GDT: Canes/Wings III; or, "Last Chance for a 3-Goal Game"

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The team looked good tonight, for 60 minutes on both ends of the ice. Defense played well, forwards played responsible, Ward played well, etc.. Other than a few Hainsey hand grenades, and all forwards getting deep on the last PP along with Faulk trying to rub a guy out on the boards up high, I really can't remember many situations where they didn't make the right play. Faulk, Murphy, Liles, Pesce and even Jordan played well IMO. Forwards weren't particularly dangerous, other than a few plays, but held their own.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I didn't see Pesce the last game, but I thought he was pretty impressive this game, particularly since it was only his 2nd game. Jordan looked much better than prior games as well, maybe it's because he was on his natural side? Not sure.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
That is one of the worst games I've ever seen EStaal play.
Pesce was easily our 2nd best defenseman. If that's how he plays regularly, he could step right into our top 4. Hell, I wanted him on the ice instead of Hainsey at the end.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That locker room looks like one of those rooms where one would meet a parole officer. Not that I would know.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
The team looked good tonight, for 60 minutes on both ends of the ice. Defense played well, forwards played responsible, Ward played well, etc.. Other than a few Hainsey hand grenades, and all forwards getting deep on the last PP along with Faulk trying to rub a guy out on the boards up high, I really can't remember many situations where they didn't make the right play. Faulk, Murphy, Liles, Pesce and even Jordan played well IMO. Forwards weren't particularly dangerous, other than a few plays, but held their own.

Yeah, this. The closer they get to the opponent's net, the more tentative they get. They looked more certain on D, with only a few of those soft "lightly bounce it off the boards and hope it clears the blue line" plays.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Jordan was night and day playing on his normal side. If the intention is to field a competitive team, Pesce needs to stay.

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
Jordan was night and day playing on his normal side. If the intention is to field a competitive team, Pesce needs to stay.

Even over Hanifin? If anyone needs to go to the AHL it is Murphy IMO. He has the offensive production of a defensive defenseman and the defensive production of my sister.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Even over Hanifin? If anyone needs to go to the AHL it is Murphy IMO. He has the offensive production of a defensive defenseman and the defensive production of my sister.

Only 1 game, but I thought Murphy looked pretty good tonight (and generally, I'm not a fan of him). Made the right plays defensively, didn't look overmatched, and overall, played pretty solidly.

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
Only 1 game, but I thought Murphy looked pretty good tonight (and generally, I'm not a fan of him). Made the right plays defensively, didn't look overmatched, and overall, played pretty solidly.

I'll admit that he wasn't terrible tonight defensively. There was a point in the second period where we had the Wings on their heels and he had a prime opportunity to shoot the puck just outside the right face off circle and he took his time to stop and pass the puck. This gave the Wings a chance to get back into position and block the shot. It pissed me off because that is precisely the point in a game where a player like Murphy should excel not screw up. It was clear as day that he should have shot the puck. It seems like that happens too often with him.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Have you watched any games this year at all? Murphy has been average at worst defensively. Hanifin and Pesce have nothing to do with one another as they play different sides of the ice.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'll admit that he wasn't terrible tonight defensively. There was a point in the second period where we had the Wings on their heels and he had a prime opportunity to shoot the puck just outside the right face off circle and he took his time to stop and pass the puck. This gave the Wings a chance to get back into position and block the shot. It pissed me off because that is precisely the point in a game where a player like Murphy should excel not screw up. It was clear as day that he should have shot the puck. It seems like that happens too often with him.

Well **** if we disect one play to decide whether we send a guy down or not they send Faulk down for trying to give the game away on the PP with 2 minutes left.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The Hurricanes are currently 2nd in the League in SA/G at 25 per (they were 3rd last year, this isn't a fluke).

They are 21st in GA/G: but that may have to do with their 26th in the League Sv%.

Murphy, Hanifin, Faulk, Liles and Pesci all look good (albeit Pesci in his 2 games)...is it due to Peters system, or are they all that good? They can certainly skate well and move the puck well, I don't think it's a coincidence that Hainsey and Jordan have looked awful, and are by far the least mobile of the above group.

Is it fair to say that Peters' system is a defensive system? I still think the ultimate goal is to load up on young talent in the draft, then when they're on the cusp of competition fire Peters and promote Brind'Amour.

That Faulk screw up was hilarious, I assumed it was Jordan to make such a boneheaded play.

Also Cam Ward rocking that .908, almost at .500 for the first time in 4 years or so. :yo:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
That is one of the worst games I've ever seen EStaal play.
Pesce was easily our 2nd best defenseman. If that's how he plays regularly, he could step right into our top 4. Hell, I wanted him on the ice instead of Hainsey at the end.

Yeah, Pesce looked good, and IMO, he should stay up for a bit. I'd be happy to see him in a few more games.

This was a good game. Stuff to build on for sure, but a good game. Let's do more of it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Factors in Jordan's better showing:

1. not playing his off side
2. bottom pairing role (hint: he's an okay to pretty good #6 but an overmatched #4)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad