Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Penguins 2 - Daylight savings. We get an extra hour to *****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
They are generating a ton of quality chances though, and that's important. Under MJ they sat back and played a ridiculous system that taxed their pivots. This coaching staff and the players are also proven champions... back to back.

If they keep getting these quality chances the dam should eventually break. JR can't panic and do something dumb.

However, he can call up a talented goal scorer and see how that goes. Worst case he is sent back down. Best case they have a guy who helps spark the team. Sometimes it just takes once piece and everything falls into place...

But, Kuhn...
Kuhn.

Kuhn.

It makes 0.0% sense playing Kuhn with Malkin when you have an absolute stud wasting away in the minors.

They are almost like a bad parent that eats dessert in front of their kids, denying them a taste and gloating the whole time how good it tastes.

I may catch a flight this week to the Burgh and demand a meeting with Sully and JR>

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The problem is the Penguins have a shortage of Hornqvist-esque players, they have 1 (or 2 if you include Rust) and they need 3 or 4. I want Sprong playing with Malkin personally, but I don't like Kessel and Sheahan together, that's the big issue. I guess if Sheahan and Kessel start meshing well, you keep Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist together, have Guentzel-Malkin-Sprong as your 2nd line and Rust-Sheahan-Kessel as your 3rd line. I'm just not a fan of that 3rd line.

Hence you, me, and a few others wondering if maybe they don't trade a skill wing for a grit wing to balance this all out. If ZAR could quickly get his ass in gear to help, that would be wonderful.

Tbh, my greedy dream is that we have Sheary-Sheahan-Hornqvist as a line in the play-offs... the 4th line. All that takes is an extra centre who meshes with Kessel, somehow translate Hagelin into a LW that goes with Geno and Sprong, and of course Sprong to be what we think he is. Oh, and Guentzel refinding his mojo with Crosby, but I'm confident about that. Which isn't all that much to ask, is it...?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Letang may or not need an extra 4 minutes physical rest spread over each game, but 4 extra minutes to relax mentally might be in order.

He is clearly leading the League on the wrong side of +/- . Part of this could just be the bounces but not all of it. He should be a significant + on this Team, or at least close to even.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It makes 0.0% sense playing Kuhn with Malkin when you have an absolute stud wasting away in the minors.

They are almost like a bad parent that eats dessert in front of their kids, denying them a taste and gloating the whole time how good it tastes.

I may catch a flight this week to the Burgh and demand a meeting with Sully and JR>

Another month or two in the A isn't going to make some dramatic difference in Sprong's overall game. I've said it before, but his biggest problem is puck mgmt and he won't learn that until he's playing agt NHL players.

If things were going well, I could see letting him marinade down there, as it wouldn't hurt him. However, he's ready now and they are resorting to playing a complete coal miner with Malkin. It's absurd and illogical.

Again... what is the worst that happens? Sprong shows he can't handle shit and has to go back down for a couple more months. Ohs nos!

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

And Reaves has a funny shirt. The Pens don't deserve a funny shirt right now.

That was a great interview. Reaves best buddy growing up is the interviewer’s son, so a lot of the segment involved funny stories from Reaves childhood.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Was at the game last night, general observations (all slightly skewed by too much bad tasting and overpriced wine):

1. Murray made some nice saves, but looked like he was fighting it all night,
2. I still don't like the makeup, but the fourth line of Reaves, Kegger and Hags looked not too bad and were cycling the puck well,
3. The Pens PP looked good in the first, not as much after that,
4. Pens had a number of sick scoring chances that would go in most times,
5. Letang looked as bad in person as people have been describing on this board. He actually looks like Pouliot with his delayed reactions and being out of position,
6. I am thankful I did not have to see the likes of Trotman, etc live,
7. Sid, Horny and Sheary looked pretty good together. Sid, Kess, and Guntzel looked ok in the o-zone, but were putrid in their own end,
8. Kuhn is not a top 6 winger. Geno looked unengaged when he was on his line

Reactions: td_ice

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I remember watching Reaves' dad play football...he was the greatest running back in CFL history! Had a brief stint with the Redskins, too.

I'm starting to get really frustrated with Sullivan's lines. I know he says we can't let frustration creep in, but his lines lead me to be just that.

The only five-on-five goal scored last night was because fourth liners were playing with fourth liners. Hagelin did some early work, Kuhnhackl replaced him, Reaves made the play at the point and McKegg finished.

The problem is we currently have FIVE fourth liners in the regular lineup: Hagelin, Kuhnhackl, Reaves, McKegg and Sheahan. There's no balance, so trying to forcefeed balance gets us where we are right now...will all of our big guns in a massive slump, five on five.

On a positive note, Guentzel looked like Guentzel again. Hopefully this is the start of a run. Also, I thought Corrado played well and Ruhwedel seems to be gaining a lot of confidence.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't know how anyone can complain about last night's game.

Pens had the puck most of the game, pens out chanced and out shoot them by a wide margin.

If the pens play that game 10 times they are going to win 9 of those games, it just happened that light night was the game they lost.

Reactions: crossicepass

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Hey guys, Avs fan here. Curious about Guentzel, what's going on with him this season? After last year and the playoffs I really thought he was going to explode but he seems to be struggling a bit out of the gate. Is he not getting playing time with Sid as much this year? Injuries?

Thanks y'all.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't know how anyone can complain about last night's game.

Pens had the puck most of the game, pens out chanced and out shoot them by a wide margin.

If the pens play that game 10 times they are going to win 9 of those games, it just happened that light night was the game they lost.

Sorry, I'd rather less possession and more goals.

If we play Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary and Rust-Malkin-Kessel as the top six, we probably get hemmed into our own zone more, but we likely bury a few of those chances off the rush and most of our top players break out of their slump.

Last night, we played exactly how Travis Green wanted.

This team needs to get back to scoring goals off the rush and out-chancing opponents. Sullivan might not like it, but it's how HIS teams have won Cups.

We have the very best goaltender in the NHL when games are wide open. Take advantage of that already!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hey guys, Avs fan here. Curious about Guentzel, what's going on with him this season? After last year and the playoffs I really thought he was going to explode but he seems to be struggling a bit out of the gate. Is he not getting playing time with Sid as much this year? Injuries?

Thanks y'all.

Hot in pre-season, started hot, but didn't score in a few games and seemed to lose a bit of confidence, particularly as his line were giving it up for free in their own end. He's played away from Sid quite a bit this year as a consequence, but that's the result and not the cause of poor form.

Sounds like he might be finding his way back - the great thing about an out of form Guentzel is he's still in the right place trying to do the right things, its not like his game goes to pieces - and when he does the points will follow. He'll probably spending a fair bit of time away from Sid this season but I'd still expect him to score a fair few once his form is back.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sorry, I'd rather less possession and more goals.

If we play Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary and Rust-Malkin-Kessel as the top six, we probably get hemmed into our own zone more, but we likely bury a few of those chances off the rush and most of our top players break out of their slump.

Last night, we played exactly how Travis Green wanted.

This team needs to get back to scoring goals off the rush and out-chancing opponents. Sullivan might not like it, but it's how HIS teams have won Cups.

We have the very best goaltender in the NHL when games are wide open. Take advantage of that already!

I highly doubt Travis Green was going into the game wanting to get out shot and out chanced all night long.

Vancouver generated very little offense, it just so happened that everything they created ended up in the back of the pens net, it sucks, but that's hockey, that happens sometimes.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Hot in pre-season, started hot, but didn't score in a few games and seemed to lose a bit of confidence, particularly as his line were giving it up for free in their own end. He's played away from Sid quite a bit this year as a consequence, but that's the result and not the cause of poor form.

Sounds like he might be finding his way back - the great thing about an out of form Guentzel is he's still in the right place trying to do the right things, its not like his game goes to pieces - and when he does the points will follow. He'll probably spending a fair bit of time away from Sid this season but I'd still expect him to score a fair few once his form is back.

Ah gotcha gotcha. I've been debating trading him in my fantasy league but I feel like trading him could bite me in the ass quick if/when he heats up.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Now... when people come in here and try to tell me #58 wasn't at fault.

Goal #1 - Yes.. Maatta needs to clear the puck. I agree. So blame to him for not clearing the puck. Letang has a 1 on 1 and he randomly swipes at the puck instead of taking the body or doing anything else.

Goal #2 - All Letang as he failed to clear the puck and stood around while the play developed.

Goal #3 - Dumo is activating and has the right to do so as that is Penguins hockey. Letang is the weak side dman supporting high. Puck gets flipped down the ice past Dumo as he's already half way down the wall in the o-zone. Dumo starts to skate back. Letang, right here, needs to call him off. Call the switch, because that's what a supporting dman does. Buuuuut he doesn't for some reason. Dumo has to chase a puck from behind and that makes no sense. Then in transition 3 on 3 defense, Letang/Sid (Sid's fault) are watching the same guy.

Goal #4 - Faceoff win to Letang. Letang flubs the puck to Dumo behind the net to start the breakout (every NHL team runs this play). Dumo waits for the puck which gives Nucks time to attack. Dumo gets tripped (accidentally) and the puck goes to.... you guessed it - Letang's guy who scores while #58 watches.

Not all blame is on Letang, but he plays a crucial part in each of these goals against. Maatta/Dumo/Sid are at fault in their own way, but it blows my mind how often Letang's mistakes are leading to goals.

Letang was responsible for every goal?

Looked to me like Maatta and Dumo both got danced and a weird bounce went straight to Boeser.

Second in goals against.

So you rarely have one person at fault in any hockey play. Usually breakdowns start before the goal goes in. In these scenarios, I explain how Letang played a part in each goal. Rarely is it 100% on one player unless there is a direct turnover leading to a goal. Or in a situation where a goalie goes to play the puck (Archi's first goal) and hilarity takes over.

Now - I broke down the plays for you. Tell me how he wasn't responsible in full or partially responsible for each GA.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I posted last night right after the game, i feel the same after waking up...we played well, it will come..one good thing that came out of the game, I think he stumbled upon the correct lines, he finally moved Hags with Geno,
keep either Sheary or jake with Sid and Horny, Hags Geno, Rust, tha you have Sheahan flanked by Kessel and Jake or Sheary, it does not get any better considering that Sheahan is your 3rd line center, it could be even better by trying Sprong or someone from A, just to see what we have, that way we could have also a great 4th line.....

Hagelin was great, laughing at people complaining about his production, he does not play on PP so his ES production is as good as anyone else meaning non-existent, however he is playing with the fire lit under his a.., and is playing really really well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ah gotcha gotcha. I've been debating trading him in my fantasy league but I feel like trading him could bite me in the ass quick if/when he heats up.

This could be a rocky season for the Pens in general so he could be a little streaky, but I feel like once he gets going he should be one of our more consistent regular season players.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I haven't been reading through the thread, but for me personally, I have been noticing the same issues plaguing this team for a long time--stretching back to last season. This isn't an overreaction, imo, it's a lengthy observation proving the issues aren't slumps, but legitimate flaws in the way this team is built and the way this team as a unit has been defensively.

ITT: People who want to dump Letang and people worried this is a lottery-pick team. Those are overreactions.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^ Agree. I would say Geno is playing solid, too. Kessel/Geno for sure. Sid/Letang - not so much.

Going to kick open the offday thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad