Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 @ Avalanche 1 - 6:00PM PST - SPAC (Warning Post #226)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Am I the only one who was hoping Roy would totally lose it over the reviewed goal?

Roy can't let Quennville show him up.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I was so excited to see Sbisa rush up the ice and dish to Bo for that goal. That was seriously fun to watch. Love cheering for an underdog, and he's that for sure.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I hope so but damn that contract will be as bad as people feared if that happens.
His contract has always been 1 year too long and $1m too high, IMO. Also, to add more weight to the theory - Markstrom's contract ends when Millers does.

..also, I could almost see a situation where Miller is re-signed for like $2.5m a year for a year or two to run as Markstrom's backup, so you might not be free of him yet. :) That said, they could just as easily run with Cannata or Bachman or something too for a year or two while Demko hits the AHL. I can definitely see a situation where Demko won't be expected to be able to step in as a NHL backup at the age of 22.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
His contract has always been 1 year too long and $1m too high, IMO. Also, to add more weight to the theory - Markstrom's contract ends when Millers does.

..also, I could almost see a situation where Miller is re-signed for like $2.5m a year for a year or two to run as Markstrom's backup, so you might not be free of him yet. :) That said, they could just as easily run with Cannata or Bachman or something too for a year or two while Demko hits the AHL. I can definitely see a situation where Demko won't be expected to be able to step in as a NHL backup at the age of 22.
Miller as a backup at backup money for a couple of years would be fine.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
16 page GDT... Heh heh..

Reasons for that...

- Canucks won
- Played a solid 60
- Sbisa had a good game
- Vey had a good game
- Bart had a good game
- Dorsett had a good game

You see 16 pages, and you surely would of also assumed Sutter had a good game, Miller had a shutout, and Willie out coached his opponent or Prust was first star.

Anyways.....
Just finished watching... That was great 60 min hockey game.. Finally. Now I wanna see it against a quality opponent.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Lol, Willie says he thought the game changed when "Dorsett made that drive to the net and made some plays".

I'm just laughing right now. I can't believe this guy is for real.

He's not wrong...
It led to the penalty on which on the heels of they scored the tying goal and kept it going...

He knows the pulse of the bench better than anyone watching... So if he thinks that play energized the bench and pumped em up, who are you to say otherwise...

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
16 page GDT... Heh heh..

Reasons for that...

- Canucks won
- Played a solid 60
- Sbisa had a good game
- Vey had a good game
- Bart had a good game
- Dorsett had a good game

You see 16 pages, and you surely would of also assumed Sutter had a good game, Miller had a shutout, and Willie out coached his opponent or Prust was first star.

Anyways.....
Just finished watching... That was great 60 min hockey game.. Finally. Now I wanna see it against a quality opponent.

Solid 60? They were lucky to get out of the 1st period... Avs PP was crap.

And Sbisa and Bartkowski both did several dumb things each outside of the good.

Even if you do consider it a "good game" for them, it doesn't mean they should be in the lineup.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Yup, it is. I personally expect Miller to play 2/3rds of the remaining games this year and it to be Marky's net next year with Miller as the backup. Hopefully he keeps it together enough we can flip him for a pick at the TDL in 2017.
I ask this every time someone floats the idea of trading Miller at next year's deadline, but, seriously, what team is looking to add an overpaid backup goalie at the trade deadline in any year? Like maybe in a perfect world he could be moved this offseason (even though that is unlikely), but why is that a move any team would make at the deadline?

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
I ask this every time someone floats the idea of trading Miller at next year's deadline, but, seriously, what team is looking to add an overpaid backup goalie at the trade deadline in any year? Like maybe in a perfect world he could be moved this offseason (even though that is unlikely), but why is that a move any team would make at the deadline?
We asked the same sort of questions about Miller in the off season and even then there was still a market.

Dinosaurs still roam the earth.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
We asked the same sort of questions about Miller in the off season and even then there was still a market.

Dinosaurs still roam the earth.
One off-hand remark by Jim Benning in a forum where he was defending himself (and probably by lying, let's face it) does not actually mean there was a market for Miller.

But even if there were – why at the deadline? Like, a contending team is acquiring him to be their starter even if he's spent all year as backup with unimpressive numbers? Why would he be a "missing piece"?

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Virtanen is getting a lot of chances, but not burying it. He could have had 2 goals this game. You guys are in for a treat when this kid is in his prime.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Virtanen is getting a lot of chances, but not burying it. He could have had 2 goals this game. You guys are in for a treat when this kid is in his prime.

Excited for the emergence of the homegrown power winger with the cheeky streak

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

My main thing with Virtanen is I think he could be a lot better player if we kept him in Junior. He could have learned a lot more staying down in Junior and dominating that league. Now if I have criticism of him, people take it as I am a hater of him.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
My main thing with Virtanen is I think he could be a lot better player if we kept him in Junior. He could have learned a lot more staying down in Junior and dominating that league. Now if I have criticism of him, people take it as I am a hater of him.

I wouldn't take you as a hater of his for thinking Jr this yr would of made him better... but i would greatly contest the opinion.

I'm not a fan of Jr. hockey at all outside the Mem Cup and WJrs.
Jake would of spent the season playing a Jr. style game that would of done little to prepare him for the NHL style. Like the other top lines, he would of been out there skating around for 1-1.5 minute low intensity shifts..
He would be piling up the points of course playing an offensive role... but i don't see how he would of been able to develop his defensive game appropriately in that environment..

I think we are now seeing the results of his first half development. His conditioning looks good, and his defensive awareness and play is WAY above expectations.

Remember it was at the end of his Jr. season he showed up in Utica at 228. That's pretty indicative of a player not being held accountable for his training/nutrition by both himself and the Jr. organization.

At the end of the day, the Canucks decided to keep him under their control... and based on the style of play and training levels in Jr., his play post-WJr. seems to justify the decision.
i.e. They just might of known exactly what they were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad