Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 @ Avalanche 1 - 6:00PM PST - SPAC (Warning Post #226)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Glass man out yeesh. I don't want to downgrade his injury but all I saw was a deflected pass off a skate to the mouth? Surely that didn't break his jaw or something.

...this literally happened to Dan Hamhuis. This season.

Hopefully both players are OK. Nice to see the Kid Line ride again. Only took our moron coach 50 freaking games to try it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Based on that, would I be right in guessing you expect Miller to be re-signed at a starter's salary by Benning again, then?

Who knows his contracts has long time to run. Do you think Benning signed him to $6m a year for three years expecting him not to be the starter for those years?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Lol, Willie says he thought the game changed when "Dorsett made that drive to the net and made some plays".

I'm just laughing right now. I can't believe this guy is for real.

Seriously? Has the old fart suffered recent blow to the head or something?
:shakehead

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Thought the Avs had good and up and coming team. I guess not. When you are clearly outplayed by the Canucks you got some pretty deep problems. Roy has a mess on his hands ATM.

Can't believe how bad Iginla has become. Remember Linden at the end and Iginla looks much the same. when players are on their last legs they often become pathetically bad. Think he was benched for the third.

In that context you wonder a little how much H. Sedin has got left. Really has not looked good over the second half of the season. Got to know when not to hang on to these players

The Good -lots of H's

Hutton - I think he is our best defenseman. We have no one packing the puck or moving it as well as Hutton. Hutton- Sbisa duo best in this game and does look like an acceptable NHL backline. Certainly they would be main line material on a team like the Avs.

Hamhuis - not as enthused as Garrett but his skating is much improved over earlier in the season. Lot more range in his play and he creating a enough of gap to allow him to make the play unlike earlier when he always seemed to be in traffic.

Horvat - showing the same kind of change in gear he showed at the latter part of last year. Has a very good understanding of when to jump into the rush and when to hold back. Really ripped that goal in tonight

Virtanen - one thing he does well is to cut back across the middle on the backcheck. So fast that the other team can't anticipate him cutting into the passing lane. He is creating a lot of turnovers in the mid ice area. Gets from the blue line to the net in warp speed but needs to finish better.

Markstrom - Covers up so much net. Still needs to work on the glove short side but he was critical in the win. Don't think Miller has been bad but Markstrom seems more on top of his game

Etem - thought the line with Burrows and Vey was good once again. Vey had few bad turnovers but the line tied up the Avs in their end. Etem has been a good pick up

Other Points

Loss of Edler and, to an extent, Sutter could be important tank factors if they are out long term. You also wonder if this might effect the trade of Hamhuis. Could see Fedun getting recalled.

Think some of the moms, especially Bartkowski's, were getting into the sauce. Certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves. Nice touv ch by the team here.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Seriously? Has the old fart suffered recent blow to the head or something?
:shakehead

It was so forced too. The media was trying to talk about someone else (I forget, I'd have to listen to the clip again) and he was like "Yeah and I thought the game changed when Dorsett....".

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It was so forced too. The media was trying to talk about someone else (I forget, I'd have to listen to the clip again) and he was like "Yeah and I thought the game changed when Dorsett....".

And here I thought the bromance between AV and Rome was bad.

Compare with that WD+Dorsett is practically Rome-old and Juli-eh

(Sorry I stole that last one from Simpsons)

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Who knows his contracts has long time to run. Do you think Benning signed him to $6m a year for three years expecting him not to be the starter for those years?
His contract has one more year after this one. That's what passes for a "long time" now? :laugh: The only way it could be shorter is if it ended this year.

As for why he signed him -- from what I've read it's part of their goalie succession plan. It was initially aimed at slowly easing Lack into a starter role and Marky showed more promise so Lack was moved. Benning rightly or wrongly sees benefit in a senior goalie helping to ease in the new guy to eventually take over. Based on that, and I'm extrapolating here - a succession plan is predicated on transitioning the "new guy" to a starter role. With Miller's contract ending the end of next year, Marky kind of has to take the reigns next year with Miller as a backup.

So yeah, my call is Miller is the backup next year (30 or so starts) and Markstrom runs the show. What's your call?

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Oh was it? I kinda got mixed up.

Yeah i think so there was a few of them vrbata took a stick to the face too

OVerall disappointingly good game esp from Sbisa who keeps getting better and really set up the insurance goal. Bo is Bo and Sedins too really should of got one goal esp that 2-1 in the third

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Sbisa GOAT!

Seriously, nice for him, I feel he'll have a long career as a solid bottom pairing guy.

Just ignore that he makes more money a year than Obama during a whole 4-year period ;)

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Sbisa GOAT!

Seriously, nice for him, I feel he'll have a long career as a solid bottom pairing guy.

Just ignore that he makes more money a year than Obama during a whole 4-year period ;)

Maybe if he could rush like this once a game...or multiple times a game...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
His contract has one more year after this one. That's what passes for a "long time" now? :laugh: The only way it could be shorter is if it ended this year.

In the current context absolutely. Markstrom should be a outright starter atm until proven he can't handle it, instead of the other way around. Miller lasting 1 uear and a couple of months as undisputed starter would be pretty embarrassing.

As for why he signed him -- from what I've read it's part of their goalie succession plan. It was initially aimed at slowly easing Lack into a starter role and Marky showed more promise so Lack was moved. Benning rightly or wrongly sees benefit in a senior goalie being helping to ease in the new guy to eventually take over. Based on that, and I'm extrapolating here - a succession plan is predicated on transitioning the "new guy" to a starter role. With Miller's contract ending the end of next year, Marky kind of has to take the reigns next year with Miller as a backup.

So yeah, my call is Miller is the backup next year (30 or so starts) and Markstrom runs the show. What's your call?

I hope so but damn that contract will be as bad as people feared if that happens.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Whoever #3 on the avs is.. stupid

He gave sbisa the middle of the ice and set up the 2 on 1

Mind boggling defensw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad