GDT: Canes vs. Sabres...in Da UP

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah. Cool to see though. I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan not too far away from where this game is being played. While D1 College hockey is big there, never thought I'd see a pro game there so cool to see.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That's why Murphy will continue to struggle. Behind the net he just weakly let go of the puck behind the net when the hit was coming. Tough to play D in that manner.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Murphy shift rating: Good. Played Girgensons correctly, stayed on him, beat him to the puck and got a decent zone clear.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Murphy shift rating: Good. Played Girgensons correctly, stayed on him, beat him to the puck and got a decent zone clear.

But your missing the part where he was caught out of position and had to hustle back to break up a 2-1 on that shift. It was a nice play to hustle back and get it, but the almost 2-1 was because he was caught out of position. Yes, I realize I'm being extra picky on Murphy, but it's because he needs to be decent, even as a bottom pairing guy.

Edit: but in fairness, your comment was valid as well.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
By the way, there is a very large Finnish community in the Upper Peninsula of MI. There's a college which used to be called Suomi College (now Finlandia University) and for years, there was a regular show every Sunday on the TV station in Marquette called Suomi Kutsuu (Finland Calling) hosted for 53 years by a guy named Carl Pellonpaa. A lot of Finns came there to work in the mines (Copper, Iron).

Aho and Teravainen must feel right at home as there are still a lot of people that speak their language and a lot of food / culture from their country.

LadyCane

Mar 4, 2012
da UP
I went to Northern Michigan. This convergence of chatter about the Wildcats while the Canes are playing in Marquette is absolutely amazing.

I just wish I could be there.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I went to Northern Michigan. This convergence of chatter about the Wildcats while the Canes are playing in Marquette is absolutely amazing.

I just wish I could be there.

Yeah, remember having that discussion with you before when you first went there, but couldn't remember who it was.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Murphy shift rating: WTF???? Murphy cheated away from the right side toward center ice, then played the resulting rusha of 3 on 3 as if he and Hanifin were unsure who was covering who. Murphy should have clearly kept to his side of the ice.

But your missing the part where he was caught out of position and had to hustle back to break up a 2-1 on that shift. It was a nice play to hustle back and get it, but the almost 2-1 was because he was caught out of position. Yes, I realize I'm being extra picky on Murphy, but it's because he needs to be decent, even as a bottom pairing guy.

Edit: but in fairness, your comment was valid as well.

So he almost made a mistake, but didn't because he was able to recover? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad