GDT: Canes Yotes Zero Effort

2 12 oz Drinks

Or Less
Nov 1, 2011
United States
I'm curious about this. I didn't really notice 'bad goaltending' per say in this game compared to earlier games. Is it because I'm distracted by a much better offensive presence? I will say Eddie Lack is quite the spring board.

I felt the same way. Sure he could play better but he had looked better than Ward so I'd say keep giving him starts cause it looks like he's finally putting something together

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In fairness, if Ward had given up 3 goals on 13 shots in the third period, Many on this board would have been up in arms.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Tell me more about Rask, I was expecting Lindholm to really break out this year but it looks like Rask is having a solid season (point wise) I havnt watched more than a few canes games so far this year so I dont know much..

Rask might be my favorite Cane right now. He is always where he needs to be and is pretty strong on the puck. He is a pretty good passer and has been getting better 1v1 and shooting.

His game reminds me a lot of Mikko Koivu.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
In fairness, if Ward had given up 3 goals on 13 shots in the third period, Many on this board would have been up in arms.

Lack looked terrible in the 3rd. Stopped being in control after the breakaway goal. Seems like his mental toughness isn't quite there.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Lack looked terrible in the 3rd. Stopped being in control after the breakaway goal. Seems like his mental toughness isn't quite there.

Yep and yep. I get it, we won, I like Lack as well... but that game should have been 4 or 5 to 2, not 5 to 4. Lack just completely blew up after that goal and we're lucky the team was able to bail him out this time.

I'd give him the next start, but I'd still have a very quick hook just in case **** starts to go south. And if it's another shaky outing, even in a win, I give Ward the Panthers.

2 12 oz Drinks

Or Less
Nov 1, 2011
United States

Very fair, but I'd want to give him another start at least to see if it's just been a funk or if this is how he's gonna play here. His numbers in Vancouver wouldn't have suggested he'd play this poorly. We pretty much know what we have in Ward, and we're getting closer to figuring out what we have in Lack

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Very fair, but I'd want to give him another start at least to see if it's just been a funk or if this is how he's gonna play here. His numbers in Vancouver wouldn't have suggested he'd play this poorly. We pretty much know what we have in Ward, and we're getting closer to figuring out what we have in Lack

Honestly, I think we have a ways to go before we see the payoff from signing Lack. I think he's struggling mentally on this team as other players that have left better teams have. I would imagine coming from a winning culture with a great fan base to the Hurricanes is a hard transition.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
hi guys, caps fan here

can you tell me something about Hanifin? I have seen only few Hurricanes games and he looks really good out there. I'm big fan of him

also, Faulk is the monster

I'm going to run that line into the ground.

Eddie Lack has to be one of the Canes worst goalies that Ive ever seen wear a Canes Sweater and that says a lot. He probably creates more chances with his rebounds than the opposing team actually creates.

Holy hyperbole.

That's what I love about this board. Had Ward given up any of those goals in the 3rd, we'd have at least 3 pages of *****ing and moaning. Where are guys like SG after a period like that?

I'm leaning more towards Marcoux being the problem at this point. Let Lack play the style that he was successful with, make tweaks when he struggles, not before. Hopefully with a few more starts, he gets a bit more confident and can hold it together when the rails come off a bit.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
That's what I love about this board. Had Ward given up any of those goals in the 3rd, we'd have at least 3 pages of *****ing and moaning. Where are guys like SG after a period like that?

To be fair: Lack has already been established as a ****** goalie, so it's nothing new. The reason for the Ward chatter was that he seemed to be established as the starter despite not being very good. Now that we're bouncing back and forth between our bad goalies, I suspect that most of us are fine with it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
To be fair: Lack has already been established as a ****** goalie, so it's nothing new. The reason for the Ward chatter was that he seemed to be established as the starter despite not being very good. Now that we're bouncing back and forth between our bad goalies, I suspect that most of us are fine with it.

Ward was established as the starter for the same reason he was established as a starter last year: He found his game faster. Incumbency earned him the majority of the starts in October, and there weren't really any glaringly bad games over the first few weeks. In fact, IIRC, he earned a shutout early in October (against the Avs, maybe?)

Meanwhile, Lack's three starts in October didn't really do anything to fight for that starter's position. The entire team didn't show up in his first game against Florida, he got wrecked in a game against San Jose, and almost blew a game against the Islanders.

Since then, it's been poor game after poor game from both our goaltenders. Ward's had 3 good games post-October, Lack's had 2.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Ward was established as the starter for the same reason he was established as a starter last year: He found his game faster. Incumbency earned him the majority of the starts in October, and there weren't really any glaringly bad games over the first few weeks. In fact, IIRC, he earned a shutout early in October (against the Avs, maybe?)

If you want to call a sub-.900 save percentage behind a better-than-average defense "finding his game," I'll have to go ahead and disagree with you, but that's fine. You're right that he was better than Lack. The point is, even though he was better, he still wasn't good.

Meanwhile, Lack's three starts in October didn't really do anything to fight for that starter's position. The entire team didn't show up in his first game against Florida, he got wrecked in a game against San Jose, and almost blew a game against the Islanders. Since then, it's been poor game after poor game from both our goaltenders. Ward's had 3 good games post-October, Lack's had 2.

No argument there. Again: I'm happy with the "win and you're in" philosophy in the absence of a clear Number One. I think we can all agree that right now, both of our goalies are playing like they're Number Two.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
And when I say "Number Two" I mean
decadd7edb6b1014ca0cb7a1afcb8ea3.png

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
You would have to think that this team would probably be in a playoff position if one of our goalies wasn't
decadd7edb6b1014ca0cb7a1afcb8ea3.png

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Personally, I'm just tired of talking about Ward, watching Ward, hearing about Ward, just Ward. I'm guilty of certainly talking about him, and picking on him when I wouldn't pick on Lack but I'm really just ready for him to be gone. Even if that's not fair, and just an emotional reaction, it's where I'm at.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Holy hyperbole.

Seriously though. I know it's only been a few games, but how many goalies in Canes history have been worse?

Of course John Grahame was swiss cheese. Jamie Storr (03-04) was pretty awful too. I still remember his first NHL Game against the Flyers when he let in a shot from like the red line.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Seriously though. I know it's only been a few games, but how many goalies in Canes history have been worse?

Of course John Grahame was swiss cheese. Jamie Storr (03-04) was pretty awful too. I still remember his first NHL Game against the Flyers when he let in a shot from like the red line.

Neither of those guys first NHL games was for the Hurricanes.

Michael Leighton was deplorably bad as well. I had forgotten about Tyler Moss and Eric Fichaud who played more games than Lack has so far and were indescribably terrible.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hard to say who was better or worse, but some bad ones I remember in recent history.

Brian Boucher was pretty bad in his short stint here. I was happy when the Canes picked him up as I thought they "finally" had a legitimate back-up so Ward wouldn't have to play 70+ games, but he was terrible.

John Grahame was brutal in his 2 years here.

Michael Leighton would have moments of "WOW" (in a good way) but many moments of "Are you kidding me?" (in a bad way). Overall though, he was pretty terrible with the Canes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad