Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 - LA 1 (SO) Part 3 -- "We knew we could beat them." - Henrik

Booshami

Apr 19, 2012
Vancouver
Why doesn't Willie put Matthias with the Horvat line in the end of games? He's better than Dorsett defensively and offensively.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Why doesn't Willie put Matthias with the Horvat line in the end of games? He's better than Dorsett defensively and offensively.

I was thinking it was just his speed..

I think his speed really works for him those late game situations - get to loose pucks/pressure players into forcing decisions a split sec faster than they would otherwise..

arsmaster*

The comment was tongue in cheek based on all of our slow start talk over the last 30+ gms...

but on the goal as i said above, I didn't appreciate the complete lack of any reaction on the goal.

I'm not sure what you want him to do, tie up King's stick and block the net?

It's a classic easy goal, something the opposition is getting too easily out of this group at the start of games.

That goal isn't on Eddie for a second.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Well thank you :)

I think the Horvat line can spend their shifts in the opponent's end and that's the best form of defense. I also think that posters here have exaggerated Kenins' defensive issues. My main problem with the move is that is foreshadows that when we get healthy, Dorsett will bump off Kenins on that line and the line as a whole will be less effective because of it.

Another no content post complaining about any criticism. Wonderful

It was the biggest game of the year, if your biggest problem is what it foreshadows for the future then I'm not sure what to tell you. All that mattered was getting results last night.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The difference between poker and hockey is that hockey results are not necessarily just based on raw percentages. Tell San Jose that their odds of beating LA last year when they were up 3 to 0 were about 99% based on the fact that only four(?) teams in history had come back from 3-0 deficits.

For us to not make the playoffs:

1) we have to lose both our games
2) Calgary has to win both of their non-LA games
3) LA has to win both of their non-Calgary games
4) the Calgary-LA game has to be a 3-point game
5) Winnipeg has to win both their remaining non-Calgary games

Every single remaining game for 4 separate teams have to go exactly the right way (when not joined by momentum, as you see in a playoff series) plus one specific one has to be a tie at the end of regulation.

If we don't make the playoffs, it'll be akin to getting struck by lightning on a sunny day. We're in, and there's not really any point being nervous about it.

arsmaster*

I was thinking it was just his speed..

I think his speed really works for him those late game situations - get to loose pucks/pressure players into forcing decisions a split sec faster than they would otherwise..

Is Dorsett faster than Matthias?

He certainly isn't noticeably faster than Kenins or Matthias, in fact, Kenins seemingly has the closing speed that when he attempts hits, he hits the player, old DD is running around 100 miles and hour, if he gets ya he gets ya, more often, he hammers the boards and the player skates away.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I think you're right and wrong at the same time. I do think the line is more dangerous and better with Kenins - BUT and this is a big but, more likely to be scored on with Kenins than Dorsett.

Coach made the decision that it was more important to not lose than it was to win. And given LA's record in shootouts, I'd say he absolutely made the right choice.

People love to hate on Dorsett, but there are times when he is the right guy to have on the ice imo, even though Kenins is a better player.

is that true though? with dorsett out there, we're more likely to be outshot

arsmaster*

Is there anywhere to track Corsi over periods, win tha game was slacking last night, so he wasn't posting stats after periods, or at least I couldn't find them today (and I've looked).

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
For us to not make the playoffs:

1) we have to lose both our games
2) Calgary has to win both of their non-LA games
3) LA has to win both of their non-Calgary games
4) the Calgary-LA game has to be a 3-point game
5) Winnipeg has to win both their remaining non-Calgary games

Every single remaining game for 4 separate teams have to go exactly the right way (when not joined by momentum, as you see in a playoff series) plus one specific one has to be a tie at the end of regulation.

If we don't make the playoffs, it'll be akin to getting struck by lightning on a sunny day. We're in, and there's not really any point being nervous about it.

I'm not particularly nervous and think we will get in. But people were talking about 97% probability earlier and had we lost last night's game to LA you can throw that probability out the window.
If we can't get a point in one of our last two games then we can't really complain anyways.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm not sure what you want him to do, tie up King's stick and block the net?

It's a classic easy goal, something the opposition is getting too easily out of this group at the start of games.

That goal isn't on Eddie for a second.

Maybe you're right. But i didn't think so when i saw it.
Didn't think he reacted at all.. like it surprised him that it was passed in front.

Edit.. yeah just looked at again.. i don't know... it was a bang bang play but Lack didn't have any reaction or anticipation that a pass was going to be made there.

I can't completely absolve him there..

25 second mark:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not particularly nervous and think we will get in. But people were talking about 97% probability earlier and had we lost last night's game to LA you can throw that probability out the window.
If we can't get a point in one of our last two games then we can't really complain anyways.

I'm not sure how the previous numbers were calculated.

But at this point, all 9 separate results have to go exactly right for us to be squeezed out - including one game which has to be a tie. It's exceptionally unlikely.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Vey and Dorsett will be here next year! :/

I like Dorsett.

I like Mr. Dorsett too in a 10-minute-a-night role with minimal meaningless fights

I like Dorsett too but our coach is too stupid and stubborn so he is being mis-used and it hurts our team.

Really, really hoping Dorsett just goes back to Columbus. It is absolutely nothing against him but simply better for the team. In fact, we should ban any junior player who has played under WD.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm not sure how the previous numbers were calculated.

But at this point, all 9 separate results have to go exactly right for us to be squeezed out - including one game which has to be a tie. It's exceptionally unlikely.

Thanks for clarifying that.
I'll finally take a breath and relax! Last night took a lot out of me. :)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Is Dorsett faster than Matthias?

He certainly isn't noticeably faster than Kenins or Matthias, in fact, Kenins seemingly has the closing speed that when he attempts hits, he hits the player, old DD is running around 100 miles and hour, if he gets ya he gets ya, more often, he hammers the boards and the player skates away.

Feisty today eh..

Dorsett looks like he has better acceleration than Matthias... or maybe its just an illusion due to having short legs. Matthias definitely better top end speed.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Thanks for clarifying that.
I'll finally take a breath and relax! Last night took a lot out of me. :)

All I could do after Daniel's tying goal was breathe a big sigh of relief. It's that time of year. not even taking into consideration the normal academic stress which comes with April - thankfully, this is the last time I have to deal with it

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Dorsett is the right choice late in the game:

1.) The opposition is pressing and likely to spend most of the time in the Canucks zone, pressing the attack to try and score the equalizer,

and

2.) Dorsett plays a higher percentage of hockey in his own end than any other forward on the team. He has the experience being pinned in his own end that's required late in the game!

Duh.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Dorsett can also fight which is useful late in the game when you're trying to protect a one goal lead.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
93.3 % of teams up 2-0 in the Stanley Cup Finals go on to win.

LOL...figures the 'Nuckleheads would be one of the teams in the 6.7% category....no wonder fans are still paranoid about a playoff berth:laugh:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The Canuck team that played last night can make noise in the playoffs. We really did control the play last night, having way more chances. Really, how many high quality chances did the Kings have?

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
The Canuck team that played last night can make noise in the playoffs. We really did control the play last night, having way more chances. Really, how many high quality chances did the Kings have?

The Kings have played more hockey than any other team the last 3 years... As good as last night was, the Kings looked tired and the Canucks took advantage of it.

yoss

May 25, 2011
That game was good vs. evil far as I'm concerned, nice to see our twin Jedi masters pull some magic out of the hat. Part of me wonders whether that pass by Hank wasn't a little Vrbata inspired, Vrby's had a few of those fake out behind the net, behind the back passes this year. Just an incredible pass and finish.

Twins had the Kings reeling and dizzy. Always a thing of beauty to behold when they get that sedinery puck movement on the cycle really dialed in.

Good day to kick back after a hard fought victory and watch how some other games with big implications play out.

Lack has played well against the top teams recently. Love to see different guys play hero at dif. times too, Sedins were due and they delivered in the biggest game of the year.

Phred Phlinstone

Feb 12, 2015
White Rock, BC
Now if he can figure the game's start times, we'll be laughing..

Though you're probably joking, Eddie's start is probably the least of WD's concerns. Willie's probably shaking his head and wondering what it's going to take for the rest of the team to show up for the first 3-5 minutes of each game.

The lousy starts are on the veteran core...they are too relaxed to start the game and it trickles down onto everyone else.

Just my observation, but it takes at least two to three shift rotations to get rid of the Sedin-itis. By then, it's 1-0 for the bad guys. IMO, Willie should be starting the Horvat line...Horvat gives the team the best shot at winning the draw. Dump it in and have Kenins and Hansen forecheck hard and lay a hit or two. As simple as that may sound, I think this will help set the tone.

God knows, we've seen enough of Henrik losing the opening draw and having this line chase the puck with it inevitably ending up in the Canucks' zone to start each game (though this isn't exactly what happened last night on the opening shift).

That's my only complaint the day after the big win. Take away the lousy start, and the Canucks played a text book playoff game last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad