Confirmed with Link: Canes Sign Claesson

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Charlotte is going to be utterly loaded again this season, especially on defense. Bean, Priskie, Forsling, Claesson, McKeown, Sellgren, Lintuniemi, Wood is almost certainly better than Ottawa's NHL defense, even with a waiver claim or two. I personally see McKeown winning a job in camp, as well.

How?

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Faulk - TVR

are all locks. TVR may be injured, but then you've got Fleury, Forsling, Bean, and now Claesson competing for that 6th spot (7th once Fleury comes back). Even if they trade Faulk, McKeown's more caught in a numbers game than he's ever been, and that's saying something.

I agree with the rest of your post, but honestly seeing it spelled out that way makes me think a trade has to be in the works. Even if we lose a player or two to waivers, that list of 8 players labelled for Charlotte is too damn long. Wonder if a trade involving Bean or flipping Forsling is in the works.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
NHL D who played a good part of the season (20+gms) in the NHL last year - Slavin, Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce, TVR, Gardiner, Claesson, Forsling

CAR D who played less than 20 NHL games last year-Fleury, Bean

D who could theoretically push for a spot - Priskie, Sellgren, Mckeown

That's 13 D...not counting Wood, Fitzgerald or the Linteiemei guy

Fleury/Forsling/Claesson are not waiver exempt. I'd be surprised if Forsling or Fleury were not claimed if demoted.

Something gotta give...that Faulk trade any minute now...right?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
How?

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Faulk - TVR

are all locks. TVR may be injured, but then you've got Fleury, Forsling, Bean, and now Claesson competing for that 6th spot (7th once Fleury comes back). Even if they trade Faulk, McKeown's more caught in a numbers game than he's ever been, and that's saying something.

I personally see TVR on LTIR to start the year, that's why. With a D core this loaded, they can take their sweet time to have TVR ready and get the best possible Faulk trade return, so they can run something like this:

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Fleury-Faulk
McKeown
One of Claesson or Forsling if they decide on two defensemen in the 3-man bench

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Forsling and Forsberg always struck me as just 2 contracts coming back to get rid of De Haan. I doubt either ever plays for the Canes.

I actually see Forsberg as a guy that they got for their goaltending depth in case Reimer is godawful. Forsling to me either shocks everyone and fights his way to a job or gets traded/claimed by Ottawa.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I remember being decently impressed by Claesson during the 2017 playoffs, but it seems like his career has regressed since then.

Another good option for the bottom pairing or 7th d-man role though.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I remember being decently impressed by Claesson during the 2017 playoffs, but it seems like his career has regressed since then.

Another good option for the bottom pairing or 7th d-man role though.

Analytically speaking, Claesson's been rather solid defensively even during these last couple of years with the rest of the league ignoring him. It was, put it this way, not a great move by the Sens back then in not qualifying him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad