Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 (Bonino, Edler) - Oilers 1 || Who is this guy wearing number 23?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bender*

I guarantee Marc Spector writes a column tomorrow about how "these new and improved Oilers won't get pushed around in their own barn" type piece tomorrow.

The guy should just put his Oil jersey on 24/7. What a tool.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I raised similar concerns in the past. He has that Dale Weise attitude, doesn't look like he's into it when he thinks the coach isn't using him properly. I think he'll have some mediocre games if given a 4LW role.

after being traded from Florida he sounded really upset about the youth movement and losing his job to younger players. now it's happening to him again. get rid of him before he starts whining and causing problems.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I would give Miller a few more games than Lack and then trade him at next years deadline for a team in need of goaltending along with a young player and acquire something big. Then Lack can take no. 1 and Markstrom can come up.
I think we all kind of knew that Lack could be our #1 in the summer but Benning got 'insurance' in Miller. I just hope our media and the city don't try to make it a big deal if Lack starts playing better than Miller because in a couple of years we can probably trade Miller off without it looking like a sign + trade.

NucksRock*

When he got traded here, on his 1040 interview he said he thought he was better than a 4th line player since FLA was giving him 4th line minutes and said he was looking forward to playing a better suited role for him. I wonder how he'll feel if he starts the season on the 4th? Especially on the wing?

well if he pouts and puts himself before the team we know how TL/Benning will deal with that!

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
after being traded from Florida he sounded really upset about the youth movement and losing his job to younger players. now it's happening to him again. get rid of him before he starts whining and causing problems.

Boom.

Smoke.....fire. ;)

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Thought this was a good bounce back game for a lot of guys who have had a rocky start. Edler looked nothing like he usually does; calm, poised and in control...it's only Edmonton, but still - he can usually look like a train wreck against anyone.

Didn't think Burrows looked done at all. Did yeoman's work on the PK and in the dirty areas, and set up the first goal. Also had a handful of chances and was generally dangerous.

Hansen also looked much more like his usual, forechecking-like-a-demon self.

Matthias with easily his best game; if Horvat and/or Richardson are out for any length of time, he may have earned himself a reprieve.

Jensen with a strong game tonight. If one of him or Shinkaruk sticks at this stage, it should be Jensen. Shinkaruk had some brief flashes with the puck, but has failed to really generate anything for a couple of games, while the same isn't true for Jensen. Jensen may be another benefactor of Horvat's injury.

Bonino has some great hands and hockey IQ. His skating is...unorthodox at best, though. Bring in a skating coach!

Dorsett had an effective game; very happy with him as a fourth liner/utility forward.

Lack continues to be excellent. Between him and Miller, we are going to be very strong in net, IMO.

Ugliest points for me tonight were Sestito and Sbisa. I like Sbisa, and given how aggressive the Oilers were being I thought this would be a perfect game for him. Instead he played timid hockey, and handled the puck like it was a stick of dynamite. Sestito was just...awful. Bad penalties, unnecessary fights, terrible hockey plays...just ugh.

Hamhuis and Higgins mailed it in save for a few shifts. Tanev was his typical self. O'Reilly didn't look half bad out there, but also took a bad penalty and was slow to adapt to the play on occasion. Vey was decent, but not as strong as in his previous showings.

Hopefully Horvat is alright; all in all, kind of a mish mash of a game.

I have a slight disagreement with this take, and I like Sbisa, but my take isn't based on that. I thought in the 1st period your take could apply, and well in fact it did. However, in the 2nd and 3rd as I was watching him, in context to the play in the d-zone, I thought he played the body well when he had to, stayed positionaly well in front of his net and didn't chase, and when he had the puck, didn't try and do too much, and when it comes to any glaring mistakes, I didn't see any in the remaining 40 minutes. I thought it was the most solid stretch of hockey he'd played thus far as a Canuck. YMMV.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Thought this was a good bounce back game for a lot of guys who have had a rocky start. Edler looked nothing like he usually does; calm, poised and in control...it's only Edmonton, but still - he can usually look like a train wreck against anyone.

Didn't think Burrows looked done at all. Did yeoman's work on the PK and in the dirty areas, and set up the first goal. Also had a handful of chances and was generally dangerous.

Matthias with easily his best game; if Horvat and/or Richardson are out for any length of time, he may have earned himself a reprieve.

Jensen with a strong game tonight. If one of him or Shinkaruk sticks at this stage, it should be Jensen. Shinkaruk had some brief flashes with the puck, but has failed to really generate anything for a couple of games, while the same isn't true for Jensen. Jensen may be another benefactor of Horvat's injury.

Bonino has some great hands and hockey IQ. His skating is...unorthodox at best, though. Bring in a skating coach!

Dorsett had an effective game; very happy with him as a fourth liner/utility forward.

Lack continues to be excellent. Between him and Miller, we are going to be very strong in net, IMO.

Ugliest points for me tonight were Sestito and Sbisa. I like Sbisa, and given how aggressive the Oilers were being I thought this would be a perfect game for him. Instead he played timid hockey, and handled the puck like it was a stick of dynamite. Sestito was just...awful. Bad penalties, unnecessary fights, terrible hockey plays...just ugh.

Hamhuis and Higgins mailed it in save for a few shifts. Tanev was his typical self. O'Reilly didn't look half bad out there, but also took a bad penalty and was slow to adapt to the play on occasion. Vey was decent, but not as strong as in his previous showings.

Well done.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I have a slight disagreement with this take, and I like Sbisa, but my take isn't based on that. I thought in the 1st period your take could apply, and well in fact it did. However, in the 2nd and 3rd as I was watching him, in context to the play in the d-zone, I thought he played the body well when he had to, stayed positionaly well in front of his net and didn't chase, and when he had the puck, didn't try and do too much, and when it comes to any glaring mistakes, I didn't see any in the remaining 40 minutes. I thought it was the most solid stretch of hockey he'd played thus far as a Canuck. YMMV.

I respect your take...but it sounds like he was most certainly 'timid'.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com

Agree with most though I will challenge your take on Bonino (bolded). He was in the right spots but missed two or three point blank passes through the crease. Put Jensen in there and he at least gets a shot on net. Needs to work on his focus in/around the net and bear down and keep his stick on the ice.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I thought he did play a bit more of a timid game tonight, but as far as the glaring mistakes and handling the puck like a stick of dynamite and such, i agree with your take.

I thought for the most part he handled the puck like a decent 3rd pairing guy tonight, which is...about right expectations-wise. I mean, i'd love it if he magically turned into a puckmoving dynamo out of nowhere, but that's not something i'm going to expect or really hold against him.

He's clearly not a guy that you want handling the puck a whole ton, but if he can make decent little passes and generally stay out of trouble with it, that's alright enough for a bottom-pairing guy in his role. I think the struggles with the puck are a bit exaggerated here.

If anyone handled the puck like a grenade tonight, it was Bieksa. My lord he was careless and overconfident with it...terrible combo. Fortunately, there's reason to believe it's just more of Preseason Kasual Kev mode and will clear up (for the most part) once the games get real. But that's what real problems handling and managing the puck look like to me. And by contrast to that, Sbisa looked pretty okay with the puck, staying within his limitations.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Agree with most though I will challenge your take on Bonino (bolded). He was in the right spots but missed two or three point blank passes through the crease. Put Jensen in there and he at least gets a shot on net. Needs to work on his focus in/around the net and bear down and keep his stick on the ice.

Jensen didn't look good in his opportunities and probably needs another go in the AHL. At least this time it looks as if we have surrounded him with a decent supporting cast.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Shinky and Jensen are done. They'll get there chance this year, but it's clear by their ice time they're headed down.

John Bender*

Jensen didn't look good in his opportunities and probably needs another go in the AHL. At least this time it looks as if we have surrounded him with a decent supporting cast.

Disagree. Like Jensen tonight. Hope he is the guy they give the opportunity to. I think they should send down Shinkaruk and see if he can light it up a bit in the AHL.

Love Dorsett's game tonight. I think the people here that were criticizing that deal can see what it's like to have a truly effective 4th liner. A 4th line with him and Matthias and maybe Richardson on the wing would be exactly what the team has lacked for the past few years.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Finding the Matthias talk kinda silly.

How's about maybe he and the other vets have been doing what they do every year.... Gear up as they get closer to the season.

There's a reason the rookies are slowly starting to disappear... The big boys are beginning to skate.
Shinkaruk was chasing the play all game. Horvat was fading last game... I suspect he'll be in tough the next couple. But still hope he gets a few to 9 gms.
Jensen and Vey are managing to keep up. But Vey as well has seen a lot less open ice than he did in earlier games.. Still looks good on the PP tho..

I'm expecting Matthias to be our 3rd line center after Horvat gets his look.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Vey
Higgens-Matthias-Kassian
Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

Jensen.. 1st callup...

Too many people with short memories of how he played for us last season, and too many people putting waaaaay to much weight on preseason games.
(burrows is done? I'm not even gonna bother.....)

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
I'm really liking Dorsett so far. A great energy guy who can fight and bring some offence.

The thing I like about him so far (and used to hate) is that he always looks a bit dangerous. If you're on the ice against him, you have to pay attention.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Don't worry, it seemed in tight was his specialty last yr... It will come back as the rust peels off..

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
I don't really care... We can play 4 lines all we want we still have crap for scoring and will also be very soft, even with Sestito this is a soft team, even without Sestito this team is going to have a hard time scoring, Sestito in the end isn't going to hurt our offense as we don't hhave much of it.

Uh no. You're only as good as your worst player. If you have a guy on your line who can't take a pass then it's like killing a penalty every time he is on the ice.

Of course it is a low pims team without a face puncher but leading the league in fights gets Sestito what exactly? Certainly not team success

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
A lot of players play both center and wing without an issue, I don't see why it would be an issue for Matthias as well.

Come on. Lots of players play a specific position for a reason, and most are nowhere near as effective when placed out of their natural position.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Finding the Matthias talk kinda silly.

How's about maybe he and the other vets have been doing what they do every year.... Gear up as they get closer to the season.

There's a reason the rookies are slowly starting to disappear... The big boys are beginning to skate.
Shinkaruk was chasing the play all game. Horvat was fading last game... I suspect he'll be in tough the next couple. But still hope he gets a few to 9 gms.
Jensen and Vey are managing to keep up. But Vey as well has seen a lot less open ice than he did in earlier games.. Still looks good on the PP tho..

I'm expecting Matthias to be our 3rd line center after Horvat gets his look.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Vey
Higgens-Matthias-Kassian
Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

Jensen.. 1st callup...

Too many people with short memories of how he played for us last season, and too many people putting waaaaay to much weight on preseason games.
(burrows is done? I'm not even gonna bother.....)

I see richardson as a 3c before matthias personally. Had a good game tonight but by your own admission about pre-season i just have not seen enough from him even going back to last year to pencil him in as a 3c. Ideally I think he may have to stick as a winger. Agree with most of your lines though but I think horvat might get in.

Don't worry, it seemed in tight was his specialty last yr... It will come back as the rust peels off..

Good point here he was really good down low last year, alot of goals scored by him around the net.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
Come on. Lots of players play a specific position for a reason, and most are nowhere near as effective when placed out of their natural position.

That's kind of true but IMHO the more important thing is to be deployed to maximize your skillset on a line - the tried and true formula of corner man, distributer and sniper. It's ok to have the centre sniper (Stamkos) and the winger playmaker (St Louis) although usually it would be the guy who can pass in the middle

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Keeping a close eye on the new guys-

Didn't take long to see why Bonino was a fan favourite in Anaheim. Extremely dangerous, sneaky player from the blue line in. Don't think I could say with any confidence that Ryan Kesler will outproduce this guy over the next 3 years.

Vey's worst game yet IMO. Struggled to generate much and wasn't around the puck as much as in previous games.

Dorsett as well came as advertised. Good skater, great engine, just enough skill to make safe plays with the puck and a player that the other team always takes notice of.

Sbisa got off to a poor start but then settled in and looked respectable. Basically the new Shane O'Brien. Big, skates well, physical, can shoot the puck, just not smart enough to be an impact player. Hoping he can come close to the season Stanton put up last year.

Jensen looks closer to NHL ready than Shinkaruk. Hunter needs the AHL seasoning, likely the full year IMO.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm really liking Dorsett so far. A great energy guy who can fight and bring some offence.

Yeah. Solid game from him tonight.

Biggest thing, is that he looks like a guy who knows his role, and embraces it. Hustles up and down the ice, engages physically, agitates in an intelligent way, drops 'em if he has to, and he'll get some points over the course of a year just dogging the puck and going to the net like he does.

Nothing fancy, just meat and potatoes 4th line play. Sparkplug type...seems to read when the team needs him to instigate something, and when he's better served just walking away. Unlike Sestito, who just seems to come completely unhinged at times...tonight being a prime example.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
If Horvats injury is a separated shoulder or concussion I think he is going back to juniors.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian/Jensen
Higgins - Vey - Hansen
Sestito/Richardson - Matthias - Dorsett/Kassian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad