Speculation: Canes to make more moves

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Waddell says we have around 5-6m we could add at the deadline, but bonuses for next season will create cap issues.

We have a goaltending issue, we probably should move out Reimer.

We have 2 1sts (ours and TO),2 2nds (ours and NYR); and 2 3rds (ours and Buffalo).

We probably could move a defenseman not named Slavin, Hamilton, Pesce

RHS forward and Goalie upgrade.

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
Who on Defense to Winnipeg. Jets would have to send salary back

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Tyler Toffoli($2.3) + Alec Martinez($2) .... Kings will retain 50% on all final sales!:thumbu:

Edit: Jack Campbell can be thrown in as well

Reactions: YP44

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Williams is the RHS forward. The issue now is 2nd pairing defense, if someone doesn't grab on to that spot next Pesce in the coming weeks. Goaltending is something that should be looked at it, but Waddell has been more open about acquiring a defenseman.

Neither Edmundson or Gardiner have cut it beside Pesce?

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Edmundson is too slow and makes poor decisions. Gardiner has struggled early, but in fairness, so did Dougie Hamilton until about January last year. New team, new system. Two of Gardiner's best two games have been his last two so I'm hoping he's getting accustomed to his teammates and systems now.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Would be nice if Detroit can work a deal for one of Carolina's first rounders. Not sure if we have anything of interest for them though

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Edmundson is too slow and makes poor decisions. Gardiner has struggled early, but in fairness, so did Dougie Hamilton until about January last year. New team, new system. Two of Gardiner's best two games have been his last two so I'm hoping he's getting accustomed to his teammates and systems now.

Here is hoping, Carolina and Colorado are my dark horses in each conference for a Cup.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Williams is the RHS forward. The issue now is 2nd pairing defense, if someone doesn't grab on to that spot next Pesce in the coming weeks. Goaltending is something that should be looked at it, but Waddell has been more open about acquiring a defenseman.
Petry maybe? Only problem with that is he's also a RHD

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Petry maybe? Only problem with that is he's also a RHD

IMO the Canes best deadline addition would be a 2nd pair RHD. Brett Pesce played the best hockey of his career last year on the left side next to Justin Faulk. I'd prefer Vatanen though as a rental. Petry will likely cost more than the Canes will shell out for a short-term piece.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Those feeling antsy about Gardiner are more concerned about where his skating is than impatient about how he's adapting to the system. He looked better yesterday, but he was laboring for weeks. You can live with the hiccups defensively, but he needs to be the guy that skates the full 200 to generate offense.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Could see them with varying interest in the following to upgrade their 2nd pairing and/or in net:

-Martinez
-Dillon
-Vatanen
-Georgiev (sp?)
-Lehner

They appear set up front, but if an injury or 2 or a true hockey trade presents itself, I could see them interested in:

-Pageau
-Anathansiou
-Johnsson or Kapanen, if either is made available
-Granlund (NAS)
-Kase

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they make no moves. They have depth up front, and Gardiner has been improving over the past few games next to Pesce. Right now, I think the only glaring weakness they have is in goal.

I be mildly surprised if they moved one of their 1sts prior to the deadline for anything less than a young player with term. I don’t see either 1st moved for a rental, I’d also be surprised if they moved one of their 2nds for a rental. I think all picks will be in play, but only for trades that would help them now and later, i.e.-hockey trades. I’d also think prospects-wise, Bean and Gauthier are on the table.

From a cap perspective, they’d more than likely have to include Reimer in any deal for a goalie and either TVR or Edmundson (both on expiring deals) in any trades for D. I’d also think they’d be willing to listen on either TVR or Edmundson for picks or like roster players. I doubt they deal any forwards off their current roster.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How will bonuses create cap issues next season when Marleau, Edmondson, TVR, Haula, and Faulks retention come off the books while having 3 rfa to extend which none require massive cap hits. Combined those 3 should total the Marleau dead cap hit.

Svech can hit his bonuses.

If Hamilton and Pesce are the main RHD then Carolina would probably eye a LHD to be in the top 4.

Martinez in LA makes the most sense here. LA can take back an expiring contract or retain to make the deal work.

goaltending that’s more interesting.
Lehner and Crawford are both UFA. Chicago would retain on them rather than take Reimer back to make it work. Hawks had the space to afford 2 big goalie contracts because Strome and DCat are in their elc this season. They start new deals next year so need the space so if they go sign a $5-6 mill goalie I don’t think they want a $3.4 mill back up.

Canucks would either have to fall out of the race or after having opened negotiations with Markstrom his demands are way too much for them for them to move him by the TDL.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
With Williams back if Carolina added Martinez I may have to cheer for them in playoffs.

Martinez for 2nd + edmundson (cap purposes)
or
Martinez for Fleury + 3rd (Carolina deals with Cap issues elsewhere)

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
With Williams back if Carolina added Martinez I may have to cheer for them in playoffs.

Martinez for 2nd + edmundson (cap purposes)
or
Martinez for Fleury + 3rd (Carolina deals with Cap issues elsewhere)

Looks fair.

How much gas does Martinez have left in the tank? Could he hang in an aggressive, up-tempo system?

Carolina doesn't need a guy to carry a middle-pairing. The desire is a someone that can be quietly effective in a true #4-type role. Think a modern day Johnny Oduya.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Looks fair.

How much gas does Martinez have left in the tank? Could he hang in an aggressive, up-tempo system?

Carolina doesn't need a guy to carry a middle-pairing. The desire is a someone that can be quietly effective in a true #4-type role. Think a modern day Johnny Oduya.

I think he definitely has enough left to do that this year...next year maybe a gamble

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad