Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Red Wings 1. Wait, what?

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Have to wonder just how bad Detroit is that Vancouver could assert their will on them so utterly. I can't recall the last time I saw the Canucks tilt the rink like that (I missed the Sabres game).

GOOD
  • Jake Virtanen had a whale of a game, easily his best in the uniform, and for once looked very much like a player you'd not be surprised to learn was drafted 6th overall. Seemed to constantly find open ice with his speed, and peppered the net with shots. Some low percentage hoper shots such as we've become accustomed to him taking, but a few dangerous looks in there as well. Here's hoping it's a young player finding his legs and confidence and not just a Detroit team too apathetic to play defense.
  • Bo Horvat played a pugnacious game and was rewarded for his toil with a couple of nice assists. Was very effective on the forecheck.
  • Noted sniper Dorsett struck again to keep his point streak alive. That line played well all night and had a few dangerous chances.
  • Hutton played a ton and looked confident with the puck.
  • Baertschi finally gets the monkey off his back and immediately pots a 2nd. He's been a ghost to start the year so lets hope this lights a fire under him.
  • Markstrom looked very big and very competent. Can't fault him overly on the shot that went in.
BAD
  • Pouliot had a couple of pizzas in his own zone, offsetting his assist and workmanlike effort on the PP.
  • Vanek took a silly penalty and Sedined a good two on one opportunity.
  • Stetcher got hurt.
  • Boeser only managed a single point.
This is a rather alarming winning streak out of nowhere for a team that has no business winning a lot of games. Have to hand Green some credit for getting the team to play with hustle and confidence after that disastrous home stand.

Reactions: Red

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Surprisingly solid effort, though you wonder how things could have gone if Detroit shot the puck at all well.

Good to see the young'uns stepping up. Gudbranson had a decent game as well, I thought. Too bad about Stecher, and Pouliot's turnovers are reminding me of Sbisa without the physical play.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Ok here we go if anyone (probably noone) cares:

Fwds

Horvat - Best game of the year imo he used his speed he read plays well blocked A TON of shots and passes by Detroit and picked up two appies (assists)

Boeser - Stil learning the game made some mistakes floated a bit but showed hes gonna be a hell of a player for us hopefully for a long time.

Baertchi - Getting better in better every game and rewarded twice here today.

Virtanen - Obvi his best game as a Canuck played smart played hard and physical presence out there too

Sedins - a lil more energy out there after a few games of limited minutes. Good to see hopefully Coach Green keeps limiting there minutes

Granlund - Still invisible mostly but had a nice hit

Dorset - Hell of a player right now for us. Hopefully keeps it up as long as possible

Vanek - I like Vanek

Gagner - Should be benched

Sutter - Hot Garbage

Burmur - Kinda invisible too. Shot is pretty weak i thought

Defense

Tanev - Like a rock

De Zotto - Continues to impress. A lot to like from him

Pouliot - Not bad surprisingly. Liked his game tbh

Hutton - Coming around slowly still does some head scratchers tho

Stetchy boy Stecher - Hopefully injury isnt TOO bad and misses minimum time

Gudbranson - Not his worst game

Goalie

Marky - Good when he had to be but quite game for him

Reactions: Nucker101 and clunk

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Holy Christ, either Jake was unbelievably nervous for the interview or he's so excited he's about to soil his hockey pants,

Was great to see that HUGE smile on his face when the camera went live, it looked like he was trying to stop but couldn't.

Well, after all the crap of the last few years, I feel like this is it.....

....JAKE VIRTANEN IS NOW AN NHL PLAYER

Good for you chubs!

Yeah, and the whole rollercoaster ride was easily avoidable by not pushing him into the lineup wet behind the ears and still in his Justin Bieber phase. Presumably to sell sweaters.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The team had the exact same record last year, I can't imagine what you were saying when they were 4-0-1 last year. Calm down, my god.
Those wins early last season went in to OT,or had Miller stealing the game..Thats not the case this season...Canucks have won 3 out of 4 on this road trip, fair and square....You have to like the way that Green has this team playing.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Not gonna do a whole breakdown but:

Sutter way better than he gets credit for

Dorsett amazing

Del Zotto awful

Hutton really good

Gudbranson solid

Gagne horrible

Baertchi getting better

Granlund decent

Sedins much better

Virtanen excellent

Horvat and Boeser - not that good tonight

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
Pouliot's game was lights and shadows for me.

Good offensively especially in the third, some potentially bad mistakes defensively, especially in the first.

Still not sold about him. Not at all.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
9 shots for Virtanen...wow! When is the last time a Canuck had that many shots in a game??

Daniel against Minny had 10 in February 2015. Then you have to go back to Kesler in November 2013, also with 10. There was a number of players that did it in 2013 though: Edler, Daniel, Garrison, and Kesler again.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Not gonna do a whole breakdown but:

Sutter way better than he gets credit for

Dorsett amazing

Del Zotto awful ???????????????????
??????????

Hutton really good

Gudbranson solid

Gagne horrible

Baertchi getting better

Granlund decent

Sedins much better

Virtanen excellent

Horvat and Boeser - not that good tonight

Zotto awful? Wtf lmao

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Have to wonder just how bad Detroit is that Vancouver could assert their will on them so utterly. I can't recall the last time I saw the Canucks tilt the rink like that (I missed the Sabres game).

GOOD
  • Jake Virtanen had a whale of a game, easily his best in the uniform, and for once looked very much like a player you'd not be surprised to learn was drafted 6th overall. Seemed to constantly find open ice with his speed, and peppered the net with shots. Some low percentage hoper shots such as we've become accustomed to him taking, but a few dangerous looks in there as well. Here's hoping it's a young player finding his legs and confidence and not just a Detroit team too apathetic to play defense.
  • Bo Horvat played a pugnacious game and was rewarded for his toil with a couple of nice assists. Was very effective on the forecheck.
  • Noted sniper Dorsett struck again to keep his point streak alive. That line played well all night and had a few dangerous chances.
  • Hutton played a ton and looked confident with the puck.
  • Baertschi finally gets the monkey off his back and immediately pots a 2nd. He's been a ghost to start the year so lets hope this lights a fire under him.
  • Markstrom looked very big and very competent. Can't fault him overly on the shot that went in.
BAD
  • Pouliot had a couple of pizzas in his own zone, offsetting his assist and workmanlike effort on the PP.
  • Vanek took a silly penalty and Sedined a good two on one opportunity.
  • Stetcher got hurt.
  • Boeser only managed a single point.
This is a rather alarming winning streak out of nowhere for a team that has no business winning a lot of games. Have to hand Green some credit for getting the team to play with hustle and confidence after that disastrous home stand.

Well, take this into consideration: Players HATE Sunday afternoon games. The energy is NOTORIOUSLY low and we often see complete no-shows by one of the teams involved.

I'm not taking anything away from the Canucks, who I have no doubt can skate with the Wings (even though that's' not saying much) but Detroit was a total no-show.

There is a problem with the Detroit Red Wings, a big problem.

They are the most stale franchise in all of pro sports. when I was a kid they were THRILLING, dramatic, dynamic, they were from F***king Detroit Rock City and had the coolest logo ever. I remember games against the Leafs, Blackhawks or Blues were WARS, and they had distinctive players with personalities that they expressed through how they played.

I say that for years they were the most entertaining thing to watch in all of pro-sports

Then somewhere between the "dead puck" era, Mr. Anti-entertainment Mike Babcock's "We don't fight, we play defense and block shots" coaching and Hollands "Keep em' in the minors till they are 30" philosophy, they have become the most stale, boring, lame franchise in sports today.

There is ZERO emotional content in their game, this team is so far away from the team that went to war against the Avalanche in what can be described as a "gang-rumble" on ice, it boggles the mind.

It's not just about fighting, it's about risk-taking, reckless abandon, actually caring about bringing the crowd out of their seats.

Babcock turned this franchise into an Olympic hockey team, that played systems without emotion, they preyed on teams who were faithful to the NHL product and played a wild entertaining style.

Because that's really the point at the end of the day. Hockey and the NHL aren't one and the same. The NHL is a BRAND of hockey, a BRAND of entertainment.

The NHL brand ALWAYS stood for a wild and violent but also sublimely artistic emotionally charged entertainment,

Over the last 20 years that has been the struggle, the game is not what it was, it is being pushed toward becoming Olympic brand hockey, but the reluctance of fans to embrace that have resulted in a half-a$$ed presentation that is neither fish nor foul.

Personally, I could care less about the Olympics, I think anyone who gets swept up by nationalism in 2017 is a raving idiot, and I find the on-ice product to be much closer to soccer than the NHL style of hockey I grew up on.

And no team represents this half-a$$ed Olympic style like the Red Wings, they are boring to watch, boring to read about and where they were once the Iggy and the Stooges of hockey, Raw Power on ice, Kick out the jams M**ther F**kers, MC5 bad a$$ team from a bad a$$ town. A team that represented thier city better than anyone are at the point where they are the most UN-Detroit style team I can think of..

This team needs to fire EVERYONE, top to bottom, trade EVERYONE top to bottom.

If Liitches kids are runing things then let them work on a new era,

Because right now watching the Red Wings is like watching a zombie that JUST WON'T DIE!!!

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Those wins early last season went in to OT,or had Miller stealing the game..Thats not the case this season...Canucks have won 3 out of 4 on this road trip, fair and square....You have to like the way that Green has this team playing.
Look at the quality of competition. They've beaten Buffalo, Detroit and a out of sync Edmonton team. Let's temper our expectations, the season is young us as Canucks fans should know this after the past 2 seasons.

Reactions: Tryamkin

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Zotto awful? Wtf lmao

I'm sorry, but Del Zotto is in WAY over his head right now

He has the skill to contribute offensively, and he's no slouch either, he busts a$$,

But Del Zotto in the D zone has no clue what he's doing, in the game we just saw, I came in at the end, turned in the TV and there he was three feet from his D partner crowding the right side, pass into the slot, great save, puck goes up ice.

It's THAT kind of thing that he is shockingly inept at, so much talent, but so bad at the fundamentals of his position. I was taught not to be on the boards, with my partner, on HIS SIDE OF THE ICE when I was 12.

I'm hoping he comes one of our biggest tank commanders, and his plus-minus and his ice time, tell me he will be.

What I am really concerned with is that Jim has finally F.A'ed his way to a .500 hockey team, that would be death for us, we could be doomed for a decade if that happens, we MUST LOSE THIS YEAR, if we are ever going to win.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Well, take this into consideration: Players HATE Sunday afternoon games. The energy is NOTORIOUSLY low and we often see complete no-shows by one of the teams involved.

I'm not taking anything away from the Canucks, who I have no doubt can skate with the Wings (even though that's' not saying much) but Detroit was a total no-show.

There is a problem with the Detroit Red Wings, a big problem.

They are the most stale franchise in all of pro sports. when I was a kid they were THRILLING, dramatic, dynamic, they were from F***king Detroit Rock City and had the coolest logo ever. I remember games against the Leafs, Blackhawks or Blues were WARS, and they had distinctive players with personalities that they expressed through how they played.

I say that for years they were the most entertaining thing to watch in all of pro-sports

Then somewhere between the "dead puck" era, Mr. Anti-entertainment Mike Babcock's "We don't fight, we play defense and block shots" coaching and Hollands "Keep em' in the minors till they are 30" philosophy, they have become the most stale, boring, lame franchise in sports today.

There is ZERO emotional content in their game, this team is so far away from the team that went to war against the Avalanche in what can be described as a "gang-rumble" on ice, it boggles the mind.

It's not just about fighting, it's about risk-taking, reckless abandon, actually caring about bringing the crowd out of their seats.

Babcock turned this franchise into an Olympic hockey team, that played systems without emotion, they preyed on teams who were faithful to the NHL product and played a wild entertaining style.

Because that's really the point at the end of the day. Hockey and the NHL aren't one and the same. The NHL is a BRAND of hockey, a BRAND of entertainment.

The NHL brand ALWAYS stood for a wild and violent but also sublimely artistic emotionally charged entertainment,

Over the last 20 years that has been the struggle, the game is not what it was, it is being pushed toward becoming Olympic brand hockey, but the reluctance of fans to embrace that have resulted in a half-a$$ed presentation that is neither fish nor foul.

Personally, I could care less about the Olympics, I think anyone who gets swept up by nationalism in 2017 is a raving idiot, and I find the on-ice product to be much closer to soccer than the NHL style of hockey I grew up on.

And no team represents this half-a$$ed Olympic style like the Red Wings, they are boring to watch, boring to read about and where they were once the Iggy and the Stooges of hockey, Raw Power on ice, Kick out the jams M**ther F**kers, MC5 bad a$$ team from a bad a$$ town. A team that represented thier city better than anyone are at the point where they are the most UN-Detroit style team I can think of..

This team needs to fire EVERYONE, top to bottom, trade EVERYONE top to bottom.

If Liitches kids are runing things then let them work on a new era,

Because right now watching the Red Wings is like watching a zombie that JUST WON'T DIE!!!

Well I learned one new thing today: that I'm a "raving idiot". You know, because I'm nationalistic and support my country in the Olympics.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
lmao damn, i missed this

That is BEAUTIFUL!

He was TOTALLY going for the Kronwall there too, you can tell, he probably saw that button hook and figured he was going to destroy him.

Not tonight you half-a$$ed Konstantinov wanna-be!

Ain't no Kronwalls gettin' built-in Abottsford!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Probably a combination of both (rather than one or the other).

It's not like this just one game (Canucks seem to be putting together a nice streak here...*on the road no less*).

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
The team had the exact same record last year, I can't imagine what you were saying when they were 4-0-1 last year. Calm down, my god.
Playing devils advocate they never lead 1 second during that span if I recall, or it was a small amount like 5 minutes or so.

This team is bad, but not really bad, which kinda sucks but their slightly entertaining so.... positive?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Look at the quality of competition. They've beaten Buffalo, Detroit and a out of sync Edmonton team. Let's temper our expectations, the season is young us as Canucks fans should know this after the past 2 seasons.

and they shutout ottawa on the road and lost to them in a shootout at home.

but yeah, the season is young, and the calgary and boston games went pretty badly and the winnipeg game was stinky too. and on paper and past performance we should stink, so maybe we will. otoh, if we win all year on goals from guys virtanen, and baertschi is anyone buy y2k sad?

my view is that green is really stil just trying to figure things out. he is being very patient and trying to find spots for everyone's game to fit and adjusting as he goes. it's very different to willie's "here's the system, now everyone but the sedins go play it". way more individual coaching is happening.

i thought nearly everyone played well. pouliot and markstrom played well except for some bobbles. gagner is the only turd in a punch bowl. he currently resembles a less talented and less engaged wellwood.

i think green will hang with markstrom a while longer. the problem is mental not fundamentals. he either sheds it or he is a career back up.

i still don't know on pouliot but i am enjoying watching. maybe he is just lucky his mistakes are not hurting us more, but he is trying to be a difference maker every shift and i like that. hoping he breaks through.

hope stech bounces back. i thought he was starting to find his game. glad to see baertsh and virt come throught. honourable mention to gudbranson who has another noticably less bad game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad