GDT: 'Canes (WC1) @ Caps (Met1) Game 1

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Going to be real tough for the Canes to take this series with Aho at 70%. I was hoping a few days off would miraculously heal him, but he remains very much hampered. Still standing still for 20% of his shifts watching the play.

Svechnikov is going to be so good. He needs some confidence, some experience, and a heady playmaker and this kid will be a 40+ scorer.

It's crazy the Canes have played Svech down low on the PP2 all year. This year Svechnikov had a lower Shots/60 (6.86) on the PP than anyone else on the Canes. Lower than Wallmark (7.06), Staal (9.23), and Slavin (9.64). Justin Faulk (15.16 shots/60) and Hamilton (16.28 shots/60) were the Canes leaders.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2013
The goddamn lack of the metric system. All things get messed up because of that like the Masonic plan of Tampere, Finland, where one church is in the distance of 666 archines, or Russian ells, from the Old Church's steeple, whereas all the others are on the circle of 666 metres, and the pentagram got all wonky because of that.

You are one of my favorite posters

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
This is an nhl forum.

Why act surprised that we don’t know about a guy born in the 1920’s who never played outside of the Soviet Union?
This is a NHL forum, but you can easily limit it by calling Ovechkin the greates russian goal scorer in the NHL then, which would be perfectly true. Otherwise those misconceptions stick with people.

Look, I could turn the tables and say, who is that Gretzky guy? He never played in the Soviet Union.

Oh, btw both Gretzky and Bobrov played outside their countries on international level. Too bad there was no possibility for NA and soviet players to play against eachother earlier, but it is what it is.

Bobrov is still a part of hockey history and a ridiculous phenom 254 goals in 130 games in the Soviet Union championship, 89 goals in 59 games internationally.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Here is my forward lineup for next game.

Ferland Aho Williams
Foegele Staal TT
**Nino Wallmark Svech
Melanoma Martinook McGinn

Ferland hasn't been going neither has Aho. Put them out just to eat the Caps best D pair bit decrease their minutes. Take Aho off the PK and give pp2 equal split. Maybe they spark each other. Ferland hasn't been good without Aho.

Foegele was clearly going let him get the puck for TT. Who I don't think was bad in game 1. TT has a quiet game and gets too much hate imo.

Nino has been great let him click with Svech and Wallmark who have underrated playmaking. Let's the top 3 lines get equal ice time. Think of itias 3 second lines. t think Nino still is productive in this slot.

Tell the 4th line to hit anything that moves and make the Caps D clench their buttholes.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
This is a NHL forum, but you can easily limit it by calling Ovechkin the greates russian goal scorer in the NHL then, which would be perfectly true. Otherwise those misconceptions stick with people.

Look, I could turn the tables and say, who is that Gretzky guy? He never played in the Soviet Union.

Oh, btw both Gretzky and Bobrov played outside their countries on international level. Too bad there was no possibility for NA and soviet players to play against eachother earlier, but it is what it is.

Bobrov is still a part of hockey history and a ridiculous phenom 254 goals in 130 games in the Soviet Union championship, 89 goals in 59 games internationally.

Perhaps you should try to educate North American fans then if his legacy is so important to you.

He retired 62 years ago - long before the majority of today’s fans were born - and never played professionally on this continent. Unless you had an interest in hockey history you’re not likely to learn about him.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Svechnikov scores twice in third, but Canes fall 4-2

by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com
"It was a strong first period, but everything went their way," Staal said.
"I thought we came out pretty good. I liked our first period, but it's just unfortunate we got down three. I thought we started the first 10 minutes way better than I thought it was going to be," Brind'Amour said. "It's a tough game because we did a lot of good things."
backhand to his forehand to beat Braden Holtby
About 90 seconds later, Lucas Wallmark fed Svechnikov with a beautiful slap pass across the zone, and Svechnikov one-timed it home to bring his team within a goal.
"It means a lot to me [to score], but we lost the game," Svechnikov said.
Svechnikov finished the night with his two markers, three shots and one hit in 13:37/IT.
"He was able to get us back in the game," Brind'Amour said. "It was good on him, and he didn't look out of place, especially in the third. He took a big step, in my opinion."
The story in this game boils down a simple statistic: The Capitals were 2-for-4 on their power play, while the Hurricanes were 0-for-3.
That was the simple difference.
"That was the biggest problem for us," Svechnikov said.
"Our special teams in general has to be better. Both PK and power play weren't good enough," Staal said. "Special teams have to be better if we're going to win some games."
The Caps took two penalties in the final nine minutes of the game when the Canes were down just a goal, but they couldn't connect to draw the score even.
"It's a tough game because we did a lot of good things, but the special teams got us," Brind'Amour said. "That's pretty much the whole story in that game."
Game 1 Recap: Canes' Comeback Falls Just Short

Reactions: Identity404

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

I think this is the Russian equivalent of that guy that barges in to the Gretzky vs. Lemieux vs. Orr discussions with “Gretzky imma let you finish but Dit Clapper scored 41 goals in 44 games in 1929-30 and...”

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Detroit Red Wings: The Russian 5 were very Good!
kozlov-fetisov-fedorov-larionov-konstantinov-detroit-red-wings-russian-five.jpg

The Russian Five in 1997 after winning the Stanley Cup.
Back row: Vladimir Konstantinov, Sergei Fedorov, and Slava Fetisov.
Front row: Slava Kozlov and Igor Larionov
How the Red Wings assembled the Russian Five

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Seems like the main board in convinced that we're going to get smoked in 4 and that Jeff Skinner is the missing piece for us to have a chance. Apparently the Caps just allowed us to outplay them 5v5 because they're smart like that.

I guess I'll just stay here from now on

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
If we take it to 6 games it's a success and a good learning experience tacked on to a nice season.
I enjoyed last night. Not everything was ideal, but the Canes had a chance to tie the game late in the third. Not a bad outcome given the opponent was the defending champ and took a quick 3-0 lead.
Seriously, Canes fans shouldn't be as frustrated as Tampa, Boston, or Colorado fans.
I still believe the Canes can take the series.
The future is bright: Svechnikov and Wallmark provided a glimpse of the next few seasons; Saarela and Gauthier both scored in Charlotte; Helvig won his first playoff start as a professional. This is the best time for being a Caniac since 2009.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Feb 22, 2019
D.C.
Seems like the main board in convinced that we're going to get smoked in 4 and that Jeff Skinner is the missing piece for us to have a chance. Apparently the Caps just allowed us to outplay them 5v5 because they're smart like that.

I guess I'll just stay here from now on

I see little point in posting in the main board discussion thread about our series. Life's too short lol and we have a great community of disgusting jerks here ;) . remember people were already calling for a sweep in the Bolts series after 1 period :laugh:

ETA: I'm VERY PARTICULAR about getting player's jerseys. I usually make them go through a probationary period before I put them on my back. (My lone exceptions for young players have been Judge (Yankees) and Svech and I think I've chosen wisely).

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

I fail to see how that has any relevancy to Ovi or the NHL. The NHLs the best league in the world. Get over it.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I fail to see how that has any relevancy to Ovi or the NHL. The NHLs the best league in the world. Get over it.
What is the relevancy of your post though? The NHL is that now. So what? It is still a local league. Just like any other. What is the connection to best russian goal scorers all-time?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Apparently the Caps just allowed us to outplay them 5v5 because they're smart like that.

I don't think they're wrong on this one. Once the Caps got up 3-0, they didn't really try to create a lot. The Caps had *9* shots on goal over the final 40 minutes last night, including getting shut out on two power plays. Ovechkin and Backstrom combined for zero.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think this is the Russian equivalent of that guy that barges in to the Gretzky vs. Lemieux vs. Orr discussions with “Gretzky imma let you finish but Dit Clapper scored 41 goals in 44 games in 1929-30 and...”

Anybody who has seen this guy play and was able to intelligently analyze his performance would have to be 80+ years old today :laugh:

Why even make claims comparing players from such a completely different era which no one can possibly dispute.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Let me share my opinion:

I, personally, don't give a shit about 1940s Soviet hockey.

I, personally, doubt that anybody else here gives a shit about 1940s Soviet hockey.

I, personally, don't care about your feelings on this subject, and encourage you to discuss them with people who do care.

But I'm sure he was very good.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Before they went up 3-0 they didn’t create a lot either.

This is true. Unfortunately, I couldn't find shot attempts by period, because I'm pretty sure that would have illustrated my point better. They had 43 shot attempts for the game, and I believe about half of them in the first period. But I couldn't find the stat, so I settled for attempting to make my point with shots on goal, and it didn't hold up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->