Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Oilers 0: ROYROYROYROYROYROYROYROY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
The hockey gods have forgiven the Canucks by making things right with Bure. Get his number in the rafters. ALL IS GOOD

This is the Canucks team I cheer for.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
A prospect for Torres??!! Unless you're talking someone toiling in the ECHL the last few years, no way.

Nothing more than someone like Grenier/Sweatt/Sauve(let PHX pick there favourite from all the lower prospects and add that player to the deal and you have Torres in your bottom 6).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Are you factoring in the raises to Higgins, Burrows, and Edler? What about the lowered cap?

I played around with cap geek and Roy at 5.5 would be almost impossible to fit under the cap.

Not impossible but it would mean losing 4 guys

Booth, Ballard, Raymond - all guys not playing atm.
Luongo for Lack

Basically the same team we saw tonight + Kesler

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Not impossible but it would mean losing 4 guys

Booth, Ballard, Raymond - all guys not playing atm.
Luongo for Lack

Basically the same team we saw tonight + Kesler

I'd be okay with that, but you'd really be lacking any depth in case of injuries to your core(starting Goalie, top 6 forwards, top 4 d-men), plus the team would need significant contributions from young players or else the lower lines will be pretty weak.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Can we also not trade for cap space under the new cba did i imagine this?

Trade a 4th, maybe we could get 2 million dollars from the islanders or something for cap space. Unless I am imaging this.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I am crossing my fingers that perhaps Lain could step into 4th line center duties next year. He's a phenomenal skater, not just for a big guy and is good on the dot.

I'm probably fetching but...

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Jensen-Kesler-Kassian
Weise-Lain-Sestito
Schroeder

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Bieksa
New LHD-Tanev
Corrado

Schneider
Lack

Buyout Booth and Ballard (or trade), trade Luongo for futures, let Raymond walk (or trade his rights at the draft, IDK).

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
You cannot trade for cap space.
You can only retain cap hits from contracts in trades. (and only up to 50%)

Ok, so it was never finalized, just edited my posts to include links where it was discussed, must have never made it in.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I swear i am not imagining this, you can safely confirm we cannot do this under the new cba?

When you trade for players you can retain cap, for example maybe Ballard is untradeable at 4.2 mill, but if we take on 1 mill or 1.5 mill maybe we get a useful asset for him.

Pretty sure this is what happen with J Jokinen where he was on waivers earlier this year and nobody took him, but the Pens traded a sixth for him cause the Canes retained some salary

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I am crossing my fingers that perhaps Lain could step into 4th line center duties next year. He's a phenomenal skater, not just for a big guy and is good on the dot.

I'm probably fetching but...

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Jensen-Kesler-Kassian
Weise-Lain-Sestito
Schroeder

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Bieksa
New LHD-Tanev
Corrado

Schneider
Lack

I think the Canucks will want Corrado to spend a full season in the AHL getting top 4 minutes, instead of being a depth d-man getting minimal minutes/being a healthy scratch.

And I know you hate Lapierre, but I think Gillis will try to keep him unless his asking price is too high. Center depth is important, and Lapierre can be an effective 4th liner (yes AV, 4th liner, NOT 3rd liner).

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I swear i am not imagining this, you can safely confirm we cannot do this under the new cba?

This only happens in player transactions, for instance if Calgary trades Tanguay to Vancouver they could retain up to 50 % [IIRC] of his cap hit. They would also have to pay it for the rest of his contract. You can't trade cap space though, it would be sick for us but you just can't.

Edit-LivePlayoffHockey beat me to it. Pretty much what he said.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

you can RETAIN a % of salary and cap (must be both in unison) when trade away a player. The Islanders could trade a player to us and keep a % of the cap but they would not because they would have to keep the matching % in real dollars.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
This only happens in player transactions, for instance if Calgary trades Tanguay to Vancouver they could retain up to 50 % [IIRC] of his cap hit. They would also have to pay it for the rest of his contract. You can't trade cap space though, it would be sick for us but you just can't.

Yea I know that made it in, but as the links in my post mention it was actually discussed you could literally trade for cap space...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad