Who takes this one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
About what you can expect out of the Canucks 2018-2019. Just not good enough. And injuries haven't really hit yet:eek:

Good

Tanev - best player for the Canucks. Time after time broke up plays and got the puck going the other way. Where would defense be without him????

Baertschi - first goal got him going. Before the goal looked like another lack luster effort but after it turned into a offensive force. Best game in a long time and actually showed some good speed

Goldobin - playing two ways and creating chances. Most improved player so far. Needs to shoot a little more and not always look for the extra pass. Unlike most forwards has talent

Pettersson - real smart plays and showing character in how he competes throughout. Others need to make better use of the situations he is creating. Often put in a difficult position by passing of other Canucks. Lots of "please get me out of trouble" passing by teammates

Bad

Markstrom - that is not NHL level goal tending. Huge rebounds all game. Was aggressive the first game and attacking the puck. Now looks reactive and back on his heels. First goal was dreadful.

Granlund - no kiddin this player blows. Slow, weak and continuously passing into other people's feet. Flagging at the puck with his stick much of the time. Should not be in the League and gets way too much game time

Leipcis - can't win with this type of player. Difficulty again when forced into tight spaces. Gets boxed in and ends up being forced off the puck or into making poor passes. Can dart about but much of this is too individualistic and leads to nothing.

Ugly

Boeser - a slug out there. Making desperation plays leading to turnovers b/c he can't move quick enough. Play died on his stick all game. Pace is way too fast for him. Has looked the same since the start of camp and difficult right now seeing him returning to form. If there is something fundamentally wrong with him, the rebuild set back at least a year or more

Others

Hutton - got wrong sided on the defense a couple of times and ended up chasing his check around the goal. Always has trouble keeping the play in front of him. Other than that, no glaring errors but play wasn't screaming out for more game time.

Pouliot - better. Gave it everything he had and was decently effective. (at least for Pouliot)

Horvat - coverage in his end not good enough. However, some of that due to poor play by line mates like Boeser

Virtanen - always has you wondering if he will make the right play. Never know what you are going to get.

Stecher - had good stretches of play but never able to sustain much over long periods of play. Needs to play with a upper level defenseman but that's not available here

Schaller - low skill player. Dime a dozen forechecker. Had some ok shifts where him and Beagle kept the puck in the other end but little chance this was going to lead to scoring production.

Edler - overall pretty good but never good enough to take command of game. Even when on his game is shy of being a real top end defenseman and often prone to critical mistakes.

Hard to imagine anything other than a series of losses ahead.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Something is definitely up with Boeser. I’m getting a 1996-1997 Bure vibe from him and that ain’t a good thing (it was later revealed that year that Bure was still suffering from massive symptoms of whiplash).

Nothing is up. He scored a ton of goals in a short span last year then was basically this player. He scored 8 goals in his last 27 games last year. Kids nowhere near what people thought. I told everyone he was a flash in the pan and people didn’t believe me. I’ll wait for the same people to tell me I’m right.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The D looks horrible. Hutton chases way too much, he tends to open up ice for opposing players and the puck usually ends up in the back of our net. The D need to play positionaly sound hockey and need to start making smart, short, quick passes instead of skating around like idiots. The forwards also need to do a better support job.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Nothing is up. He scored a ton of goals in a short span last year then was basically this player. He scored 8 goals in his last 27 games last year. Kids nowhere near what people thought. I told everyone he was a flash in the pan and people didn’t believe me. I’ll wait for the same people to tell me I’m right.

Are you still a big fan of his because you don't sound like it.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver

Your opinions are like fine fecal matter, still shit after all these years.

Reactions: EP40 and ziploc

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Boeser's passing and IQ/vision are still there but the skating and the hands have been severely lacking. I'm thinking/hoping he just needs rest.

member 290103

Pretty good. 7.5/10 on the old troll scale. Saw yer Flames played well tonight. U happy with the Peters hire?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
When the Canucks decided to bring back the same d-men and goaltenders, they were basically writing off the year. You won't recognize this lineup in March when Quinn Hughes leads the parade of younger players into the lineup.
I tend to be overly optimistic about everything but this is just cold fact. We were built to suck this year. I feel like every day I am buying deeper and deeper into the conspiracy that Benning deliberately signed a bunch of veteran/character players that sucked at hockey so that a) we could draft near the top and b) they could help integrate the kids into the professional realm.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Keep Eriksson with EP40 & Goldobin. Why break up a good thing just to get Boeser going? Prefer Baer-Bo-Boes line with Leipsic on the 3rd line. Canucks played better last game than this game. Hutton sucks, schaller was okay nothing special.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Oh god i just got this
33333333333333333333.png

l4adg5

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I tend to be overly optimistic about everything but this is just cold fact. We were built to suck this year. I feel like every day I am buying deeper and deeper into the conspiracy that Benning deliberately signed a bunch of veteran/character players that sucked at hockey so that a) we could draft near the top and b) they could help integrate the kids into the professional realm.

He signed what he could attract, we aren't a destination for UFA's anymore so he overpaid some role players at a time that he knew we would suck anyway. By the time the Canucks are contenders, they will be in their last year or gone. Who's Beagle holding back at the moment? Gagner? Gaunce? We just don't have enough above-replacement-level depth in our system aside from a few bright spots that are committed elsewhere such as QH. Beagle is here to hold the fort on bad nights so we don't get blown out.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008

I don't think it was a tank job, but we signed veterans to steady the ship (mentally more than anything). It's similar to what Florida did a number of years ago. They signed Kopecky, Goc, Fleischmann, Upshall, Bergenheim, and Jovanovski in 2011 to support Brian Campbell and Stephen Weiss and insulate (then-prospects) Gudbranson, Kulikov, Matthias, and eventually hand off to Huberdeau, Trochek and future prospects. That team surprisingly made the playoffs. A lot of those players were signed to 4 year deals though, and they were eventually proven to be too long of deals.

To actively hope to lose games isn't productive to anything. If we've conceded that this year is a developmental year, then it would make sense to supplement talent with players who can teach the young roster a thing or two about being pros, nuances of the game, and eat unsavoury minutes. I have no problem with this.

On topic, I am sort of lowkey happy when I see the Canucks lose, but we've scored 3 or more goals.

Ideally we'd see a Jack Hughes Hat Trick: EP goal, BB goal, Canucks loss.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`ll watch Nucks in a bit and it`s good news that our prospects are doing fine.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Overall, Boeser just seems off. His skating and positioning aren't great.

Makes me wonder if that's why Edler was hellbent on not giving Boeser the puck on the PP, despite him being wide open.

Don't want him forcing a one timer that'll (further) tweak a back or wrist injury.

Either way, it's weird to say, but definitely keep him away from EP for now.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
There’s two things right now that are either going on with boeser.

1) He’s still injured and not 100%. Wouldn’t be surprised that we’re rushing him to sell tickets, but now that EP is the main focus, we should rest him.

2) He’s out of shape. His injury didn’t allow him to get a full summers workout and we are seeing the effects.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
There’s two things right now that are either going on with boeser.

1) He’s still injured and not 100%. Wouldn’t be surprised that we’re rushing him to sell tickets, but now that EP is the main focus, we should rest him.

2) He’s out of shape. His injury didn’t allow him to get a full summers workout and we are seeing the effects.

The calculation probably is that a hobbled Boeser is still better than whoever they can replace him with. If his injury can't be worsened by playing, then he ought to play through it. If it can be aggravated, then the question is why is he out there?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad