Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 (Bonino, Edler) - Oilers 1 || Who is this guy wearing number 23?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Purgatory "with benefits"

And then there's Los Angeles who win some cups these days...

With TWO top-10 picks on their roster, only one of whom they actually drafted (Doughty). The other being an old dude Gaborik whom they salvaged into something.

Weird how that works. They've got a lot of good players, and yet they didn't get them all in the top-5 like the Oilers. :sarcasm:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Can't say too much other than

Canucks look good vs Edmonton and Calgary

Canucks look weak vs San Jose and Phoenix

That is probably about their level, somewhere in the middle laughably bad and decent.

I thought we were ok/decent in the split squad game vs san jose at rogers, we did manage a win against the sharks which has been nearly impossible for us the last 2 years.

Only disappointing pre season game for me was pheonix.

arsmaster*

With TWO top-10 picks on their roster, only one of whom they actually drafted (Doughty). The other being an old dude Gaborik whom they salvaged into something.

Weird how that works. They've got a lot of good players, and yet they didn't get them all in the top-5 like the Oilers. :sarcasm:

Brayden Schenn was drafted in top 5. Trade for mike Richards.

Jack Johnson a former 3rd overall pick who forced his way out of Carolina to la was moved for another top 10 pick in Jeff carter.

No need to discuss Kopitar either. Too painful.

arsmaster*

Agree with the bolded after tonight. Cant say i agree with some of the kings fans who said he was way better suited on wing, maybe due to his faceoff issues (which is an issue), but he is not the kind of player to win board battles, and seems to excel as a puck distributor. I also think it would not be the worst idea to shift vey to center, let bonino play left wing where he played plenty on the ducks, and put kassian on RW or whoever on the 2nd line.

I liked vey's honest assessment of himself on the wing during the 1st intermission.

The lack of time given to him fishing pucks off the wall will be a transition for him. Defensively wing will be easier for him. Too bad we don't have a strong winger to take his draws and let him play c.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Brayden Schenn was drafted in top 5. Trade for mike Richards.

Jack Johnson a former 3rd overall pick who forced his way out of Carolina to la was moved for another top 10 pick in Jeff carter.

No need to discuss Kopitar either. Too painful.

Jeff Carter Pick#11. Though it's an arbitrary cutoff, point still stands. How they got those guys a technicality...the point stands. The guys they win with, they haven't drafted with real "tank picks" outside of Doughty. A lot of "mediocre picks" turned into multiple Cups. It is possible. Where a team like Edmonton has drafted how many top-10 guys and got themselves nowhere?

There's more than one way to get somewhere, that's the point.

arsmaster*

Jeff Carter Pick#11. Though it's an arbitrary cutoff, point still stands. How they got those guys a technicality...the point stands. The guys they win with, they haven't drafted with real "tank picks" outside of Doughty. A lot of "mediocre picks" turned into multiple Cups. It is possible. Where a team like Edmonton has drafted how many top-10 guys and got themselves nowhere?

There's more than one way to get somewhere, that's the point.
Had it in my head he went 9th. Now I recall that was Phaneuf.

I think getting the "right" player(s) with those picks is key. And also having a proper system to develop them in. Not letting the kindergarteners teach the class like they have been.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Had it in my head he went 9th. Now I recall that was Phaneuf.

I think getting the "right" player(s) with those picks is key. And also having a proper system to develop them in. Not letting the kindergarteners teach the class like they have been.

Pretty much. Development is crucial. Getting "the right guys" with those picks equally important. But that's the way it goes for anything with drafting and development. You've just gotta do it right.

Sounds simple. :sarcasm:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Can't say too much other than

Canucks look good vs Edmonton and Calgary

Canucks look weak vs San Jose and Phoenix

That is probably about their level, somewhere in the middle laughably bad and decent.

That may be the case but you can't really draw those conclusions based on the set of preseason games.

Last night was the first night with the actual blueline 1-6 playing for instance. Certainly split squad games don't mean much when it comes to how the 20 that make the opening night lineups will perform against each other.

The team simply needs to play and stick to a solid system and they will be given a chance to get points out of the game.

arsmaster*

That may be the case but you can't really draw those conclusions based on the set of preseason games.

Last night was the first night with the actual blueline 1-6 playing for instance. Certainly split squad games don't mean much when it comes to how the 20 that make the opening night lineups will perform against each other.

The team simply needs to play and stick to a solid system and they will be given a chance to get points out of the game.

Edmonton didn't have their best defensive forward or half their NHL d corps either.

I don't think we'll get a real read on this team until at least 10 games in. You can see a lack of physical play now that might show up more in the regular season.

I think we'll be crafty offensively but not sure how many greasy goals we'll be getting.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

That's the way I see it. Our strength is our defence and goaltending where I think we're top half in the league.
Our weakness is probably depth and scoring. We need a few players to take steps forward this year to compete but if we can avoid key injuries and play a sound system we should be ok. The positives to me so far is that I think we probably improved offensively this year even with losing Kesler. Adding Vey,Bonino and especially Vrbata should give us some depth. Now if Kassian can take another step we could have some secondary scoring.
A decent result last night without the top line. But only exhibition and it is the Oilers.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
That's the way I see it. Our strength is our defence and goaltending where I think we're top half in the league.
Our weakness is probably depth and scoring. We need a few players to take steps forward this year to compete but if we can avoid key injuries and play a sound system we should be ok. The positives to me so far is that I think we probably improved offensively this year even with losing Kesler. Adding Vey,Bonino and especially Vrbata should give us some depth. Now if Kassian can take another step we could have some secondary scoring.
A decent result last night without the top line. But only exhibition and it is the Oilers.
Special teams will be the key (think we're more or less alright at even strength) - it'll determine whether a playoff spot is possibility or not.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
I think you missed my whole point. He is not happy at wing, nor does he show the willingness to seriously try. He played his best game at center. hmm?

Where does this sort of crap come from? One preseason game at right wing, one preseason game at left wing, one preseason game at center. Of course he played his best game at center; his entire junior and pro career he has been a center. It has absolutely nothing to do with his happiness or willingness to try and is just a bogus statement.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Special teams will be the key (think we're more or less alright at even strength) - it'll determine whether a playoff spot is possibility or not.

Excellent point! We could really miss Kesler on the PK.
On the power play I really like Vrbata so far. Reminds me of when Kesler could shoot on net. And that new guy on defence, number 23, looked good last night.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Excellent point! We could really miss Kesler on the PK.
On the power play I really like Vrbata so far. Reminds me of when Kesler could shoot on net. And that new guy on defence, number 23, looked good last night.
I'm thinking some of that will be mitigated by better coaching this season.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA

QFT

When the PP died the team's fortunes plummeted.

Haven't seen much evidence of the dreaded neutral zone drop pass and the Sedins with Vrbata looks like it has a halfway decent chance of succeeding.

Also, a bit encouraging is the play of Vey on the PP. He could play the half wall on a decent second unit, with Bonino being a fairly pretty good trigger man.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I might read the thread at some point, but...

- liked that WillieD threw Stanton and Sbisa out against Taylor Hall for the bulk of the game. For our bottom pairing to keep their top line off the board, albeit in a somewhat shaky fashion, they deserve some credit.

- Jensen has to make this team.

- Matthias had a much better game, as did Burr and Hansen. Way better possession and looked threatening throughout.

- Both goals were legit hockey plays

- The team got stronger as the game went on, which is what you'd hope to see in pre-season

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
wait, what? jensen started on the same line as shinkaruk, but ended up getting over four minutes more time on ice than him. throughout the game he was strong on the puck and made some fantastic passing plays, including the primary assist on edler's goal. he was more noticable on the ice tonight - in a good way - than even chris higgins, and he cetainly outplayed linden vey. how does that translate to "down to the minors!"?

Seriously. All it took was 4 posts for me to think I was watching a different game to everyone else...

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Stanton: Same as above, "decent". He's shown better previously, but was a largely uneventful night for him. Looked much like the Stanton of last season, just logged his minutes.

Stanton also had a bounce-back game.

This was important imo. Stanton looked like he can play on the right side and Sbisa looked like he can log some ice-time without wrecking a train.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

And if we could get a 2nd overall pick this year we'd have a bright future too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad