Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1, Blue Jackets 2 (OT) - Part II

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley
When the "bit of a bad streak" is a calendar year and counting, there's bound to be a reaction.

Hard to please crowd. Last years Presidents trophy and current 3rd in their conference and yet they get no respect. You think this is a year long slump? Really? WTF are some of you going to do if this team really has a slump, it is like you think this team is entitled to be automatically playing at a level higher than every other team. Not happening at this moment, fire the coach, bench everyone and trade the farm.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Hard to please crowd. Last years Presidents trophy and current 3rd in their conference and yet they get no respect. You think this is a year long slump? Really? WTF are some of you going to do if this team really has a slump, it is like you think this team is entitled to be automatically playing at a level higher than every other team. Not happening at this moment, fire the coach, bench everyone and trade the farm.
Looks like you haven't watched any games last second half of the season. Canucks got outplayed almost all the games except a few and it was the outstanding goaltending that would come and bail them out a game after game.

Everyone hoped the Canucks were saving their energy for the playoffs but nope, we hardly saw any improvements in the playoffs either.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

Ok I guess you're right, this team is awesome. Next time I'm in the Saddledome getting chirped because the Canucks have never accomplished jack **** and are showing no signs of getting better I'll link them to your post.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I had a dream we lost to CBJ again... in OT. I was ripping my hair out and screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOO." And then I woke up. :laugh:

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley
Looks like you haven't watched any games last second half of the season. Canucks got outplayed almost all the games except a few and it was the outstanding goaltending that would come out and bail them out a game after game.

Everyone hoped the Canucks were saving their energy for the playoffs but nope, we hardly saw any improvements in the playoffs either.

Gotta love the you haven't watched any games quip. So tell me if it was only the goalies who won the games I guess that means other teams don't have as good a goalies. If the only reason the team won is the goaltending then the other teams goaltending must have been way worse since the Canucks were able to outscore them while being a far inferior team. There is no pleasing some people.

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley
Ok I guess you're right, this team is awesome. Next time I'm in the Saddledome getting chirped because the Canucks have never accomplished jack **** and are showing no signs of getting better I'll link them to your post.

Wahhhh the home team fans get on you. So by accomplishing jack squat I take it you mean a Stanley Cup. Well here is some news for ya, only one team can win it and it is unfortunate for you (and me) that the Canucks haven't been the one yet. Ya may want to ask the Calgary fans what the time limit is for claiming that their team is superior due to a cup win.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
While the Canucks' .700 record over the last 40 games last year certainly flattered them, the idea that they were terrible in that span is ridiculous. Yeah, the team went 25-9-6 while being outplayed in every game. That makes sense.

Even if you ignore their record and just look at their underlying numbers (goal differential, Fenwick, etc.)they were still playing at the level of a 100+ point team. Not amazing, but hardly worthy of the scorn they're getting, especially when you factor in Kesler's injury.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
While the Canucks' .700 record over the last 40 games last year certainly flattered them, the idea that they were terrible in that span is ridiculous. Yeah, the team went 25-9-6 while being outplayed in every game. That makes sense.

Even if you ignore their record and just look at their underlying numbers (goal differential, Fenwick, etc.)they were still playing at the level of a 100+ point team. Not amazing, but hardly worthy of the scorn they're getting, especially when you factor in Kesler's injury.

So why is that I look back and don't know if I should have bought Canucks TV or watched that many games last year?

I love stats. I use stats every day. But this isn't baseball. Hockey is a dynamic game. the action is continuous, not discrete. Fenwick does an adequate job, at best. And us having a generally positive shot differential didn't make me any less bored last year.

I don't think it's high expectations to be entertained in a manner in which the team has used previously to also get a President's Trophy. Did our different style of play negatively affect our advanced stats in 2009 or 2010? And yet IMO our personnel got better and faster.

It's also not unreasonable to expect to see a decent energy and effort level in a game. We might have played like a 100+ point team statistically but we definitely achieved that with a casual team attitude. That's freaking infuriating.

And we did get outplayed in a significant amount of games that we managed to win. No, not every game but it doesn't behoove you to come in and use stats to argue for the other extreme.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I wish half (or maybe three quarters) of the posters on this board had been around for the 70's and 80's..now those were some bad Canuck teams.

So that should make us more content to watch the current team underachieve? I understand some perspective is in order sometimes but that's ridiculous.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I wish half (or maybe three quarters) of the posters on this board had been around for the 70's and 80's..now those were some bad Canuck teams.

Well right now is our best shot to win, and AV's lackadaisical coaching (along with the Newell and Bowness) is killing this team. D pairings have been a mess, the PP is utter trash (for a year now), and we've got AV scratching Ballard in favor of junk defensemen, and giving promotions to guys who have single-handily cost us games.

It just hurts to watch, especially when you know the team is better than this.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
So that should make us more content to watch the current team underachieve? I understand some perspective is in order sometimes but that's ridiculous.

Nope, sorry. Because someone you don't know and will never meet is older than you, you have to settle for substandard play of your favourite hockey team.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Nope, sorry. Because someone you don't know and will never meet is older than you, you have to settle for substandard play of your favourite hockey team.

When you watched a team that was the laughing stock of the league for the majority of 30 years or so, and to the point now where fans can't handle them in 7th place overall, you gain a little perspective.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Open question re. Alberts:

Has he played a game for the Canucks where he hasn't taken a mindnumbingly stupid penalty? I can't believe the guy doesn't understand or learn what a fking penalty is. Same story over and over again. I actually don't think he's as terrible a d man as some of you guys, but I can't stand how stupid he is about the penalties he takes.

The crushing hit in the slot, awesome, no problem with that. The dumb-ass slash, hook, elbow in every game I have a problem with.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
When you watched a team that was the laughing stock of the league for the majority of 30 years or so, and to the point now where fans can't handle them in 7th place overall, you gain a little perspective.

I've only been around for 25 or so, I guess I got spoiled hopping on the bandwagon when Trev got here :laugh:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
On the topic of this game, was just watching the "highlights" from it. Those Bluejackets jerseys look really good. Are those third jerseys or did they switch full time?

arsmaster*

So why is that I look back and don't know if I should have bought Canucks TV or watched that many games last year?

I love stats. I use stats every day. But this isn't baseball. Hockey is a dynamic game. the action is continuous, not discrete. Fenwick does an adequate job, at best. And us having a generally positive shot differential didn't make me any less bored last year.

I don't think it's high expectations to be entertained in a manner in which the team has used previously to also get a President's Trophy. Did our different style of play negatively affect our advanced stats in 2009 or 2010? And yet IMO our personnel got better and faster.

It's also not unreasonable to expect to see a decent energy and effort level in a game. We might have played like a 100+ point team statistically but we definitely achieved that with a casual team attitude. That's freaking infuriating.

And we did get outplayed in a significant amount of games that we managed to win. No, not every game but it doesn't behoove you to come in and use stats to argue for the other extreme.
Do you want to be entertained, or do you want to watch a winner?

I know they're not winning currently, but that's not the issue.

You're talking about two different things.

You could argue a pinching defensman missing the puck and creating a two on one the other way is exciting, right?

It's a balance and the balance is off right now. I don't care about the entertainment if there is results. I mean if I'm forking out 200$ to sit there I do, but when I'm sitting at home enjoying a nice Lucky Lager, if the game ends and the Canucks win I'm happier than I am when the Canucks play an entertaining game and lose 5-4.

LA game was cool, San Jose 3rd period was great (but the results stunk). Calgary game and Columbus game sucked in both aspects.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
The waiting game, waiting for team to get the things together. If it does not happen other half of season the play-offs will be a short stint. Teams knows this as it has happened before, cold comfort if nothing happens. We know, team know, we wait and watch.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Do you want to be entertained, or do you want to watch a winner?

I know they're not winning currently, but that's not the issue.

You're talking about two different things.

You could argue a pinching defensman missing the puck and creating a two on one the other way is exciting, right?

It's a balance and the balance is off right now. I don't care about the entertainment if there is results. I mean if I'm forking out 200$ to sit there I do, but when I'm sitting at home enjoying a nice Lucky Lager, if the game ends and the Canucks win I'm happier than I am when the Canucks play an entertaining game and lose 5-4.

LA game was cool, San Jose 3rd period was great (but the results stunk). Calgary game and Columbus game sucked in both aspects.

But I was highly entertained from 2008-2010, during which time they won quite a lot. Which to me suggests that I can have my cake and eat it too.

Now my choice is to watch a boring winner, or an exciting loser somehow? That's a false dichotomy that isn't supported by the recent history of the team. Sorry, but you gave me an exciting winner for three years.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I was once like you; thinking this team would get out of this one year bad spell, and then I kept watching the games, and realized we probably won't get out of this bad spell.

The proof is right in our play - there's no denying it. We're playing terrible, boring, lackluster, with no emotion yet you question fans' positivity of this team. :huh:

YouCantYandleThis*

FTR, I'm not saying you were wrong here, LivePlayoffHockey, that goal was a cluster**** of defensive ****tery.

No blame on Schneider whatsoever there.

HOWEVER, I'd like you to recall that if a goal like that went in last year, a number of you would have lambasted Luongo for the exact same goal, calling him too deep in his net, or not aggressive enough, or just simply not being able to make the big save like his counterpart who stopped the breakaway.

Double standards and what not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad