Speculation: Canes to make more moves

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Those feeling antsy about Gardiner are more concerned about where his skating is than impatient about how he's adapting to the system. He looked better yesterday, but he was laboring for weeks. You can live with the hiccups defensively, but he needs to be the guy that skates the full 200 to generate offense.

gard's skating never impressed me

Our 2nd pick back in return from the Fox deal.
not enuf, the market will pay more

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Skjei is a much better skater if not also def player than Gardiner, who you can flip to Montreal for a cheap pick/cap relief.

combo package of smaller deals
Skjei + Deangelo + Georgiev + Buch 3.25 rfa x 2 at half = 1.625 per + Rangers 2021 2nd
rough cap = 7.592
4 players + 1 pick

for

Canes 2020 1st, Leafs 2020 1st
Edmundson 3.1, or Reimer 3.4 x 2
TVR 2.3
Claesson .7, McKeown .7 all expiring
rough cap = 6.8
4 players + 2 picks

deal is cap, roster size compliant

analysis
- Skjei is upgrade over Gardiner who is dealt cheap for cap recovery. At. 5.25 he is slightly overpriced by .75, but this diminishes over deal, which has term, finishing as Skjei hits 30.
- Geo is rfa controlled and upgrades Reimer who is moved either this deal or another
- Deangelo is emerging higher end RD
- Buchnevich is talented but yet to fully hit all cylinders. He is a bargain at half and Rangers eat his half next year.
- Canes retain the 2nd this yr for Fox and get a 2nd for next yr

the D and G moves are obvious and Buch fits middle 6 in that lineup

Rangers
- wince at loss of Geo, but immediate path for Shesty and we have other guys who move up
- have emerging LD and get structural cap reform moving Skjei and to lesser extent Buch/Deangelo.
- give Buch mins to Strome, Howden
and not least, have 2 1sts to add to their own.

did I miss something?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Skjei is a much better skater if not also def player than Gardiner, who you can flip to Montreal for a cheap pick/cap relief.

Skjei + Deangelo + Georgiev + Buch 3.25 rfa x 2 at half = 1.625 per + Rangers 2021 2nd
rough cap = 7.592
4 players + 1 pick

for

TVR 2.3
rough cap = 6.8
4 players + 2 picks

analysis
- Skjei is upgrade over Gardiner who is dealt cheap for cap recovery. At. 5.25 he is slightly overpriced by .75, but this diminishes over deal, which has term, finishing as Skjei hits 30.
- Geo is rfa controlled and upgrades Reimer who is moved either this deal or another
- Buchnevich is talented but yet to fully hit all cylinders. He is a bargain at half and Rangers eat his half next year.

Rangers
- wince at loss of Geo, but immediate path for Shesty and we have other guys who move up
- have emerging LD and get structural cap reform moving Skjei and to lesser extent Buch/Deangelo.

did I miss something?

Two 1sts + TVR + Reimer + AHLers
For
Skjei + Buchnevich + Georgiev + DeAngelo + 2nd

I mean, sure?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
For

I mean, sure?

but where would they all fit?

Nino - Aho - TT
Dzingle - Haula - Necas
Svechnikov - Staal - Foegele
Martinook - Wallmark - McGinn
Williams - Buchnevich

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Gardiner - Edmunson
Fluery - DeAngelo

Mrazek
Georgiev

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
For

I mean, sure?

Sure!
I mean I am being overly generous w/NY 2021 2nd, but NY gets high end futures which is not only good on its face, but also as to juggling exp draft situation.
Also better cap fit which accelerates Kreider at 6.2 x 5.
Claesson McKeown are ok for bottom depth
Trimming vet excess from NYR roster is long overdue

Glad you liked it from the CAR side

Only bite in the ass risk is if Geo turns into best G ever, and we didn't deal him to WC.
But I like most NYR netminders/prospects atm

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Nino - Aho - TT
Dzingle - Haula - Necas
Williams - Buchnevich

I see Buch as middle 6, at worst bottom 6. So you have an extra depth F. Bury it for depth, or flip it.

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Gardiner - Edmunson
Fluery - DeAngelo

In this scenario you preferred to flip Reimer instead of Edmundson, which is fine. I said Gardiner gets moved for cheap. Eds is the spare unless you prefer to move him also.

Mrazek
Georgiev

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Nino - Aho - TT
Dzingle - Haula - Necas
Williams - Buchnevich

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Gardiner - Edmunson
Fluery - DeAngelo

Mrazek
Georgiev

Trade McGinn and one of Edmundson/Gardiner for peanuts.

Nino - Aho - TT
Svechnikov - Staal - Buchnevich
Dzingle - Haula - Necas
Foegele - Wallmark - Williams
Martinook

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Edmundson/Gardiner - DeAngelo
Fleury

Mrazek
Georgiev

Reactions: bernmeister

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada

rough cap = 7.592
4 players + 1 pick

for

TVR 2.3
rough cap = 6.8
4 players + 2 picks

analysis

Rangers

did I miss something?
Bern, again too many pieces moving, simplify it .

Reactions: Getz2noone

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Any interest in Mikes Wood , Simmonds , Vatanen?
Salary can be retained .
Looking for picks or prospects in return , preferably D prospects

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Trade McGinn and one of Edmundson/Gardiner for peanuts.

Nino - Aho - TT
Svechnikov - Staal - Buchnevich
Dzingle - Haula - Necas
Foegele - Wallmark - Williams
Martinook

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Edmundson/Gardiner - DeAngelo
Fleury

Mrazek
Georgiev

That’s a very nice looking lineup with a lot of depth .
However Buchnrvich replaces with a wing with grit and strong forecheck would be better in my severely biased opinion lol.
Simmonds or Wood is your guy !!
Vatanen on your 3rd pairing and your set for s playoff run !

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
That’s a very nice looking lineup with a lot of depth .
However Buchnrvich replaces with a wing with grit and strong forecheck would be better in my severely biased opinion lol.
Simmonds or Wood is your guy !!
Vatanen on your 3rd pairing and your set for s playoff run !

Svechnikov and Staal provide plenty of grit. I don't have any interest in Simmonds or Wood in the Canes top-6.

Vatanen is the best option on the market. I'd like to see him solidify the Canes top-4 but he will be too expensive. I don't think Waddell moves out a 1st for any rental left on the market.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

rough cap = 7.592
4 players + 1 pick

for

TVR 2.3
rough cap = 6.8
4 players + 2 picks

analysis

Rangers

did I miss something?

Bern, again too many pieces moving, simplify it .

not guilty as charged.

People want simple solutions to complex problems. That is not the real world, where to get somewhere you accept a phase one and then continue to smooth the edges, with subsequent moves.

An example in NHL is after we had McDonagh deal, Stevie Y felt like holding up GMJG threatening to kill it unless he could extract Miller for Namest. That is basically one larger deal, but it was realized as 2 separate transactions.

That one may be more blatantly obvious, but I don't doubt that, while they are different levels of connectedness, many time a move triggers a reaction.

But when we post, we are used to a minimum. Take my word, you are going to see larger not smaller deals, whether it is direct in one transaction or a sequence. Because the harder the cap is, the more difficult it is to work around, and it can not be ignored. That means either:
- no deal
- a smaller deal where someone takes a bit of a loss
- or a larger deal that attempts to keep refining the balancing.

----------------------
On this one, how much do you think there is to cut?
If you go back on it carefully, and realize the clubs also want to do something besides Dea for a 1st and Geo for another 1st, how big a whoop is it to have a combo deal, which is what I noticed at the beginning?

I was a tad too generous with a future Ranger 2nd. If that is not a deal killer, that can come out.
What does that result in, 4 for 6 asset wise?
What is that, 2 for 3 x 2?

this is a very delicate balancing act

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Canes are looking for a defenceman? Maybe they shouldn't have traded Faulk in the off-season :facepalm:

This is why Carolina has only made the playoffs once in the past, what, 13 years? Time for a new GM in my opinion.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes are looking for a defenceman? Maybe they shouldn't have traded Faulk in the off-season :facepalm:

This is why Carolina has only made the playoffs once in the past, what, 13 years? Time for a new GM in my opinion.

Uh, they just got a new GM just over a year ago genius. And a new owner, a new head coach, new assistant coaches, new AHL coach, new scouts, etc.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
The best Trade we sill make is Trading Nino out for Williams then shuffling the lines as follows:

Aho - Tevo - Svech

Williams - Staal - Fogel

Necas - Dzingle - Haula

Wallmark - Martinook - McGinn

No harm the PK, Sevch becomes more dangerous and all lines are soild.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
The best Trade we sill make is Trading Nino out for Williams then shuffling the lines as follows:

Aho - Tevo - Svech

Williams - Staal - Fogel

Necas - Dzingle - Haula

Wallmark - Martinook - McGinn

No harm the PK, Sevch becomes more dangerous and all lines are soild.

LA will take Nino off your hands. Nino for Campbell + ?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Yes, they should have kept Faulk so that he could walk for nothing as a free agent this summer since there was no way in hell they would have given him the contract the blues did.

You’re obviously very smart - you should probably be a GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad