Rumor: Canucks “Sizeable” Trade Soon?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
This makes no sense to me unless Canucks are deadset on Buying out OEL. If Canucks retained on OEL maybe a team would take him but be foolish to add a 4m left D with term to play 3rd pair
Yeah. The inclusion of any LD that isn't immediately expiring, or that doesn't include OEL, makes these trades not work for us. We've now had three coaches that insist on playing Hughes and OEL a combined total of between 45 and 50 minutes a night, no matter who is here to play 3LD.

Retaining on Boeser (I'm assuming to either equalize the cap, or meet in the middle of the two cap hits) would also require Pittsburgh to crank up the assets, regardless of how good Pettersson is on their team. Here, he's playing 10 minutes a night, right or wrong, and 4 million+Boeser retention is way too expensive for that.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Think it's going to be Boeser (with retention) for Marcus Pettersson.

Pens are then going to make a big move for Chychrun.
Depending on how much retention, this would be a big win for Vancouver. Would allow them to bump OEL onto the bottom pairing or even better, buy him out and move on.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I am so jaded from the Jim Benning era that I automatically assume “sizable” refers to two things:

1. The Canucks are the ones acquiring a veteran player with their picks and prospects

2. They are literally trading for a “sizable” large player regardless of their talent or career arc. Erik Gudbranson 2.0. The concussed shell of Aaron Ekblad or an aging Colton Parayko. Etc.

f***.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Think it's going to be Boeser (with retention) for Marcus Pettersson.

Pens are then going to make a big move for Chychrun.
I think the Pens would have to land Chychrun first before moving Pettersson and that it will be Miller with no retention.

Then the Vancouver Pettersson’s have a cult like following and have a side spin local TV show specializing in home made Swedish cuisine.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
With Yamamoto possibly on his 3rd concussion this season what would be the cost for Boeser at 50%?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
With Yamamoto possibly on his 3rd concussion this season what would be the cost for Boeser at 50%?
I don't think gthe canucks are interested in smaller wingers.

Management has been trying to get rid of garland since day 1. They've been trying to turn him into a dman for a while.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I don't think gthe canucks are interested in smaller wingers.

Management has been trying to get rid of garland since day 1. They've been trying to turn him into a dman for a while.
The Yam comment was just there as to why the Oilers would even be looking at Boeser. If he's LTIR then they have the space.

Boeser at 50% retentio! Boeser at a 3.3 cap hit? That would be a 1st and a 2nd, he’s a steal at that cap hit and term
2023 2nd and 2024 1st

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Don't expect an OEL move just because they're targetting a LD.

I think.... they would be totally fine playing OEL on the third pairing
Gives Hughes and Pettersson 1LD / 2LD duties and have them munch 45 minutes a night.
then OEL is playing only 15 mins or less.

Does it make sense paying a third pairing guy OEL salary? NOPE... but this is Vancouver, nothing we do makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad