GDT: canes vs oilers #conspirasy edition

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Keys to winning:

Get points from your stars (Lindholm, Staals, Skinner, Faulk), get good goaltending, get a lead and hold on to it. That's a pretty novel idea, maybe they should try it more often?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Tonight was the kind of game we need to see from the team consistently. Had some hiccups, but that's to be expected. But if they play like they did tonight on a consistent basis, the hole they need to dig themselves out of may not seem so big.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Tonight was the kind of game we need to see from the team consistently. Had some hiccups, but that's to be expected. But if they play like they did tonight on a consistent basis, the hole they need to dig themselves out of may not seem so big.

The problem is, there are only 2-3 teams, like the Oilers, that are worse than the Canes, so it's easier to play those sort of games against inferior opponents. :sarcasm:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

The only thing we have going for us, other than the occasional effort, is that several teams in the eastern conference are struggling. Scoring is down, and oddly enough we're only 4 points from 6th place. Wat? Yes. However, my hopes are at an all time low so I won't have an emotional breakdown this season when we miss the playoffs.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
We are three points out of wildcard.

And 2 points out of last place in the east. :laugh:

Need to keep it in perspective, we are on pace for 75 points right now through 82 games. The least number of points for making the playoffs in previous years in the east:

14/15: 98
13/14: 93
12/13: 94 (pro-rated)
11/12: 92
10/11: 93
09/10: 88
08/09: 93
07/08: 94
06/07: 92
05/06: 92

So the Canes would probably need at least 90 points to make the playoffs when all is said and done, which means they'll have to play at a considerably better pace than that given the hole they are in already. I just hope Francis doesn't get a false sense of security at the deadline if the team is 8-10 points out by then.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
And 2 points out of last place in the east. :laugh:

Need to keep it in perspective, we are on pace for 75 points right now through 82 games. The least number of points for making the playoffs in previous years in the east:

14/15: 98
13/14: 93
12/13: 94 (pro-rated)
11/12: 92
10/11: 93
09/10: 88
08/09: 93
07/08: 94
06/07: 92
05/06: 92

So the Canes would probably need at least 90 points to make the playoffs when all is said and done, which means they'll have to play at a considerably better pace than that given the hole they are in already. I just hope Francis doesn't get a false sense of security at the deadline if the team is 8-10 points out by then.

I'm pretty sure everyone's aware of how the numbers play out. Let the people have their fun for a change.

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
Not saying we will make the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if three points out is the closest we get to playoff position.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The problem is, there are only 2-3 teams, like the Oilers, that are worse than the Canes, so it's easier to play those sort of games against inferior opponents. :sarcasm:

Meh, we beat the bad teams, we earn the occasion win and/or OTL against better teams, and there's a chance.

Now whether the Canes are capable of that is another thing all together.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Canes get so passive with a lead. Just dump it and retreat.

I get it, trying to protect a lead, but taking their foot off the gas can be playing with fire.

It always makes me laugh how polar opposite people can view things. I actually made the comment that it was great to finally see them continue to pressure with the lead. At about the <3 min mark, they still had 2 guys forechecking pretty consistently. EDM only had one sustained attack that I can think of during the final 5 minutes or so.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
With other scores shaking out we are 5 points from a wildcard, not 3. And 2 away from last in the conference. I think those two facts speak more to how tightly packed the bubble is than how bad the canes are.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm pretty sure everyone's aware of how the numbers play out. Let the people have their fun for a change.

Not sure how me posting the reality of the situation doesn't still "let them have their fun", particularly if you are already sure everybody is aware of the numbers that I posted. :dunno: I'm posting my views, not how I expect others to feel.

After the last 5 years, I a realist (some may see it as pessimist which is their prerogative). I will root for this team to win every game they play, but I refuse to believe that they are anything more than a bottom 5-8 team and it will take more than a win against the worst team in the NHL to change that. If others want to feel positive about their current situation, I have no problem with that, but that won't change my view, nor will it deter me from posting my views. Disappointment is a mismatch between expectations and reality. After how this team has performed in recent years with many of the same key players, my expectations are low. I'd love them to prove me wrong though.

I do have some higher expectations for the future though. The defensive core is shaping up nicely and I see a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it's a couple years off.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It always makes me laugh how polar opposite people can view things. I actually made the comment that it was great to finally see them continue to pressure with the lead. At about the <3 min mark, they still had 2 guys forechecking pretty consistently. EDM only had one sustained attack that I can think of during the final 5 minutes or so.

It wasn't consistent and for a stretch there, they were just dumping it out of the zone, settling back and getting out shot I think 2-1. That's when I made that post you quoted (just over halfway through the third and right after the post, Rask then had the delay of game penalty as he was just trying to dump it out of the zone). The Canes were more aggressive after that penalty / PK, as you pointed out and limited the Oilers to very little after that.

I realize a lot of it was probably getting quick changes and keeping guys fresh though so in the end, they held onto a lead and won.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
With other scores shaking out we are 5 points from a wildcard, not 3. And 2 away from last in the conference. I think those two facts speak more to how tightly packed the bubble is than how bad the canes are.

Oh, there's no doubt that right now there is a lot of mediocrity in the league and if there was ever a year for a weaker team to go on a run and sneak in, this is as good as any. The Canes will need to improve on their current 75 point pace though to have a shot at it.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Not sure how me posting the reality of the situation doesn't still "let them have their fun", particularly if you are already sure everybody is aware of the numbers that I posted. :dunno: I'm posting my views, not how I expect others to feel.

After the last 5 years, I a realist (some may see it as pessimist which is their prerogative). I will root for this team to win every game they play, but I refuse to believe that they are anything more than a bottom 5-8 team and it will take more than a win against the worst team in the NHL to change that. If others want to feel positive about their current situation, I have no problem with that, but that won't change my view, nor will it deter me from posting my views. Disappointment is a mismatch between expectations and reality. After how this team has performed in recent years with many of the same key players, my expectations are low. I'd love them to prove me wrong though.

I do have some higher expectations for the future though. The defensive core is shaping up nicely and I see a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it's a couple years off.

I wasn't trying to deter you from posting your views.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad