Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 @ Hurricanes 5 | Sorry, Jyrki21

Who takes this one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not a chance- that would derail his development. This defence leaves the goalie out to dry all the time- I have no problem with Markstrom getting shelled night in and night out. But Demko getting shelled would be terrible for his confidence. When he's healthy let him play in Utica again and hopefully next year serves as the backup with an improved defence- which seriously it shouldn't be that hard to upgrade from this trash.

Next year the defence needs to be entirely different. I'd like to see an influx of the prospects come in next year. Hopefully we can trade Edler for a 1st at the TDL and then re-sign him in the summer. Also if anyone is offering any pick for Hutton (doubtful), MDZ (laughable), Pouliot (pigs will fly) you take it. Open up some roster spots for Juolevi to get a taste of real NHL action and for Hughes to come in after the NCAA season. Tanev we almost need and at the very least we can wait until next years TDL to move him unless a blow away offer presents itself. Ideally next year without JB making dumb trades or spending ANY money on July 1st other than Edler:

Edler-Tryamkin
Tanev-Hughes
Juolevi-Stecher/Gudbrandson (unfortunately he'll still be here)

Yes, you have to have some hope that Hughes, Juolevi and maybe Tryamkin can change the outlook for this awful blueline. And maybe a shrewd pickup in free agency might help as well, although Jimbo's track record in that regard is hardly stellar. Until then, it's going to be ugly most nights on the road, particularly if they don't get any goaltending.

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
My three thoughts:

1 - I am tired of Marky’s slow starts.
2 - Great to see Edler in good shape, the pass for Baert was a beauty.
3 - Please Brock, wake up. I am concerned.

Go Canucks!!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't believe he's still injured / re-injured, but I doubt he's 100% (assuming 100% means in peak form last season). He will have to rebuild strength in his wrist, work on his conditioning, and yeah adapt to his new bulk. I don't know how old you are, but I don't think I was fully in tune with how my body worked until I was 26. I am by no means a professional athlete, but I don't doubt Boeser is adapting as well.

I would suggest demoting Boeser or even sitting him a game, but I'm afraid what the Botchford army will think.

Nothing. Just call it injury related ie resting back/wrist and nobody would think the lesser of it. If he needs a few games off do it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yes, you have to have some hope that Hughes, Juolevi and maybe Tryamkin can change the outlook for this awful blueline. And maybe a shrewd pickup in free agency might help as well, although Jimbo's track record in that regard is hardly stellar. Until then, it's going to be ugly most nights on the road, particularly if they don't get any goaltending.
Based on Jim's UFA signings to date, expect the solution to the defensive problem to be a couple of 3rd pairing Dmen on $4m X 4 year contracts.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What a ****ing brutal game. Many will trash on Travis Green, but we were warned about this after how he coached Utica. His had his favorites and would always lean on them.

What is perhaps most alarming about this game was how the team just sank in the final 8 minutes. No pushback, nothing. They whimpered away and accepted defeat. It almost resembled the Oilers efforts you would see in the late 2000's.

Furthermore, you see the D and some of the forwards getting completely dominated on the boards. Losing every puck battle and being neutralized along the boards. We have the softest top 9 in the league - perhaps also the slowest bottom 6 as well. Just an awkwardly built team.

I'm okay with losing games like how we did in Calgary but tonight just leaves a sour taste in your mouth when you see some of the players mailing it in.

TBF they started mailing it in during the preseason.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think he's flatlined. We need better defensemen. Having him on the third line would really kill his value and would be a waste in contrast to the potential assets you could get back.

No, but it is slightly wasteful.

Would be an ultimate sell high.

Why wouldn't you move him to LW? We still need top 6 forwards and we don't have a single top 6 winger with size and speed. Eriksson and Boeser and slugs, Goldobin is small, and Baertschi has neither.

Reactions: Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Why wouldn't you move him to LW? We still need top 6 forwards and he has two things we lack of the wing, size and speed.
I'm open to the organization trying it. In fact, I'd probably do that myself.

I just think we have dinosaurs in head office who will be glued to the mindset of him being a good canadian kid and canadian kids belong in the center position.

Plus being able to trade him as a center would have more value.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Markstrom cost them the game. The defense is one thing, it's obviously not very good, but not many teams can outscore 3 bad goals or ones you'd think the goalie should stop. Plays were dying on Boeser's stick, even playing with Pettersson and Goldobin couldn't prop him up. Hutton was ok and should stay in the lineup for now. Hopefully Baertschi can keep scoring and healthy so they can use him as a trade chip.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
It’s time they fire that amateur coach called Green. The defense is also run by that amateur coah Nolan Baumgartner...

What have we learned from Willy D?

It’s time to get an experienced coach. I’m sure someone more experience won’t play Derrick Poulliot for 22 minutes... what an idiotic decision.

#FireGreen

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
LMAO!!

You think its the team thats forcing him to play in a meaningless season w. Zero expecatations of success this season ???

Surely it cant be Boeser and his agent that wants him to fight through this and play on a contract year ...

The Canucks would absoloutely love it if Boeser sat... it would decrease his value and save them millions in negotiations come summer time.

Use some common sense
I notice you of course missed the word "if" in the post you quoted.

I'll bet Rodin wanted to fight through his injury and play last preseason, didn't he? Remember him? How'd that work out?

I said it in the Boeser thread, I'll say it again here for your benefit: aggravating an injury that's not fully or properly healed is a great way to get chronic injury issues and can easily be the difference between a player who's a star for years and a flash in the pan who has one good year and then fades into obscurity. Hockey teams employ doctors for exactly this reason.

Boeser healing is a lot more important than the next contract or the results of early games in this (by your own admission) meaningless season. It's about his hockey career after this year and his future well-being and health as a human being. If he and his agent think differently, it's up to the team to employ physicians professional enough to set limits.

Use common sense and human decency before you post. If you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgj98m3

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to agree with most posters. Discussion of the Carolina game starts and ends in goal. Canucks actually played a pretty decent first period road game, but came out of down 1-3. And it was catch-up the rest of the night with predictable results. If that's the kind of goaltending Markstrom is going to give them the rest of the year then they might as well get the golf clubs out now. Because obviously Green has zero confidence in the backup. It's potentially an ugly situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad