Cannot poke the Devils 3-2 NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitaine Subban*

No, read the second part of the post, its actually directly connected to the first part.

Our back to back situation was identical to the devils back to back situation, as far as travel and what not goes. So yes, the expectation of "a split" is valid and expected...but saying "hey we got 3 in 4 in a back to back, thats pretty good" is invalid. Its a valid statement when you play one team one night, then travel and play a different team another night whos not in a back to back situation. At that point you go with the mentality "lets make sure we get atleast 2". With both teams playing a home and home, the expectation should be "were in the same situation for both games, we're the better team, 4 points"

I understand what you are saying and it is fair to expect to win against lesser teams on the same condition but nontheless 3 out 4 point is still good on a back to back even against Edmonton.Let's say we only play "lesser" teams 82 times, it will give us 123 point a season which is good so I think that this weekend result is ok considering we are the better teams on the same condition that is we both play 3 games in 4 nights with the last 2 games against each other.
So I think we dont need to panic for an ot loss, you know, the best team dont always win a given game on a given night.

Last edited by a moderator:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
LOL, I kew garbage Markov would cost us the game. Dude can't skate. He has no business being on the ice on a 3 on 3.
Harsh assesment, but at the begining of the season, I was sure that MT would be smart enough to realize that Markov should not be on the ice on 3 on 3.......smart player, but too slow for that much open ice. Habs have to practice the 3 on 3 or watch some video of what to do, and what not to do......

3 out of 4 pts on the weekend...;) :yo:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I don't like how Therrien seemingly roles all his lines in overtime, and as stated earlier, Markov probably shouldn't even touch the ice in those kinds of situation, especially when Subban was rested at the bench.

It's a disappointing finish, but the Devils had no business coming back into this game to begin with.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I don't like how Therrien seemingly roles all his lines in overtime, and as stated earlier, Markov probably shouldn't even touch the ice in those kinds of situation, especially when Subban was rested at the bench.

It's a disappointing finish, but the Devils had no business coming back into this game to begin with.

Subban
Petry
Beaulieu

Those should be our 3 on 3 guys.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Tough December coming up:
dffx3t.jpg

How many wins? The end of December road trip usually is a losing streak historically, without Price and Gallagher hard to imagine it being much more successful. I'd be happy if they can rack up 5 wins in the next 8 games to buffer that road trip.

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
Tough December coming up:
dffx3t.jpg

How many wins? The end of December road trip usually is a losing streak historically, without Price and Gallagher hard to imagine it being much more successful. I'd be happy if they can rack up 5 wins in the next 8 games to buffer that road trip.

Without Price and Gallagher, tough month indeed. I hope we can play over .500.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Subban
Petry
Beaulieu

Those should be our 3 on 3 guys.

Exactly. And it doesn't take a genius to figure this out (common sense).

3 on 3 is not made for turtle-slow Markov.

It would have been great to win back-to-back SO wins.

Anyways...3 out of 4pts is still very nice, but we were so close to a victory. Bottom line...it's all about the playoffs! (can't wait for March/April!).

p.s.: heck...and if Subban, Petry or Beaulieu are all tired...let a defensive forward play dman (Eller?)...anyone but Markov. Anyone that can skate back to help stop a 2 on 1.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Exactly. And it doesn't take a genius to figure this out (common sense).

3 on 3 is not made for turtle-slow Markov.

It would have been great to win back-to-back SO wins.

Anyways...3 out of 4pts is still very nice, but we were so close to a victory. Bottom line...it's all about the playoffs! (can't wait for March/April!).

p.s.: heck...and if Subban, Petry or Beaulieu are all tired...let a defensive forward play dman (Eller?)...anyone but Markov. Anyone that can skate back to help stop a 2 on 1.

I'm seriously starting to question the Markov Subban pairing.
Even a Jersey poster noticed how anemic they played in that back to back.
PK seems very commited and heavily invested in the physical game down low.
Does anyone think he is close to being as quick as he once was?
He does a great job freeing up pucks but his partner isn't getting to them.
I swear Beaulieu would be a perfect match for PK.
I always thought this was our D of the future.
Now with Petry clearly dominant in a top 4 role its time to try him with Markov.
Jeff uses mobility to ride players off the puck and recovers a ton of pucks single handedly.
He can use Markov as an outlet and it should give the General that split second of extra time to be effective moving the puck. If that doesn't work we need to rethink Markov's role IMO.
Its getting harder to watch him when he gets slightly fatigued.

Phenom

Grind deez guyss - Michou
Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
Best player on the Habs for 3 on 3 hockey = Galchenyuk

Best player of the game and the past week = Galchenyuk

Galchenyuk shift on 3 on 3 = 0

Result of game = Loss

Therrien = Fail

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
that was too much NJdevils for one weekend.
my gosh what a boring team to watch and play against.

That was my feeling last season watching the Habs play. Relying on a great goalie to steal games. Struggling to score goals. Playing a safe defensive type system. The Habs of last season were pretty much playing like the Devils of this season.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014

Result of game = Loss

Therrien = Fail

Pretty much this. Oh and, DD's still has more icetime when they were the worst line out of the top3line last game.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Result of game = Loss

Therrien = Fail

You didn't catch that 5 sec shift with Weise?
Chucky leads all centers with about 8-10 five second shifts this year.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Now with Petry clearly dominant in a top 4 role its time to try him with Markov.
Jeff uses mobility to ride players off the puck and recovers a ton of pucks single handedly.
He can use Markov as an outlet and it should give the General that split second of extra time to be effective moving the puck. If that doesn't work we need to rethink Markov's role IMO.

The Habs coaching staff has overplayed Markov the past 2 seasons and he had nothing left in the tank for the playoffs and they're doing it again this season. Last years playoffs where a complete disaster for Markov and probably the worst hockey I've ever seen him play.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The Habs coaching staff has overplayed Markov the past 2 seasons and he had nothing left in the tank for the playoffs and they're doing it again this season. Last years playoffs where a complete disaster for Markov and probably the worst hockey I've ever seen him play.

Completely agree with you. It's not as much an issue right now, but they definitely need to be mindful of Markov's stamina in the weeks leading up to the playoffs. Start scaling back on his TOI in February, rest him for a few games in March, strap his ass to a sofa if he complains.

I cannot believe they won't address this crystal-clear problem this season.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Pretty much this. Oh and, DD's still has more icetime when they were the worst line out of the top3line last game.

I don't put this on DD cause DD is usually one of the best players either on 4 on 4 or 3 on 3. It's having all the other mixes and not having Chucky that is baffling.

Or overusing Max when he clearly isn't made for this and he's not a 100%.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So Bud Holloway sent down after the game. Who's taking his place?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Gallagher gonna be out for a long time i really think we should call a kid with enough skills to take his place. Unless Hudon has some out of the ice problems we don't know about he deserves a chance. He has been in the AHL for almost 1 year and an half now.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I think the only benefit to the Markov - Subban pairing is that it helps out Markov a lot. Markov would be better on the 2nd unit now. I'd try him with Petry as well. I'm not sure Beau is ready for top 2 yet, but might as well give him a go.

Subban needs a faster, stronger partner. Marky ends up behind the play a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad