Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1, Blue Jackets 2 (OT) - Part II

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I would also like a top 6 player to bolster our top 6, but I truly think we have something in Booth, he's been looking quite good recently. Also I have faith in Kassian if he can play confident that he can be successful with Kesler and Booth, if not then I think that the reuniting of the AMEX line could really bring something. Seeing the Sedins as they are right now gives me hope that we can turn it around.

I like Booth, he's playing well, but he has to start scoring. It's becoming unacceptable now. He's had more than enough games to get back in game shape. No excuses for him.

Sedins always play like this, doesn't mean anything for the rest of the team however. We won't turn this around with AV, and I'm feeling pretty confident about that statement as we play more and more games.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Edler pressuring along the boards was okay to do, I mean, he could have executed it 10x better but it was Henrik who should have picked him up, but instead backed off to the far side of the slot.

He seemed to actually back up to make room for the guy as he drove towards the net.

There's nothing ok about that, Edler basically fell while trying to check the BJ player.
And the player just skated by him like a pylon.

But you are absolutely right that Henrik screwed up as well, he basically backed up like the red sea for Moses.

Basically giving a mini breakaway in effect.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I always enjoy your post game comments. :laugh:

Wow! Someone reads them! :laugh:

Edler played 26 minutes tonight, so I wasn't surprised when he basically fell down on that winning goal. He can't handle any more than 22-23 IMO. His best seasons have been when he has averaged that much, and he's played worse in his own zone since he's been asked to average more.

You know, it is possible for Edler to be an elite, #1 defenceman without playing 25 minutes a game. We're supposed to have the defence corps to have a pretty even distribution of minutes.

For example, did he really have to kill 2:35 of penalties? It's not like he is a world-beating PK guy.

Oh, poor Edler, he logged lots of minutes. I saw idiotic plays all night long. The faceplant on the game-losing goal was the cherry on top of the sundae of incompetence that's been Edler's week. His ass needs to improve or take a seat for a game or two when we get healthy. Hell, give Connauton a game or two. Could hardly be worse in his own end right now. Edler's been Bambi/Godzilla for a long time, and I'm getting sick of Bambi. We need Godzilla back.

Well the alternative was likely playing either Barker or Alberts on the PK...

Barker was on the PK. My eyes were like saucers when I saw 18 out there.

So, i'm not a big fan of this Cam Barker guy. lol.

Only a matter of time before he surfaces on the #1PP unit though, i'm sure.

Already on the PK. Probably next game.

Shoot me.

It has to. I cannot believe our roster has already hit the twilight phase, not when you see flashes of brilliance - primarily from the Sedins, but brilliance nevertheless. Boston may have slightly better depth on the forward side however, I would argue both our defense and goaltending is superior. We have the roster, albeit with a little tweaking here or not. Whether we go fishing in the off season for a top six forward or Kassian or Jensen become one. I do believe we can commit. Just not with AV.

The one thing Boston has done that we have not, is evolve. They play a different style than they did two years. Physical, yes but they adapted skill and rounded other aspects of their game to keep up with quick teams like Montreal. We have done no such thing and it has finally caught up with us. Normally, I could tolerate a loss to Columbus or the occasional slump; they happen to every team who isn't Chicago this season. However, this is not something fresh out the past week. We have been an inconsistent mess since last year - supposedly saving up for the playoffs. I only we do not go the Buffalo or San Jose route and toil around when obvious fixes need to be made.

I really want to reach through the computer screen when I see some of the Happy Happy Joy Joy believers around here talking about this mysterious "saving it up for the playoffs" crap and just dummy them. They talk like sucking during the regular season and sucking during the playoffs are somehow mutually exclusive. (note: if any of those is reading this, look up the phrase 'false dichotomy').

I'm seeing the wrong messages being sent over and over to guys not part of the "core". Imagine you're Schroeder right now. Or Kassian. Or Ballard. What would you think your chances are to actually become a difference-maker on the team? The threshold for banishment to the 4th line or press box is razor-thin for them, but other players (have I mentioned Edler's been terrible lately?) can flail helplessly for endless weeks or months on end and that's just hunky-dory with our Commandant. So frustrating.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

*edit* Garrison's been getting steadily better. Now looks like the guy who was advertised by Florida fans: solid defensive dman with a good shot. And...oh yeah...where did Garrison do most of the damage with his shot...? Huh? AV? You out there? Care to take a stab at this trivia question, Hubba Bubba man? Like...possibly on a special teams situation...somewhere we've got an undersized rookie centre playing for reasons unknown to anyone but you?

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I really want to reach through the computer screen when I see some of the Happy Happy Joy Joy believers around here talking about this mysterious "saving it up for the playoffs" crap and just dummy them. They talk like sucking during the regular season and sucking during the playoffs are somehow mutually exclusive. (note: if any of those is reading this, look up the phrase 'false dichotomy').

What the hell are you talking about? this board has more people hoping we become a lottery team than are actually optimistic about the future.

I'm seeing the wrong messages being sent over and over to guys not part of the "core". Imagine you're Schroeder right now. Or Kassian. Or Ballard. What would you think your chances are to actually become a difference-maker on the team? The threshold for banishment to the 4th line or press box is razor-thin for them, but other players (have I mentioned Edler's been terrible lately?) can flail helplessly for endless weeks or months on end and that's just hunky-dory with our Commandant. So frustrating.

I agree with this, there are many players (Bieksa, Edler, Lapierre ect) that have way too long of leash, while Kassian, Schroeder, Ballard ect get demoted over the smallest mistakes. AV seems to have his favorites gives them every advantage over other players that he doesnt have faith in.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
for his size is decent, overall his first step is slower compared to most ds.

If you compare to Alberts, than sure Garrison is more mobile.

I don't think the actual pure 'mobility' gap between the two is that big really. The difference though, is that Garrison clearly has the positional sense and defensive instincts to make up for a lot of it. Alberts does not. At all.

Regardless...if we're trying to justify the mobility (or lack thereof) of our $4.5M multi-year, NTC deal 'top-4 stalwart' defenceman via comparison with Andrew ****ing Alberts...that's a problem.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
What the hell are you talking about? this board has more people hoping we become a lottery team than are actually optimistic about the future.

Maybe you've got them on ignore, but I've seen them out there. Wouldn't be saying it if I hadn't.

I agree with this, there are many players (Bieksa, Edler, Lapierre ect) that have way too long of leash, while Kassian, Schroeder, Ballard ect get demoted over the smallest mistakes. AV seems to have his favorites gives them every advantage over other players that he doesnt have faith in.

Big time. Getting really sick of it. The principle of "meritocracy" needs to come back. I've been seeing this country club mentality creeping in since last year. Nobody should be untouchable as far as I'm concerned.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Maybe you've got them on ignore, but I've seen them out there. Wouldn't be saying it if I hadn't.

Maybe I was distracted by people saying the last goal in OT was a "brutal goal on Schneider" and overlooking the terrible defensive play by both Edler and Henrik. I'll take your word for it though.

Big time. Getting really sick of it. The principle of "meritocracy" needs to come back. I've been seeing this country club mentality creeping in since last year. Nobody should be untouchable as far as I'm concerned.

I agree 100% with this, play who gives us the best shot to win, not whichever player has played better in the past or carries a lot of pedigree

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, sometimes I wonder what would happen if one of Bieksa or Edler were ever scratched. Couldn't hurt to find out, could it? Pretty sure veteran players on other teams have been sent to the pressbox for far less.

But then I remember, with this coaching staff there are different sets of rules for different players. The idea of accountability and a meritocracy system only applies to a certain extent. So they wonder how some of them can get so complacent in their play?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Could not agree more. Kassian was given a stint with the Sedins, who themselves had expressed interest in that adjustment. And while I understand the logic in rotating Burrows back. Why has this lineup never again seen the light off day - the elusive shift or two notwithstanding. Schroeder may be struggling but his opportunities to flourish are certainly not going to come with Weise and whatever other fourth line plug he ends up stuck with. Ballard as a healthy scratch this season was borderline criminal. I could care less if he was directly responsible for a loss (he has not been). The guy has been among our best defensemen and deserves a chance to demonstrate why Gillis gave up what he did for him.

It is one thing to have your favorites - all coaches do. It is another entirely when your obstinate to the point of being a determent simply due to some unknown vendetta. I can appreciate the ideology of "earning your minutes" but when players do. They need to be rewarded. AV seems to play his favorites in spite of better alternatives.

*edit* Garrison's been getting steadily better. Now looks like the guy who was advertised by Florida fans: solid defensive dman with a good shot. And...oh yeah...where did Garrison do most of the damage with his shot...? Huh? AV? You out there? Care to take a stab at this trivia question, Hubba Bubba man? Like...possibly on a special teams situation...somewhere we've got an undersized rookie centre playing for reasons unknown to anyone but you?

Actually LOL for a while over that. Well done. :laugh:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yeah, sometimes I wonder what would happen if one of Bieksa or Edler were ever scratched. Couldn't hurt to find out, could it? Pretty sure veteran players on other teams have been sent to the pressbox for far less.

But then I remember, with this coaching staff there are different sets of rules for different players. The idea of accountability and a meritocracy system only applies to a certain extent. So they wonder how some of them can get so complacent in their play?

yeah this is one thing that I think is really contributing to the erosion of AV's 'process'. It's hard to convince people that they should stick to a system if that system is not set up to eventually reward them. Or when there is a rampant double standard. The bubble guys become afraid or unmotivated knowing they can never move up. And the established guys get complacent because they know how much they van get away with.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
yeah this is one thing that I think is really contributing to the erosion of AV's 'process'. It's hard to convince people that they should stick to a system if that system is not set up to eventually reward them. Or when there is a rampant double standard. The bubble guys become afraid or unmotivated knowing they can never move up. And the established guys get complacent because they know how much they van get away with.

Exactly. Even ignoring the broken system for now, most fans should be able to see something's wrong here. How does a young guy like Schroeder who was playing well in the role asked of him not get discouraged when Lapierre can take his spot, when he's not done anything to deserve the demotion?

Or how someone like Ballard can have a leash short enough that his good play for most of the season thus far is thrown out the window entirely as if it never happened? And then get benched for it, only to have your coach come out and say he just wanted to see what they had in Barker all along? And then see the double standard at play when he watches someone like Bieksa turn the puck over constantly but is saved from the press box simply because he's one of two righties on this team?

How do guys on this team not get mixed messages from a coach that seems to play mind-games with players whether he tries to or not?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Barker is unplayable and Alberts is barely better. I've never seen an NHL defenseman worse at backwards skating and pivoting than Barker. Just beer league level coverage and he should thank his teammates for bailing him out 5+ times. With worse luck he could've singlehandedly lost that game for the Canucks. It's time to admit the mistake and call Wolves, literally any D down there would do a better job than Barker.

If one of these guys has to play even couple of games come playoffs, the Canucks should just give up now. Gillis better have a plan to get actual NHL level depth on defense.

Columbus' first goal was a good example why Raymond as a center is not a reliable long term solution. Just outmuscled in a battle that centers are reliant upon in the defensive zone regularly.

Last edited:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think it is fairly obvious that V is struggling to use the roster G has built. The center situation has been ongoing for months! V seems puzzled.

Since no personnel changes are going to be done on purpose, what about getting games for spares? Can Vandermeer play?

No more days off for Schnieder. Scwoo Lu.

The game is going to get harder played all around the Canucks and they don't seem to have a response. Schnieder can't play any harder. The Sedins can't go any harder. After that, the team drops off to very ordinary levels. No combinations have shown real chemistry, perhaps because they are shifted around so much? V can't set up a line with no centers, that's obvious enough.

I was appalled in 2010, when nothing was done to bolster the team for a cup run. How tight can a team be? It didn't matter. It looks the same, now. Where is the Luongo return? Why were no centers or back up goalies signed? WTF? The roster as it is will be first round fodder again unless additions are made. There isn't much needed, just a couple of guys. Unfortunately those guys are already playing for contenders and won't be traded. Really, unless Gillis has a buddy GM he doesn't have any options. A key center is needed, those guys are rare and valuable and Gillis doesn't have anything he can trade. A shut down defenseman that clears the crease will be needed in the playoffs, is Vandermeer the guy? What about a powerplay QB, is it Barker? Does the team even know?

Gillis is not a trader. He is an off-season architect. I do not expect any help to come from trades. The Canucks only hope is to get going with this roster. Bieksa will help.

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley
Haven't read all the comments but holy crap they better shut down all the bridges in town because there seems to be a lot of jumpers. It is like some have been so spoiled over the last few seasons that as soon as the team hits a bit of a bad streak out comes the blow it up crowd. Crap they are in third spot in the conference, but no not good enough, fire the coach, bench half the team and trade the rest.

The main difference I see in this seasons team to previous seasons is the lack of a top notch faceoff man. Last season the team was third and the season before they were first in the league in FO wins. This season so far...22nd. There is a lot of truth to the win the faceoff and start with possession of the puck and you can control the game a lot better. With out Malholtra and Kesler this team is week on the draw and it shows. Hopefully GMMG will address this at or before the trade deadline.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Haven't read all the comments but holy crap they better shut down all the bridges in town because there seems to be a lot of jumpers. It is like some have been so spoiled over the last few seasons that as soon as the team hits a bit of a bad streak out comes the blow it up crowd. Crap they are in third spot in the conference, but no not good enough, fire the coach, bench half the team and trade the rest.

When the "bit of a bad streak" is a calendar year and counting, there's bound to be a reaction.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
When the "bit of a bad streak" is a calendar year and counting, there's bound to be a reaction.
That's pretty accurate. Goaltending has been bailing out the team most nights since around the 2nd half of *last season*.

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" - and it ain't Hansen.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
That's pretty accurate. Goaltending has been bailing out the team most nights since around the 2nd half of *last season*.

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" - and it ain't Hansen.

Some would argue the goaltending's been bailing the team since the Cup run :/

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Bingo.

I'd say this team has actually be trending downward since the Cup Finals against Boston. Actually that run might have so utterly broken our team physically and mentally we won't have another.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Bingo.

I'd say this team has actually be trending downward since the Cup Finals against Boston. Actually that run might have so utterly broken our team physically and mentally we won't have another.

You mean to say we have been trending downwards since winning the Presidents trophy and finishing first in GF, GA, PP, and PK? That was one of the single most dominant regulars seasons of all time (statistically).

;)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
You mean to say we have been trending downwards since winning the Presidents trophy and finishing first in GF, GA, PP, and PK? That was one of the single most dominant regulars seasons of all time (statistically).

;)

I'm not referring to stats ... I'm talking about, for example, the fact we haven't had a healthy Ryan Kesler since the Bruins series and he hasn't looked like the same player since then. We have not had good balance on the blue line since losing Ehrhoff that off-season (consequently Edler has never looked quite as good due to the fact he has rotating partners), and we have never fielded a third line as effective as we had during that run. Chalk it up to injuries, personnel mismanagement, etc.

I know you're a stats guy, but eyes off the spreadsheet for a second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->