnovers at his blue line and jumps up and gets caught too much.

Granlund - again did a lot of little things to break up plays. Like to see him played at center and Sutter moved to the wing. Much more chance they will get some offense out of his line

At the moment this is a very motivated and well organized team.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Apparently Blashill was furious with his team after this one.....outshot by 2-1 margin in their own building and without Howard it could have been 7-1....beautiful building, but wow, all those empty red seats.....Canucks sure ain't the draw they used to be.

Virtanen with his best career game....this kid's speed is at the elite level....gave the Wings d-men fits all night and basically carried the Sedin line....just needed a coach like Green who believed in him but still holds him accountable.....you could see that Vanek really wanted to score against the Wings who traded him last year, but being held down by linemates Burmistrov and Gagner who are doing nothing....I know Gagner has a three year deal, but it is impossible to believe that either Goldobin or Boucher wouldn't bring as much or more to the table right now.

On to Minny, a Canuck road-kill graveyard over the years....but the Wild are hurting with injuries, so who knows?....Canucks basically dominated two struggling teams in the Sabres and Wings, but they'll need a herculean effort in the last game of their five-game roadsie.

If Minny puts their back up goalie in we are sure to lose.

Its a nice start, and it shows what sensible coaching can do. I still think this is a bottom 10 team overall, but you gotta enjoy the try in their game. I think when Gaunce is ready to play, Gagner will have to take a seat.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Look at the quality of competition. They've beaten Buffalo, Detroit and a out of sync Edmonton team. Let's temper our expectations, the season is young us as Canucks fans should know this after the past 2 seasons.
Also beat Ottawa in their own barn,and come to think of it,we almost beat Ottawa here in Vancouver as well...Expectations have probably never been lower in franchise history than they are now......Fortunately,Green has them playing a style that has the team forcing the play,as opposed to Willie's stifling defensive game (which was boring as hell).

I've seen a lot of really bad Canuck teams through the years,and this squad and coaching staff are not one of them..

Reactions: Nomobo

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Just a big change(compared to years passed) that I've noticed by the Canucks on this road trip is that 9/10 you get a player in the slot with the puck, they're ripping it on net. A lot less holding on to the puck and trying to get in too close or set up extended plays.

Its a nice change, and really fits the personall for the most part. I wonder if it can be effective all season long.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Team is looking surprisingly solid. Were clearly the best team in this game.

Good

Horvat - very heavy player to compete against. Kept plays alive in the offensive end leading to goals or opportunities and bull rushed the puck thru the neutral zone. Very good at establishing puck possession

Baertschi - could see he was starting to heat up and was getting chances. Today he finished off some of those chances. When he is skating well and getting himself room becomes effective player

Virtanen - team still needs to find ways of exploiting the speed from neutral zone in. Virtanen also need to try to pick spots with his shots rather than just trying to get it on net. But in this game was clearly an offensive force. Just leave him with the Sedins and let things develop. Have to live with the good and the bad. Don't think going over the "x's and o's during the game helps much. Probably just confuses him and is better worked on in practice

Boeser - again very sharp with the puck and getting in position to score. Thought he again tired in the third.

I just skimmed through this thread looking for opinions on these players and your analysis summed my thoughts up as well, almost exactly. Specifically jake having a great game but his shot will define wether hes an energy player or a goal scorer.

Loved his play but he took quite a few shots that did not seem to have his full attention or effort, some games he will only get 1 shot on goal he has to start making those count. But otherwise I liked him all season.

Also very much agree on baertschi, people were hard on baertschi almost unfairly. Like jake he was not producing but he was creating tons of opportunities just failing to capitilize. That is typically a good sign and when i give players leeway if they are creating chances. Of course eventually they need to bury those and sven did tonight. Also agree on horvat, like last year when a few posters were hard on him (and i was in one game last week) he has generally been very good, a bull on the puck and working to create chances like early last season.

The bolded on brock though I am not sure I agree with. I dont know if he was tired or they had the lead and typically the team in general just defended. I seen some people mention him floating. I feel like some need to accept what brocks play style is, a very smart player with a lethal shot, he finds openings on the ice and is usually in the right place and has a great shot to score goals or make plays when he finds those spots. He is not going to be a fast forward driving the play hunting down pucks on his line, at least not at this current stage unless something changes. I see a james neal type player currently. Horvat will have to be the driver on that line.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Also beat Ottawa in their own barn,and come to think of it,we almost beat Ottawa here in Vancouver as well...Expectations have probably never been lower in franchise history than they are now......Fortunately,Green has them playing a style that has the team forcing the play,as opposed to Willie's stifling defensive game (which was boring as hell).

I've seen a lot of really bad Canuck teams through the years,and this squad and coaching staff are not one of them..
It's absolutely hilarious how the narrative changes to this after wings against arguably the two worst teams in the league. Let's continue this discussion at game 60 of the year.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It's absolutely hilarious how the narrative changes to this after wings against arguably the two worst teams in the league. Let's continue this discussion at game 60 of the year.

It is hard to draw conclusions on this game especially, the wings looked like they could care less playing Vancouver, it was one of the worst games by a team I have seen so far this season.

Reactions: dim jim

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
It's absolutely hilarious how the narrative changes to this after wings against arguably the two worst teams in the league. Let's continue this discussion at game 60 of the year.[/QUOT

What's more hilarious is you and others refusing to give credit where credit is due. Nobody has said that we'll be contending for the cup only that we're not a bottom 5 team and that we're thrash as so many are spouting.

Reactions: ddawg1950

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Whether Detroit played bad or not (which they did) It was nice to cheer for us and for the young guys who took advtg of the situation. Still hoping for Dahlin of course but nice during the season to have games like this :)

Reactions: The Stig

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I'm sorry, but Del Zotto is in WAY over his head right now

He has the skill to contribute offensively, and he's no slouch either, he busts a$$,

But Del Zotto in the D zone has no clue what he's doing, in the game we just saw, I came in at the end, turned in the TV and there he was three feet from his D partner crowding the right side, pass into the slot, great save, puck goes up ice.

It's THAT kind of thing that he is shockingly inept at, so much talent, but so bad at the fundamentals of his position. I was taught not to be on the boards, with my partner, on HIS SIDE OF THE ICE when I was 12.

I'm hoping he comes one of our biggest tank commanders, and his plus-minus and his ice time, tell me he will be.

What I am really concerned with is that Jim has finally F.A'ed his way to a .500 hockey team, that would be death for us, we could be doomed for a decade if that happens, we MUST LOSE THIS YEAR, if we are ever going to win.

It's probably for the best that you weren't around for the first period, Del Zotto seemed to have at least a half dozen small brain seizures in his own zone and generally seemed hungover or something. I thought he actually picked it up a little later in the game. I'm not that concerned about being out of the running for the tankard just yet, it's early enough that we can enjoy a few wins now. We'll make a strong move in that direction soon enough I think. I hope.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What do find hilarious Dim Jim?...If you read my post I explained HOW they've won this year compared to the beginning of last year...If it still just looks like the same ol' to you as last year,and you're predicting a 10 game losing skid coming up...then carry on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad