• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
They have Finnish Pettersson.

i

They have a shiny second-overall draft pick.

They're under new ownership.

ReadyGoodAmethystsunbird-poster.jpg

And in case you weren't sick of seeing Calgary Flames players, they now have those, too.

i
i

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
We're onto the third of seven different locations the Canucks play in to start the season

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Hands on approach of the owner combined with ex-Atlanta GM and rookie head coach? Ouch. This game though, I expect high scoring combined with 25-30 shots on goal for both. Carolina loses in OT because that's hockey baby!

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Carolina defense is really bad, but so is Canucks. So the best goaltending and offesnse will more likely win this game. :)

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, etc.

Carolina’s defense is bad?
Been hearing year after year that Carolina is ready to make that leap. Mainly because their young d-core is supposedly amazing. They looked awful last year and they’re not off to a great start this year.

Sure, some (okay, a lot) of that is goaltending, but eventually that defense needs to show us something before people keep touting it as “good”.

The fact that they felt the need to deal Hanafin is enough to raise some eyebrows to what they think of their d-core.

I love me some Carolina offence, but I’m not sold on their back end... yet.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
They have Finnish Pettersson.

i

They have a shiny second-overall draft pick.

They're under new ownership.

ReadyGoodAmethystsunbird-poster.jpg

And in case you weren't sick of seeing Calgary Flames players, they now have those, too.

i
i

Finnish Pettersson looks like a more feminine version of Jonathan Toews in my opinion.

It’s putting me in a weird spot. Since Finnish Pettersson and William Nylander look quite feminine, I’m having certain types of feelings for them that I really shouldn’t be having. I think I need another beer. Don’t know what’s going on here.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Been hearing year after year that Carolina is ready to make that leap. Mainly because their young d-core is supposedly amazing. They looked awful last year and they’re not off to a great start this year.

Sure, some (okay, a lot) of that is goaltending, but eventually that defense needs to show us something before people keep touting it as “good”.

The fact that they felt the need to deal Hanafin is enough to raise some eyebrows to what they think of their d-core.

Fair enough.

Svechnikov is going to be bloody awesome.

It’s funny. Many people point to Buffalo and ask that the Canucks do what Buffalo did last year, but I wouldn’t mind experiencing Carolina’s fate from last year, in that, we push hard for the playoffs, do much better than expert predictions, narrowly miss the playoffs, gain confidence as a team, and then have great luck in the lottery.

I realize that it’s not statistically likely, but I would take Carolina’s season last year over Buffalo’s any day of the week.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, etc.

Carolina’s defense is bad?

Yes they have tried to move Faulk for some years now, and Slavin & Pesce is meh, Hamilton is good though. A lot of puck watching in the sunday game vs Rangers, and 5 GA - not great defensive display at all.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yes they have tried to move Faulk for some years now, and Slavin & Pesce is meh, Hamilton is good though. A lot of puck watching in the sunday game vs Rangers, and 5 GA - not great defensive display at all.

Slavin is better than Hamilton. Hamilton has a better shot, but that's about it. Pesce is also better defensively than Hamilton.

Yeah, the Rangers game was like pond hockey on both sides. Exciting to watch as it was really back and forth, but not a lot of structure. The two prior games the Canes only gave up 1 regulation goal in each game so I suspect the 8-5 type games will be more of the exception than the rule, although as a fan, the 8-5 games are much more exciting and I'd rather see that. Our forward group, on paper, is one of the weakest in the league and has 5 rookies (Svech, Necas, Wallmark, Foegele, Zykov) so if they can score goals and play competitive hockey, I'll be happy. With so many rookies and 1/2 the roster turned over from last year's opening night line-up and a new coach, I suspect the Canes will have more ups and downs, particularly early in the season.

Really looking forward to seeing Pettersson live. I'll be shocked if he doesn't run away with ROTY honors this year based on what I've seen so far. Not just skilled, but incredibly polished at such a young age. You guys struck gold there.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
@Boom Boom Apathy as I was saying in the Pettersson discussion thread:

Cheers.

Yeah, I think guys like Aho, and Pettersson from what I've seen in limited viewings, are guys that make anyone they play with look better. I'm hoping that eventually, Svechnikov ends up on Aho's line because I think that would be a good match also. Svech's passing is much better than I expected and Aho would set him up for so many goals I think. He still looks like an 18 year old though so IMO, he (Svechnikov) is not ready for that. He's not nearly as polished as Pettersson.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

What makes you think their Defense was bad?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
What makes you think their Defense was bad?

Last year, before the season started, there were many touting it as one of the top defenses. Then a couple of guys in particular (Hanifin and Faulk most notably) really struggled defensively. The team as a whole didn't give up many shots, but Bill Peters played a system that limited shots, but was susceptible to odd man rushes. He had the defensemen playing very tight gaps in the neutral zone and pinching aggressively in the O-zone. While this helped with possession, it also meant when a mistake was made, it ended up in a good scoring chance. The goalies weren't great (particularly Darling), but IMO, they gave up too many high scoring chances. I can see why people would question how good the defense was based on that. It's fair. Even with that, Slavin and to a lesser degree Pesce, were very good.

That was a different D than this year though. This year, they replaced Hanifin with Hamilton, added de Hann to the top 4, and Faulk (so far) looks much better than last year. Throughout pre-season (doesn't mean much) and the first couple of games, they looked pretty good defensively, but the last game was a free for all pond hockey so if someone just watched that game, they'd easily draw a conclusion that may or may not be valid due to small sample size.

They are very young and have a lot of new players and a new coach, so I suspect we'll see some inconsistency from them early on. They have 3 guys at center, which is important to team defense, that are just learning the ropes of playing center in the NHL (Aho, Necas, Wallmark) so that will play into it as well.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes you`ve some good points @Boom Boom Apathy and I understand your reasoning. And you know the CAR team much better than me since I only watch Carolina a few times in a season when Nucks & Rangers meet them so it`s a small sample sizes based opinion. But it`s also a definition is the Carolina defense good enough to be a cup contender and win over Tampa for instant in a playoffs scenario in the 2018-19 season?

I really don`t know at the moment, but all 3 teams Tampa, Pens, and Caps who won it last year have very good offense. But maybe the defense is good enough to reach playoffs. Is the defense good vs Nucks? We will see soon - nonetheless it will be a game I am looking forward to see. Let`s go! :)

Last edited:

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Finnish Pettersson looks like a more feminine version of Jonathan Toews in my opinion.

It’s putting me in a weird spot. Since Finnish Pettersson and William Nylander look quite feminine, I’m having certain types of feelings for them that I really shouldn’t be having. I think I need another beer. Don’t know what’s going on here.

Please stop

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yes you`ve some good points @Boom Boom Apathy and I understand your reasoning. And you know the CAR team much better than me since I only watch Carolina a few times in a season when Nucks & Rangers meet them so it`s a small sample sizes based opinion. But it`s also a definition is the Carolina defense good enough to be a cup contender and win over Tampa for instant in a playoffs scenario in the 2018-19 season?

I really don`t know at the moment, but all 3 teams Tampa, Pens, and Caps who won it last year have very good offense. But maybe the defense is good enough to reach playoffs. Is the defense good vs Nucks? We will see soon - nonetheless it will be a game I am looking forward to see. Let`s go! :)

That's a fair question and remains to be seen. I personally think the defense can be good enough to compete with any team, but I expect they will have a lot of ups and downs, particularly early in the season for reasons I mentioned above. The two biggest holes on the team are at C and goalie right now and both are big parts of the equation when it comes to team defense. Another 8-6 game won't surprise me, but neither will a 2-1 game. I don't think we'll have a good feel for the Canes D until about 20 games or so.

That said, I don't think the team overall is nearly good enough to compete with the best teams in the league. Just not enough high end talent and too questionable in goal. I don't expect them to make the playoffs but so far, at least they've been exciting to watch.

Reactions: Ori

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad