Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4 Islanders 3 (Hunt Miller Hoglander Podkolzin)

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
Win one , lose one. Win one , lose one. Win one , lose one.

There’s a very good chance we are going to

Miss the playoffs
Get a shitty mid range draft pick.
Not trade players due for a raise and lose them for nothing next year.

would definitely be the case with the prior regime, but we should wait and see what this one has in store …

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Fortunate to get a result tonight against a team in their first game back after a five game road-swing where they crisscrossed the Continent.

But hard to get used to seeing a Barry Trotz coached team that's this loose in its own zone.....but not having to face Barzal was a huge advantage for the Canucks.

Now it's on to TO on HNIC, which is shaping as a potential lopsided game. Leafs coming off an ugly home ice loss 5-1 against the lowly Sabres. And Leafs are still steamed about getting 'Demkoed' in their last trip to Rogers Arena. It could be an all-out blitz by the Leafs.

Reactions: mossey3535

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Fortunate to get a result tonight against a team in their first game back after a five game road-swing where they crisscrossed the Continent.

But hard to get used to seeing a Barry Trotz coached team that's this loose in its own zone.....but not having to face Barzal was a huge advantage for the Canucks.

Now it's on to TO on HNIC, which is shaping as a potential lopsided game. Leafs coming off an ugly home ice loss 5-1 against the lowly Sabres. And Leafs are still steamed about getting 'Demkoed' in their last trip to Rogers Arena. It could be an all-out blitz by the Leafs.

Much as I would love to beat the Leafs, isn’t there a crazy stat that the home team has won almost every matchup between those two teams for several years? Tall order incoming, but massive game to keep our slim playoff hopes alive.

Reactions: mossey3535

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Or they get Demko'd again on national TV.

Either or.. heh..

17-9 needed for 94...

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I was looking forward to comparing the Islander's best player vs Pettersson, but the Islanders were missing Barzal, their best forward.
Then there was Chara missing. Even at his age he is putting out over 18 min a game.

So the comparison ended. I thought "how would it played out if Vancouver was missing Miller and Myers/OEL or even Schenn?"
I guess the outcome would have been the same except NYI would have won.
It was curious that there was no mention after the game that the Islanders played without their best player, just how the team dug down and beat NYIs'

Still just another game closer to the enactment of "the plan"

Oh ya, it was great to see Hog and Pod score

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Not too bothered by winning or losing.

Just really enjoyed seeing Hoglander and Podzolkin contribute offensively! These guys show moments where they effectively demonstrate high hockey IQ. Hopefully the confidence and experience comes and allows both players to become consistent threats offensively.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Win one , lose one. Win one , lose one. Win one , lose one.

There’s a very good chance we are going to

Miss the playoffs
Get a shitty mid range draft pick.
Not trade players due for a raise and lose them for nothing next year.
The GM's name is ALLVIN with and capitol A
Not Benning with a small iq

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Boeser is the most hot and cold player

2 or 3 games ago he is skating the puck out through the neutral zone and is having zone entries at will setting up long offensive zone time shifts.

then you have this game where he isn’t skating and is making things 10x more complicated than they need to be with turnovers.

Reactions: B-rock

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The GM's name is ALLVIN with and capitol A
Not Benning with a small iq

ok so i admittedly know next to nothing about the swedish language other than hockey names and late-2000s balearic revival dream pop, but i feel like i've never seen a swedish name with a V in it before, other than johan garpenlov, which looks super russian to me but what do i know?

otoh, you were supposed to pronounce nic wallin, juha widing, and weinhandl's last names with a V sound (i'm guessing wennberg too, just nobody does it right)

so... shouldn't we be writing his name ALL WIN?

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
ok so i admittedly know next to nothing about the swedish language other than hockey names and late-2000s balearic revival dream pop, but i feel like i've never seen a swedish name with a V in it before, other than johan garpenlov, which looks super russian to me but what do i know?

otoh, you were supposed to pronounce nic wallin, juha widing, and weinhandl's last names with a V sound (i'm guessing wennberg too, just nobody does it right)

so... shouldn't we be writing his name ALL WIN?

that's surprising since -qvist is a common ending among Swedish players

Lundqvist, Hornqvist, Boqvist, etc.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I was looking forward to comparing the Islander's best player vs Pettersson, but the Islanders were missing Barzal, their best forward.
Then there was Chara missing. Even at his age he is putting out over 18 min a game.

So the comparison ended. I thought "how would it played out if Vancouver was missing Miller and Myers/OEL or even Schenn?"
I guess the outcome would have been the same except NYI would have won.
It was curious that there was no mention after the game that the Islanders played without their best player, just how the team dug down and beat NYIs'

Still just another game closer to the enactment of "the plan"

Oh ya, it was great to see Hog and Pod score
Barzal has struggled as much as EP this season (has 1 less point than EP)..I don't think its a given they would have won if he played.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Judging by his scoring rate this season, he'd likely have an extra 6-7 points...Not what I'd call 'huge'..This has not been a good season for Barzal.

Hes on pace for around his career average of 70points/82 games. Hes on pace for 68 points/82 games.

His struggles have been overblown, that team is terrible offensively.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Interesting how unpleasant I find it still seeing Jason King in the room. Ha ha.

Here to post about that amazing pass reception by Garland. Blind, on his backhand skating away from Hoglander. Just outstanding spatial awareness on his part, followed up with a great pass to Hoglander on the doorstep. Kudo's to Hoglander as well, as the pass was a little in his skates so Garland could get it to him around the defender. Huge skill there to catch it and followed with a quick release. I'd really like to see both these players on the club next season.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Interesting how unpleasant I find it still seeing Jason King in the room. Ha ha.

Here to post about that amazing pass reception by Garland. Blind, on his backhand skating away from Hoglander. Just outstanding spatial awareness on his part, followed up with a great pass to Hoglander on the doorstep. Kudo's to Hoglander as well, as the pass was a little in his skates so Garland could get it to him around the defender. Huge skill there to catch it and followed with a quick release. I'd really like to see both these players on the club next season.

Garland is so good man. I like Hoglander's skill set as well, gotta hold him for now

Reactions: quat

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

i thought the same when i saw the highlight, that was an awkward angle to catch the pass and getting that shot off is harder than it looks

Reactions: quat

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Gotta give Podz credit, he has earned back a lot of his icetime under Boudreau. I thought the treatment was unnecessarily harsh (and still is with Hogs), but he's adapted. Love seeing him get rewarded for that effort!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad