Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 (Bonino, Edler) - Oilers 1 || Who is this guy wearing number 23?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Yeah I think this game showed Shinkaruk needs a year in the AHL. He disappeared tonight and didn't seem able to physically play up the level of tonight's game.

Jensen is an enigma. He'll do one or two brilliant things a game and a half dozen dumb things. Plus he's the least physical power forward in my recent memory.

That Bonino goal was hilarious tonight. It was like the Canucks were playing the Washington Generals.

Zelecki

Feb 2, 2008
I actually think Jensen will be a bust. Too one dimensional, and like Balls Mahoney says, he'll do one brilliant thing and do 10 dumb things after. It's always been one step forwards and two steps back for him.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Jensen looks pretty comfortable to me. He's not gonna be an all-star, but he's actually active defensively and has good offensive tools. I'd think he starts in the AHL this year and gets called up half way through the season and sticks. If he ends up being a stronger version of Raymond I'll be happy.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
wait, what? jensen started on the same line as shinkaruk, but ended up getting over four minutes more time on ice than him. throughout the game he was strong on the puck and made some fantastic passing plays, including the primary assist on edler's goal. he was more noticable on the ice tonight - in a good way - than even chris higgins, and he cetainly outplayed linden vey. how does that translate to "down to the minors!"?

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Brutal first where Lack was great.... again. And again the wisdom of the Miller signing looks like an issue. Nice to see some of the mid and lower level guys come to life in the second and do a decent defensive and fore-checking job the rest of the way. However, for all the Oiler boosting between periods, the Edmonton team playing tonight really is not the measuring stick for judging the Canucks.

On the announcing - It was kind of ridiculous to say the Oilers are going to be more physically difficult to play against this year. The players providing the edge - Westgaard and Pinnizzoto - can't play and will get murdered if used much at all. (tonight they couldn't get the puck out of their zone) Might say the same for Sestito but he is a step up from these players. Really if you're going to say you have physically tough team you need to have physical players that can actually play.

The Good

Lack - obvious first star and the difference in the game. His movement and net coverage was superb. Stick handling might have been better but overall a very strong effort.

Dorsett - rounding into form. Gets around the ice very well and was very good on the cycle. Looks comparable to Hansen. Plays a very honest game.

Edler - Still not a the level he was a couple of years ago but making positives strides. Keeping the play much more in front of himself than he has in the last while.

Burrows - good on the pk and creating chances. Played with speed and smartness in this game. I wonder if they might try him at center.

Bonino - first time I have noticed him much in the pre-season. Seemed invisible in past games but was more involved here. Worked well with Burrows and seemed to be getting himself open for chances. Can see he likes to make the quick pass as soon as he gets the puck. Gets the right combination of linemates and this could be effective.

Tanev - had quietly effective game alongside Edler.

Not So Good

Bieksa and Hamhuis better play better than this when the season starts

Sbisa turning over the puck a lot again. Seems to want to hang on to the puck too long.

Vey - worse game of the pre-season. Unlike in the first few games looked weak on the puck. Probably needs to be at center but that creates defensive match up problems. Lack of strength was evident in this game.

Bad

Shinkaruk - mishandled the puck frequently and pushed off it too easily. Put the puck back into his own zone a couple of times which created great chances for the Oilers. Seemed out of the position much of the game

O'Reilly - reminded me of Ebbett. Too slow, too weak, too whatever. You wonder why he has been on the roster so long. Jeffrey seems a better player.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Bonino: First game this preseason that i've really felt he hit his stride (i mean that symbolically, his actual skating stride is very ugly). Looks like he's starting to get a bit more comfortable and integrating his game into what Willie wants out of the team. Seemed to find a bit of chemistry with some guys.

Higgins: Thought he had a really good game too. His usual hustling self, did a nice job leaning on some guys, makes smart decisions with the puck. Think he's probably the best fit we have with Bonino, they seem to play a similar game offensively.

Burrows: Also some flashes tonight showing that he may not be completely washed up. Seems like he's starting to find a few more flashes of chemistry with Bonino, which would be great for both guys. The defensive presence was back tonight in force as well. Good signs, headed in the right direction at least.

The Kids:
-Horvat, obviously can't say much other than i hope he's alright.

-Shinkaruk had a few brief moments flashing skill, but largely like last year in camp, looks like he's started to tail off physically. Understandable given his lost season last year, but at this point it's looking like a year of development in Utica, the odd cup o' coffee with the Canucks, and most importantly, another summer to work more on strength+conditioning will do him wonders. Skill and smarts are still clearly there...just getting buried without the same jump he had earlier.

-Jensen looked the most ready tonight. Another game where he oscillated between flashing lots of potential and disappearing though. He looked quite "ready" for the NHL and shows a lot of skill...just frustratingly inconsistent. He's like the most polar opposite of fellow Dane, Yannick Hansen. If Hansen's mentality were to rub off on Jensen...we'd have a heck of a player.

Hansen: As above, pretty much the polar opposite of Jensen. Tonight, was back to the stuff that makes him successful, working hard all night, dogs the puck on the forecheck, carries it through the neutral zone and into the attacking zone with a degree of ease that belies his lack of skill. Ends up generating scoring opportunities pretty consistently...just frustrating because as was on full display tonight, just can't capitalize. Looked to be getting back to the speed game and forechecking+2way play that make him a great 3rd liner.

Vey: Not a great outing for him, but not bad either. At times, he makes it look so easy offensively, finding seams effortlessly. Disappointed we didn't really get that much of a look at him as a winger though with Horvat's injury shuffling things around a bunch. I still see why he hasn't played Wing in a lot of years. Though defensively he was clearly still finding his way tonight...did a better job of limiting and containing some of his bigger mistakes.

Cal O'Reilly: Pretty well demonstrated why a fairly productive player in the AHL hasn't ever stuck in the NHL. A ghost physically out there, unable to generate anything at all as a result, incoherent defensively, with some glaringly poor decisions. At the least, showed a nice contrast with a guy like Vey tonight who is a similarly productive AHLer...yet looks a clear cut above at even this preseason level in terms of potential and ability to translate that to the next level.

Matthias: Started off looking like he was actually fired up and engaged in the game. Showed he can potentially chip in a bit offensively. Was happy to see him drop the gloves too, as strange as that situation was...if he's willing to drop 'em a couple times a year, with his size it makes him a lot more useful a bottom-6 player, even if he's not any good at it. Seemed to taper off as the game went on though.

Sestito: Well...he was basically a reckless lunatic tonight. PIM machine. Not much else. One decent feed offensively i can recall, otherwise plays tended to die with him. A few decent little short area passes on the breakout actually, but also a lot of standing around defensively doing nothing. If you think we need an unhinged lunatic on our team...he did what he needed to do to prove himself. If you think we need hockey players, he didn't do a whole lot to help himself.

Dorsett: Saved the best for last. Maybe not the "best" player, but probably the best tonight in filling their role. Looked fast, tenacious, gritty. Forechecked hard, engaged physically, went to the net, hustled both ways all night long, dropped the gloves. Did all the things you'd want to see out of a 4th liner, and in contrast with the above Sestito...seemed to have a much better feel for when to stoke the fires, and when to let things simmer out.

The Defence:

Edler: :rolly::rolly::rolly: That's the Edler we need to see this year. If he can play like that more nights than not, it will go a long way in helping this team get back on track. Poised, physical, jumping into the play offensively...checked all the boxes he needs to tonight.

Tanev: Typical Tanev, just did his job. Looked to have scaled it back a bit offensively tonight, but i'm okay with that. If he and Edler can mesh like they did tonight, we've got a pairing that can do work.

HamJuice: Hammer was mostly good, if a bit detached...played a ton, was fine. Bieksa was a complete disaster i thought, the Kasual Kev show continues to roll on through the preseason. Just completely careless and overconfident in every aspect of the game really. Has looked like garbage through the whole preseason basically...but again, it's Bieksa, that's his thing (hopefully).

Sbisa: Decent about sums it up for me. Less aggressive physically than he's been in previous games, which isn't great...but he made enough easy decisions with the puck to keep himself generally out of trouble and was fairly sound positionally. Showed a nice bout of speed chasing down a guy like Taylor Hall on the penalty, you can see the tools.

Stanton: Same as above, "decent". He's shown better previously, but was a largely uneventful night for him. Looked much like the Stanton of last season, just logged his minutes.

Overall though, i liked where the distribution of minutes on the blueline seemed to be headed. I'd maybe even like to see a minute or two out of the HamJuice pairing donated to Sbisa-Stanton duo as they get more comfortable together, but overall it seemed like a pretty good place to have guys at in terms of workload.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I thought Jensen has looked pretty strong in his preseason games. He clearly is the most ready of our prospects right now. The Horvat injury is tough, but I still think there is more he can improve on in junior.

So is Edler officially good again? Bonino and Vey looked slick. Vey's had a good preseason. We'll see what happens when the games start. I was pleasantly surprised by Dorsett as well. Higgins and Hansen looked solid as ever. But so help me god please keep Sestito off the team.

I've liked Stanton's preseason. Meanwhile Sbisa looks like garbage every time he gets near the puck. I wasn't sold on him before and he's not helping his cause...

Lack is awesome. That is all.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Good to hear Edler is playing well.

We'll need that from him if this team wants to trade him for a nice return by the deadline.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Decent game. Outplayed in the first but got better as the game went along. Good defensively for the most part, but our breakout, especially on the PP, was awful.

- Lack again showing that he should be the starter. Only way to score on him is to kick him in the head. Looks so good - huge, quick, technically awesome.

- Edler had what might have been his best game in two years. Actually looked like cared. Great news if he can keep it up. Tanev also had a strong game alongside him.

- Hamhuis was good but Bieksa had one of his wandering games and was not good at all.

- Sbisa was poor in the 1st but played the best hockey we've seen from him in the last 40 minutes. Stanton also had a bounce-back game.

- Hansen and Burrows both *way* better than previous efforts. Good to see some jump. Higgins also better after a poor game last time out.

- Matthias needed a good game and was much improved.

- Bonino had his best ES game, moved the puck well and made some things happen.

- Vey looks better at C. As discussed after the last game, it probably makes more sense to shift Bonino to wing but I can't picture them doing that to their Kesler replacement.

- Horvat injury sucks, hopefully not serious. Looked like he was about to make the team. :(

- Shinkaruk can be cut now. Completely invisible again. Actually a pretty poor preseason in the end, although of course coming off a serious injury that's probably fair enough.

- so hard to get a read on Jensen. Invisible most of the night but then makes a beautiful play to create the Edler goal. Horvat injury probably helps his chances.

- O'Reilly is probably a handy call up but will surely be cut now.

- Dorsett had a good game, involved physically and had the puck on his stick a fair bit as well.

- Sestito ... ugh. At least he was involved in this game instead of floating around doing nothing, but what a joke of a player. A dumb penalty looking for a place to happen. Deters nothing - was 20 feet away when Horvat was rocked. Go away.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Decent game. Outplayed in the first but got better as the game went along. Good defensively for the most part, but our breakout, especially on the PP, was awful.

- Lack again showing that he should be the starter. Only way to score on him is to kick him in the head. Looks so good - huge, quick, technically awesome.

- Edler had what might have been his best game in two years. Actually looked like cared. Great news if he can keep it up. Tanev also had a strong game alongside him.

- Hamhuis was good but Bieksa had one of his wandering games and was not good at all.

- Sbisa was poor in the 1st but played the best hockey we've seen from him in the last 40 minutes. Stanton also had a bounce-back game.

- Hansen and Burrows both *way* better than previous efforts. Good to see some jump. Higgins also better after a poor game last time out.

- Vey looks better at C. As discussed after the last game, it probably makes more sense to shift Bonino to wing but I can't picture them doing that to their Kesler replacement.

- Horvat injury sucks, hopefully not serious. Looked like he was about to make the team. :(

- Shinkaruk can be cut now. Completely invisible again. Actually a pretty poor preseason in the end, although of course coming off a serious injury that's probably fair enough.

- so hard to get a read on Jensen. Invisible most of the night but then makes a beautiful play to create the Edler goal. Horvat injury probably helps his chances.

- Dorsett had a good game, involved physically and had the puck on his stick a fair bit as well.

- Sestito ... ugh. At least he was involved in this game instead of floating around doing nothing, but what a joke of a player. A dumb penalty looking for a place to happen. Deters nothing - was 20 feet away when Horvat was rocked. Go away.

Agree with the bolded after tonight. Cant say i agree with some of the kings fans who said he was way better suited on wing, maybe due to his faceoff issues (which is an issue), but he is not the kind of player to win board battles, and seems to excel as a puck distributor. I also think it would not be the worst idea to shift vey to center, let bonino play left wing where he played plenty on the ducks, and put kassian on RW or whoever on the 2nd line.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Really can't disagree with anything here.

Only minor qualm would be calling O'Reilly a "handy callup". I'd have him a long ways down the call-up roster based on tonight's play. Didn't seem to accomplish really...anything.

But otherwise agree with everything i think.

Agree with the bolded after tonight. Cant say i agree with some of the kings fans who said he was way better suited on wing, maybe due to his faceoff issues (which is an issue), but he is not the kind of player to win board battles, and seems to excel as a puck distributor. I also think it would not be the worst idea to shift vey to center, let bonino play left wing where he played plenty on the ducks, and put kassian on RW or whoever on the 2nd line.

Yeah. I'm not really sure what the deal was with some Kings fans suggesting that either. Just seems much more the prototypical Center type to me, and apparently the Kings organization as well.

I guess it's probably borne out of trying to fit him into a spot based on two of his weaknesses, rather than his strengths? Still doesn't really fit for me. A natural fit at center who is bad at faceoffs is still a center to me, though it would obviously behoove Vey to improve dramatically in that regard. And when it comes to the board player stuff, it's just not a fit. Still seems much better playing down the middle and when he does engage on the boards, as the 2nd man in support where he generally does a good job of reading the play an positioning himself in actual support of the play at both ends. It's when you see him 1v1 on the wall that he seems to struggle most.

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
Anyone else wondering if Edler's performance results of WD pushing the right buttons with him, or if it's just him feeling no pressure since it's only pre-season?

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Watched the highlights of the game, good to see Bonino on almost every good highlight they showed...opposite for Sbisa who was a turnover waiting to happen it seems...

You guys have an amazing player in Vey wow you guys robbed him from LA..

How has Sbisa/Bonino been the games before today?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Watched the highlights of the game, good to see Bonino on almost every good highlight they showed...opposite for Sbisa who was a turnover waiting to happen it seems...

Sbisa just seems like not a very small hockey player. Good tools and he seems to be able to play bottom pairing minutes to some degree, but stupid decisions are something that we are going to have to live with. Can't see us giving him his QO to be honest, but maybe he surprises this season.

Probably one of the better games for Bonino tonight, but has shown some good hands and vision during the rest of the games as well. Don't know if he figures into our powerplay units right now. I'd expect to see him on the second unit somewhere.

Would be really interested to see Bonino tried on Vey's right wing next game but with the centre injuries I'm not so sure it'll happen.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I'm not really sure that's the read on Sbisa i'd get from this game. He has been prone to the odd bout of spastic fail, but tonight he kept it to a minimum i thought, outside of the one big incident i can recall.

That's pretty much how he's been through the preseason. For me, pretty much as expected. Mobile bottom-pairing guy who plays a physical game. Sometimes makes a silly decision. Though in one of the earlier preseason games he managed to log an insane amount of minutes while still looking pretty decent which was encouraging.

Bonino has been actually...fairly disappointing considering expectations, up until tonight. Which as i said earlier, really the first game he's looked comfortable in his role and the system...made a lot of nice little plays. Hopefully this continues to grow into something real good. Still looks so slow though. Can't help but think he'd be better off as a winger for the most part, where he can battle on the wall and play his give 'n go game nicely.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Bonino also had a real nice stealth takeaway from an oiler tonight, completely picked his pocket, not sure who it was but it lead to a good chance.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You'd think people would learn with Shink from last year not to make any bold claims about him making the roster after a couple productive games. :laugh:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Anyone else wondering if Edler's performance results of WD pushing the right buttons with him, or if it's just him feeling no pressure since it's only pre-season?

Edler had great games in the last few years, just few and far between. He needs to do it consistently before anyone can say he has returned to form

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Can't say too much other than

Canucks look good vs Edmonton and Calgary

Canucks look weak vs San Jose and Phoenix

That is probably about their level, somewhere in the middle laughably bad and decent.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Can't say too much other than

Canucks look good vs Edmonton and Calgary

Canucks look weak vs San Jose and Phoenix

That is probably about their level, somewhere in the middle laughably bad and decent.

So purgatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad