Speculation: Canes to make more moves

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Oh, I admit, the scenario wasn't the best, but in reality I was just trying to figure out a way to get rid of some salary, If and that would be a big If, Reimer were part of the Trade We'd give up a lot. But I wouldn't mind Saros as a backup he is cheaper at 1.5 than Reimer.

At a minimum it would cost us a 1st and 2 seconds plus to get Ekholm, but would it be worth it?

Depends what the "plus" is.

Setting value aside for a moment, would Ekholm take the Canes from a wild card team to a cup contender? Probably not without improving the Canes goaltending situation. Mrazek went on an insane run 2nd half of last year and 2 weeks ago, I was in the camp of "Goalies haven't been the problem" so far this year, but I'm not sure the Canes could win a cup with the goaltenders they have. Still, I'd like Carolina to have a better #3/4 than Gardiner/Edmunson.

If we could get Ekholm for a 1st, two 2nds, plus any Canes prospect Nashville wanted (clearly not Necas or Svech who are NHLrs), I think the Canes would do that move in a heartbeat. I can't see Nashville doing that though. 1) I think they would feel he's worth more than a bunch of "what-ifs" with what he has left on his deal. 2) I don't see them "blowing it up" with a roster that has has only a few guys over 30, of which only Rinne is core (Turris is 30, Bonino is 31, Irwin is 31, Rinne is 36, Hamhuis is 36). Most of their roster is still in it's prime, they just fired Lavi, and even if they did want to shed some salary/cap space, Ekholm is one of the better deals in the league.

So to answer your question, I think it would be worth it for Carolina, but don't think it would make sense for Nashville, both value-wise and team direction wise.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Would Jonathan Quick be of interest to Carolina? The Hurricanes have issues in net, Quick could be had IMO from L.A.
I doubt we would look to address our goaltending issues with a guy his age and with his recent injury issues. I'd love to get my hands on Petersen from the Kings, but I doubt they'd make him available.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think something could work

I'd try to push for an add from Carolina given that Gauthier hasn't quite shown he's NHL ready, while Georgie has proven himself as a 1B, but I think it could be a 2 for 2 sort of thing. Picks on both sides to balance.

Seems like it fills a need for both teams. Though admittedly I'm probably higher on Gauthier than some other Rangers fans.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'd try to push for an add from Carolina given that Gauthier hasn't quite shown he's NHL ready, while Georgie has proven himself as a 1B, but I think it could be a 2 for 2 sort of thing. Picks on both sides to balance.

Seems like it fills a need for both teams. Though admittedly I'm probably higher on Gauthier than some other Rangers fans.

he’s shown improvement every year.
it’s his play away from the puck is where they wanted him to work.

he’s tearing it up with the Checkers

Reactions: Tryamw

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Gauthier has not not shown he's NHL ready. The Canes are just taking a classic Detroit approach to seasoning prospects. This allows guys like Martin Necas to come in and pace a 20G / 50P full season with reasonable defensive play rather than learning the Pro game on the job.

Gauthier is a 6'4", 230 lbs power winger who is leading Charlotte in scoring and closing in on a point per game season at 22. Pretty impressive for a role that typically takes longer to develop.

I'd much rather deal NYR's 2nd round pick back to them for Georgiev. It is an interesting situation to watch with Shesterkin now coming to the big club and potentially starting tonight.

Reactions: Tryamw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Gauthier has not not shown he's NHL ready. The Canes are just taking a classic Detroit approach to seasoning prospects. This allows guys like Martin Necas to come in and pace a 20G / 50P full season with reasonable defensive play rather than learning the Pro game on the job.

Gauthier is a 6'4", 230 lbs power winger who is leading Charlotte in scoring and closing in on a point per game season at 22. Pretty impressive for a role that typically takes longer to develop.

I'd much rather deal NYR's 2nd round pick back to them for Georgiev. It is an interesting situation to watch with Shesterkin now coming to the big club and potentially starting tonight.

Seems like semantics to me, honestly, but I digress. Like I said, I'm a big fan of the kid and I could see him as a valuable piece for our team going forward. Especially once we lose Kreider. I didn't mean to come off like I was selling him short.

Personally, I don't have much of an interest in just getting a pick for Georgiev. Yeah, we're in somewhat of a tough spot with the goalie situation, but we can wait to address it until the off-season if we can't get a good "now-ish" piece. I think there are enough teams that could use Georgiev that one of them could step up and beat out the fray by offering a good prospect for him instead of a pick. I could also see him being a piece in a larger deal in the off-season.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Seems like semantics to me, honestly, but I digress. Like I said, I'm a big fan of the kid and I could see him as a valuable piece for our team going forward. Especially once we lose Kreider. I didn't mean to come off like I was selling him short.

Personally, I don't have much of an interest in just getting a pick for Georgiev. Yeah, we're in somewhat of a tough spot with the goalie situation, but we can wait to address it until the off-season if we can't get a good "now-ish" piece. I think there are enough teams that could use Georgiev that one of them could step up and beat out the fray by offering a good prospect for him instead of a pick. I could also see him being a piece in a larger deal in the off-season.

would you consider a bigger trade involving Zib and Georgiev?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
no prob, who would be available?

Georgiev and Kreider are the obvious pieces, though Kreider is of course a deadline move. Fast and Strome are less likely, but if the Rangers got a good offer, either of them could go. Buchnevich and Skjei are younger guys with plenty of potential, but are struggling with consistency.

Prospect wise, Andersson is of course available. I don't think the Rangers would cling to Kravtsov if they could get a 23-24 year old top-end player with term on their deal and had to put Vitali in the package.

I would also imagine that if the Rangers finish in the 10-14 range, they won't be completely opposed to moving their 1st if they can get a good young NHLer with it.

The Rangers invested in Panarin and Trouba. Some key guys are starting to make an impact. So they're probably looking for young NHL talent or close-to-ready talent and are willing to dip into some of the assets they've built up. The only real positions we're "set" at are RHD and goal.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Georgiev and Kreider are the obvious pieces, though Kreider is of course a deadline move. Fast and Strome are less likely, but if the Rangers got a good offer, either of them could go. Buchnevich and Skjei are younger guys with plenty of potential, but are struggling with consistency.

Prospect wise, Andersson is of course available. I don't think the Rangers would cling to Kravtsov if they could get a 23-24 year old top-end player with term on their deal and had to put Vitali in the package.

I would also imagine that if the Rangers finish in the 10-14 range, they won't be completely opposed to moving their 1st if they can get a good young NHLer with it.

The Rangers invested in Panarin and Trouba. Some key guys are starting to make an impact. So they're probably looking for young NHL talent or close-to-ready talent and are willing to dip into some of the assets they've built up. The only real positions we're "set" at are RHD and goal.

Buchnevich has always intrigued me

Reactions: bernmeister

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Johnny Gaudreau doesn't fit your needs?
No, not really. We have a good collection of forwards right now and are a bit heavy on the smaller, skilled, left handed, perimeter players. If we were going to want to add a forward at all, I'm guessing we'd be targeting a larger RHS forward like Kreider. This isn't a knock at all on Gaudreau, he's great, but it is not where the holes in our team are. In my opinion, we need a better 1A goalie to push Mrazek back to a 1b guy, and we need a top 4 LHS or RHS to play with Pesce, in that order of need as well. Georgiev would fit the goalie need perfectly given his age and the age of our team. I'd probably be willing to go as far as giving up the Rangers 2nd and a guy like Kuokkanen as a prospect to get him.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Most of our issues right now stem from the fact our goalies are trash. You get us someone who is top 15 starter quality in this league, and everything changes for us. I know we have a reputation for not having the best offensive firepower, but we are scoring goals, and we're scoring against good teams. But man, we just cannot buy a timely save anymore. The last 3 or 4 games we've given up multiple goals in the opening minutes of a game and we're playing from behind the rest of the way. Both Mrazek and Reimer are struggling badly right now. And really, goaltending going to shit was the reason the ECF went sideways like it did for us last year, when the Bs would rattle off a few quick cheap goals after we had gained sustained momentum.

So at this point, any trade we make has to be for an established starter. Otherwise, its just not worth it, especially for a rental.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

It isn't very realistic is it? Calgary isn't going to trade Gaudreau for a pile of futures while they are in a Playoff spot. Plus the Canes are loaded up with slight, skill players in Teravainen, Aho, Necas, and Dzingle. On top of that the trade removes two of the Canes best "grit + skill" forwards in Nino and Gauthier.

Of course the Canes would love to add Gaudreau at minimal cost to the current NHL group. But I can see why he isn't a great roster fit.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Ignoring value (as I don't think Calgary would do that), Gaudreau is clearly a skilled winger that would help any team, I think what he means is LW is the least area of need on the entire team. Svech, Nino, Dzingle, Foegele, Martinook, McGinn, are all LW. Heck, even Teravainen is a LH shot playing RW. Until Williams signed, Necas was the only RH shot of all the forwards. Canes needs are much more: Better goaltending, #4D, C depth, RW.

On top of that, the Canes already are soft and Nino is one of the few guys in the top 9 that goes to the net and is physical there.

Again, no doubt Gaudreau would be a plus on this team, but if the Canes are going to be spending those sort of assets, I'd rather they spend them elsewhere. In 2 years, they probably wouldn't be able to afford Gaudreau either with Svech and Dougie needed BIG raises.

EDIT: Other's beat me to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad