GDT: canhur

What did you watch during our much needed break?

• Total voters

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Your previous description wasn't so clear that the kid himself wasn't drinking alcohol, just his friends. Given you said "spilled a drink or two" I assumed you were talking about that kid sitting next to the man, and that the drink was alcohol.

I can see where he assumed it was the kid with cancer.
Ah, that's fair. To clarify, that kid with cancer wasn't drinking (from what I could tell).

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
A pretty good summary of why I don't go to games much anymore. One great thing about going to bad hockey is that there's always an empty seat (or section) that lets you get away from nonsense like this.
Yep. It's definitely more the case in the 300s sections than it is in the 200s and 100s. Makes sense though as it's a lot easier on the pocketbook to buy 20 seats up there so that's where a group like that ends up. You are right though, there weren't a lot of options to move to another seat where-as years ago there was.

My kid bought the seats for 5 of us up there because they were the most economical

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Refs got the W

Any team with Z, Myers and Cole can’t play a period free of penalties yet here we are
I think this was the most defensive style game the nucks have played this year and the first time I can remember a team made life so difficult 5on5.
The crazy thing about the d you mentioned especially Myers, is how disciplined that group is. Cole has been a great mentor but our coaches Tochett, Foote and Gonchar are miracle workers. I know you guys probably felt that cross check was over the line but I hate when red's decide the game as long as it doesn't impede a scoring chance, under 3 minutes left let them play unless it's a real bad cross check or high-stick.
JT was absolutely hooked and it almost led to a chance but same reasoning.
Can't say I'll miss playing you guys best of luck.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think this was the most defensive style game the nucks have played this year and the first time I can remember a team made life so difficult 5on5.
The crazy thing about the d you mentioned especially Myers, is how disciplined that group is. Cole has been a great mentor but our coaches Tochett, Foote and Gonchar are miracle workers. I know you guys probably felt that cross check was over the line but I hate when red's decide the game as long as it doesn't impede a scoring chance, under 3 minutes left let them play unless it's a real bad cross check or high-stick.
JT was absolutely hooked and it almost led to a chance but same reasoning.
Can't say I'll miss playing you guys best of luck.

Your team looks great this year. Tochett should be a lock for the Jack Adams in my opinion.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It was clear that the Canucks were frequently going for the long stretch passes coming out of their zone, trying to catch the Canes off-guard. It was so easy to see from the area I was sitting in. Carolina did a great job disrupting that and not allowing grade-A chances from that.

I'm guessing Vancouver generates a lot of offense from that normally?

After scoring the 3rd goal, it was also clear the Canucks went into a defensive mode of getting it deep and changing, relying on Demko to hold the fort.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I'm obviously in the minority but didn't feel like that was a bad game for us. Decided by an unlucky bounce and Koochy looking lost for a minute; Tripp's criticism was warranted but I really feel like he thought that puck was continuing around the boards.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I'm obviously in the minority but didn't feel like that was a bad game for us. Decided by an unlucky bounce and Koochy looking lost for a minute; Tripp's criticism was warranted but I really feel like he thought that puck was continuing around the boards.
Agreed. Going back and watching it, I think Kochetkov took his eye off the puck at just the wrong moment. If that puck bounces a moment earlier, he sees it and scrambles.

If it bounces a moment later, it's in front of him and he sees it. But it bounced out exactly as he turned around expecting to pick up the puck on the glass.

Kochetkov got caught "looking lost" because he was trying to pick up the puck on the glass again.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
It was clear that the Canucks were frequently going for the long stretch passes coming out of their zone, trying to catch the Canes off-guard. It was so easy to see from the area I was sitting in. Carolina did a great job disrupting that and not allowing grade-A chances from that.

I'm guessing Vancouver generates a lot of offense from that normally?

After scoring the 3rd goal, it was also clear the Canucks went into a defensive mode of getting it deep and changing, relying on Demko to hold the fort.

"It was clear that the Canucks were frequently going for the long stretch passes coming out of their zone, trying to catch the Canes off-guard. "
I think that's the book on playing the Canes. You use stretch passes to disrupt our D's pinch it also disrupts our tight spacing.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
To your point, Natural Stat Trick suggest Canes were the dominant team:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
btw: KK gets a lot of "stick" around here and perhaps deservably so but per this look he had a great game last night:
1707323687831.png

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think that's the book on playing the Canes. You use stretch passes to disrupt our D's pinch it also disrupts our tight spacing.
I think that's how Vancouver plays in general though. My kid follows them closely and sees pretty much every game of theirs, so he was telling me a lot about the last night.

My view is Carolina did a very good job last night disrupting that and not letting Vancouver get many scoring chances off of that and he agreed that they were struggling to play the game they normally like to play.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
100%. My seats are pretty much in line with the boards there and you could tell he was expecting it to continue and very much had a 'oh shit' reaction when it didn't.

Not great, but come on that's a routine play 99% of the time. Shame it happened when it did, but it is what it is.

My biggest gripe from this one was our offensive play, especially at 5v5. Up until about the last 5 minutes of the game, it was probably the most lethargic, lazy half assed game I've seen them play in a while. And I don't care that it was the first game after the break, it was for Vancouver as well, and it very much reminded me of how flaccid we looked against Florida last year in the playoffs.

As an aside, why don't we have guys who try to throw big hits. So often we have guys lined up, and we just turn away or do a slight nudge to them. And its not because we don't have guys who can hit, Burns could absolutely wreck guys if he wanted to, we just don't do it, outside of a rare hit every once in a while. With the amount we forecheck, you'd think we'd be trying to make hits all game long to wear down the opponent, but it doesn't seem to be a part of our game anymore.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
To your point, Natural Stat Trick suggest Canes were the dominant team:

That's misleading. Vancouver was the dominant team in the 1st period. Teams were relatively even in the 2nd. In the 3rd, after Vancouver got the lead, they just played a defensive game of getting it out of the zone, dumping it deep and changing. Canes dominated chances in the 3rd but a lot of that was because of how Vancouver was playing to protect the lead.

Still, it was a boring game, but it wasn't that bad of a game by Carolina. 2 great tips on the PP by Lindholm and a misplay/weird bounce on the game winner.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Vancouver is one of the best teams in the league right now, and the addition of Lindholm has made them better. The top teams are gonna be close to 50-50 most nights, with a break one way or the other deciding the difference. That's exactly what happened here. Play that same game and win 90% of the time against lesser opponents and 50% of the time against equal opponents and you're in the playoffs.

Last edited:

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
100%. My seats are pretty much in line with the boards there and you could tell he was expecting it to continue and very much had a 'oh shit' reaction when it didn't.

Not great, but come on that's a routine play 99% of the time. Shame it happened when it did, but it is what it is.

My biggest gripe from this one was our offensive play, especially at 5v5. Up until about the last 5 minutes of the game, it was probably the most lethargic, lazy half assed game I've seen them play in a while. And I don't care that it was the first game after the break, it was for Vancouver as well, and it very much reminded me of how flaccid we looked against Florida last year in the playoffs.

As an aside, why don't we have guys who try to throw big hits. So often we have guys lined up, and we just turn away or do a slight nudge to them. And its not because we don't have guys who can hit, Burns could absolutely wreck guys if he wanted to, we just don't do it, outside of a rare hit every once in a while. With the amount we forecheck, you'd think we'd be trying to make hits all game long to wear down the opponent, but it doesn't seem to be a part of our game anymore.
I guess I'd be more worried if Van had been lighting us up 5v5 but they weren't either.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

I think part of why Burns has lasted so long is that he is pretty frugal with his hitting. I recall he did step up with more bodywork in LY's playoffs but I've concluded that's not him.

Rest of D:
Skjei, Slavin and Orlov do have that capability to hit but it's not their thing or they have been advised to stay in position and minimize regular season hitting (so far, in Orlov's case he often makes the wrong move to hit). Chatty tries but is not big enough

On O:
Svech when he is in the mood is fierce (of course refs do penalize him more often though), Jarvis, KK, Drury, Noesen and Staal-Martinook (Marty more so) do throw the body but not often fiercely. We also don't have head hunters on the squad the way Florida and others do (btw: Vancouver last night was blasting our guys positioned out front without the puck and it was the night that the refs didn't call interference on them.....our guys rarely police the front that way)

OTH Aho, TT, Bunting, Necas, Fast are more stick checkers versus body guys (perhaps I being too harsh on Fast) and it's rare to see them punish people.

I was in favor of the Meier trade because another big body would have been beneficial and still believe we are short one big, tough winger (I'd move Fast, Bunting or TT + other assets to get one) that will be needed to play Florida and who ever comes out of the West (ie Vegas actually pushed around Florida LY and are tough when they need to be).

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad