GDT: 'Canes (WC1) @ Caps (Met1) Game 1

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
I, personally, don't give a **** about 1940s Soviet hockey.

I, personally, doubt that anybody else here gives a **** about 1940s Soviet hockey.

I, personally, don't care about your feelings on this subject, and encourage you to discuss them with people who do care.

i think all of this is 100% true, with everyone on the hurricanes side of the board...

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Let me share my opinion:

I, personally, don't give a **** about 1940s Soviet hockey.

I, personally, doubt that anybody else here gives a **** about 1940s Soviet hockey.

I, personally, don't care about your feelings on this subject, and encourage you to discuss them with people who do care.

But I'm sure he was very good.
Well first of all, are you a Bobrov fan then, as he was a thing mostly in the 50s?:sarcasm: (You know, some nations actually fought in the big war in the 40s)

And oh, Bobrov was one year younger than whoever that guy was I have to explicitely put here I don't care about 'cause it was canadian 1940s hockey you name the trophy after Ovechkin seems to win all the time.

But I am sure he was very good.

Reactions: Identity404

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Well first of all, are you a Bobrov fan then, as he was a thing mostly in the 50s?:sarcasm:

And oh, Bobrov was one year younger than whoever that guy was I have to explicitely put here I don't care about 'cause it was canadian 1940s hockey you name the trophy after Ovechkin seems to win all the time.

So who are you anyway, and why are you here? Like, it's a Canes hockey board, yeah?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
What is the relevancy of your post though? The NHL is that now. So what? It is still a local league. Just like any other. What is the connection to best russian goal scorers all-time?
And what relevancy do old local soviet leagues have in regards to the NHL and the Caps vs Canes exactly? Your posts have no credibility what so ever. All you do is whine.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So who are you anyway, and why are you here? Like, it's a Canes hockey board, yeah?

I did a quick search for "Gretzky" by Atas2000. Appears he's a Russian that's been posting about this type of stuff (North American fans not recognizing Russians) since at least 2013 from what I can tell (and probably earlier).

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
This is true. Unfortunately, I couldn't find shot attempts by period, because I'm pretty sure that would have illustrated my point better. They had 43 shot attempts for the game, and I believe about half of them in the first period. But I couldn't find the stat, so I settled for attempting to make my point with shots on goal, and it didn't hold up.

The Caps didn't get their first shot on goal until about 9.5 minutes into the first. Canes came out and was outplaying them from the start. They scored on their 2nd shot and then we decided it would be a good idea to take penalties and caps scored on their first 2 PP chances, putting us in that 3-0 hole. Even strength, the Canes were the better team from the start of the game.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I did a quick search for "Gretzky" by Atas2000. Appears he's a Russian that's been posting about this type of stuff (North American fans not recognizing Russians) since at least 2013 from what I can tell (and probably earlier).

Always going on about the chl and how the league ruins Russian prospects.

Really quite funny.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I think this is the Russian equivalent of that guy that barges in to the Gretzky vs. Lemieux vs. Orr discussions with “Gretzky imma let you finish but Dit Clapper scored 41 goals in 44 games in 1929-30 and...”
He's the guy always going on about Cyclone Taylor. Seriously, a skilled guy who played against laughably bad talent putting up huge numbers is not surprising. Pro leagues back then had a skill range of modern NHL star to local beer league A division. And those were the good leagues. One decent player in a low level local league could utterly dominate. The good players would have massive numbers because they could abuse terrible players to run up their counts. The expected distribution of goals was far different because the talent distribution wss different and the fundamental rules of the game were different. Pretty sure it's safe to say that Ovie is a better player than the guy who had similar numbers in an era where goalies had to stand.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I am obviously biased, but I think Mrázek couldn’t do much with any of the goals. So I hope he gets a start again.

I'm also a fan but the 1st goal is on him. Nice shot from Backstrom but an NHL goalie has to make the save there. Having said that...if Mrazek doesn't start every single game of this series, I'm gonna be seriously upset

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He's the guy always going on about Cyclone Taylor. Seriously, a skilled guy who played against laughably bad talent putting up huge numbers is not surprising. Pro leagues back then had a skill range of modern NHL star to local beer league A division. And those were the good leagues. One decent player in a low level local league could utterly dominate. The good players would have massive numbers because they could abuse terrible players to run up their counts. The expected distribution of goals was far different because the talent distribution wss different and the fundamental rules of the game were different. Pretty sure it's safe to say that Ovie is a better player than the guy who had similar numbers in an era where goalies had to stand.

Thank you for typing all this. I had largely the same point to make, but couldn't be bothered -- easier to put a guy on block.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

That was my question. How can you say a guy is a better goal scorer when he was playing 100% stand-up goaltenders. Did they even wear masks?

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Well first of all, are you a Bobrov fan then, as he was a thing mostly in the 50s?:sarcasm: (You know, some nations actually fought in the big war in the 40s)

Atas2000 probably does not know or want to remember that the soviet union hockey system was built on gathering all the best players to the red army club/team CSKA. Imagine now that all the best north american talent is gathered up to build a Superteam, practically all the best NA players will be there - at the moment that team would consist of basically the nhl-allstars - yeah sure you would see prime talent guys putting up unbelieveble stats every season.

(And oh, lots of countries in Europe at least, know and remember about the big war and the russian occupation of European countries after that :))

Last edited:

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Atas2000 probably does not know or want to remember that the soviet union hockey system was built on gathering all the best players to the red army club/team CSKA. Imagine now that all the best north american talent is gathered up to build a Superteam, all the best players will be there - at the moment that team would consist of basically the nhl-allstars - yeah sure you would see prime talent guys putting up unbelieveble stats every season.

Up 5:36 mins

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Atas2000 probably does not know or want to remember that the soviet union hockey system was built on gathering all the best players to the red army club/team CSKA. Imagine now that all the best north american talent is gathered up to build a Superteam, practically all the best NA players will be there - at the moment that team would consist of basically the nhl-allstars - yeah sure you would see prime talent guys putting up unbelieveble stats every season.

You obviously pretend to be an expert on a matter you are barely familiar with, i.e. soviet hockey history. You are reciting tales that are repeated till you bleed to the broad public abroad.

Let me tell you the amazing truth. In time things change. The state of affairs you are describing is only typical for a fraction of the timeline of soviet hockey. Yet you pretend it was always like that because you were never told otherwise and never actually cared to acquire knowledge on your own.

For the time period relevant(Bobrov's time as a player) all your glorious insights are nonsense. starting with the fact that Bobrov himself has not played for CSKA during his prime, nor was that period as CSKA dominated as the 80s for example. So your theory of a superteam CSKA falls pretty flat. You are also blatantly unaware of the fact that even during the Tikhonov days when the practice you describe indeed took hold CSKA might have been the best team, but not nearly dominant enough to win every game with a blowout like you want us to believe. The scores were still balanced and other teams had some talent level you are again unaware of. In fact out of soviet teams that later played the series against NHL and WHA teams only Dinamo Riga had a losing record in the series. CSKA was far from not challenged and players from other teams might have been not as great as the CSKA's top lines, but obviously easily NHL comparables. Also by your "great" logic Bobrov should have won the scoring title every year he played. Yet he was challenged by players you definitely haven't even heard of. In different times they would probably be well known superstars in the hockey world(they were in the Soviet Union). So don't make it look like Bobrov was scoring against weak teams at will because it is simply not true.

(And oh, lots of countries in Europe at least, know and remember about the big war and the russian occupation of European countries after that :))

Oh, you mean like the Soviet Union purging the world of the genocidal fanatics. And then the US occuppation of Western Europe? Don't even try to double-standard here. The spheres of influence were divided up by western powers as much as by the Soviet Union. If you call it "occupation", then it was that on both sides and at perfectly same conditions if you try to look past the propaganda that lets you present the western empires as some sort of angels who can do no wrong while theeastern ones are alltogether evil. This is not how it works IRL. The stupid BS about "freedom" and "democracy" in is for 12.y.olds. People who put humans with different skin colour in the back of the bus and discriminated women right into the second half of the 20th century should really sweep in front of the own door first. In the end it was wht it was: a spere of influence agreement between two empires. And both haven't hesitated to quell any "rebellion" within those spheres by all means.

And what is that "russian occupation"? Why not ukrainian or latvian?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You obviously pretend to be an expert on a matter you are barely familiar with, i.e. soviet hockey history. You are reciting tales that are repeated till you bleed to the broad public abroad.

Let me tell you the amazing truth. In time things change. The state of affairs you are describing is only typical for a fraction of the timeline of soviet hockey. Yet you pretend it was always like that because you were never told otherwise and never actually cared to acquire knowledge on your own.

For the time period relevant(Bobrov's time as a player) all your glorious insights are nonsense. starting with the fact that Bobrov himself has not played for CSKA during his prime, nor was that period as CSKA dominated as the 80s for example. So your theory of a superteam CSKA falls pretty flat. You are also blatantly unaware of the fact that even during the Tikhonov days when the practice you describe indeed took hold CSKA might have been the best team, but not nearly dominant enough to win every game with a blowout like you want us to believe. The scores were still balanced and other teams had some talent level you are again unaware of. In fact out of soviet teams that later played the series against NHL and WHA teams only Dinamo Riga had a losing record in the series. CSKA was far from not challenged and players from other teams might have been not as great as the CSKA's top lines, but obviously easily NHL comparables. Also by your "great" logic Bobrov should have won the scoring title every year he played. Yet he was challenged by players you definitely haven't even heard of. In different times they would probably be well known superstars in the hockey world(they were in the Soviet Union). So don't make it look like Bobrov was scoring against weak teams at will because it is simply not true.

Oh, you mean like the Soviet Union purging the world of the genocidal fanatics. And then the US occuppation of Western Europe? Don't even try to double-standard here. The spheres of influence were divided up by western powers as much as by the Soviet Union. If you call it "occupation", then it was that on both sides and at perfectly same conditions if you try to look past the propaganda that lets you present the western empires as some sort of angels who can do no wrong while theeastern ones are alltogether evil. This is not how it works IRL. The stupid BS about "freedom" and "democracy" in is for 12.y.olds. People who put humans with different skin colour in the back of the bus and discriminated women right into the second half of the 20th century should really sweep in front of the own door first. In the end it was wht it was: a spere of influence agreement between two empires. And both haven't hesitated to quell any "rebellion" within those spheres by all means.

And what is that "russian occupation"? Why not ukrainian or latvian?

Blah blah blah

Blah blah blah blah blah

Blah blah

Blah blah blah

Also:

Blah blah

Blah blah blah blah blah blaaaah

And in conclusion:

No one cares, gtfoh

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015

Yeah I remember him as a regular in the Tolchinsky thread on the prospects board, whining about how NA and the Canes "ruined" him. It's kind of his thing

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yeah I remember him as a regular in the Tolchinsky thread on the prospects board, whining about how NA and the Canes "ruined" him. It's kind of his thing
You need to learn to read then. Because you are "whining" about imaginary things. Tolchinskiy has ruined his career himself by going to NA too early. But you are so immaturely defensive that you turn the meaning of my posts inside out. Also blame your management for drafting a guy who has mental issues and makes wrong decisions. Nobody forced them to use a draft pick on him.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Amazing post for a 3 year oldm I guess. Thanks for confirming your intellectual level.

So arguing the relative merits of a long dead Soviet hockey player with a bunch of people who aren't interested, and also clearly don't like you, is your idea of intellectual stimulation?

Okay. Enjoy your visit. Pardon me if I don't stay for the rest of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad