Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Calvin de Haan 4 years 18.2M

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Svechnikov and Necas combining for 40 as rookies barely offsets the 39 Skinner and Ryan put up. de Haan averages ~3 goals per 82 games and Hamilton put up 17 last season; that barely offsets the 18 Hanifin and Faulk combined for. Lindholm to Ferland adds 5 goals. The end result of all of the major lineup swaps in that hypothetical is 8 goals. That still puts Carolina below the median.

Some on this board continue to look at this from a Goals Scored -- and *only* Goals Scored -- perspective, and it just doesn't make sense. Going from Hanifin/Faulk to deHaan/Hamilton is worth a *lot* more than two goals, if you consider both ends of the rink.

There's just no way to make any kind of judgement without looking at the whole picture. And don't even get me started on how many goals we *won't* give up if we're not employing Skinner and Ryan anymore. Let me put it to you this way, Svech and Necas do *not* have to combine for 40 to offset them.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
defense is obvious, but forwards depend on whether hcrba wants to match lines or just roll 4 lines. putting williams with staal and sending them out against top comp is a bad idea. but hcrba and the brain trust spoke disparagingly of "x's and o's". but pitts, wash, phily would love to get giroux, ovie kuznetsov, crosby or malkin or kessel against necas rask willians.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think one thing to consider with potential lineups is that we have no clue what Brind’Amour is going to prefer with his lines. Seems pointless to speculate when we don’t really know what the coach is thinking and 2 main roster pieces are likely to be moved.
Not to mention, as I've said before, Bill Peters may have been on the high end of line shuffling, but every coach does it. There will be many many many line combinations over the course of the season between trying to find the right combination at the right time and injuries.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Prior to last year, CDH played in 90% of possible games in 3 years. That's not bad for a "injury-prone" guy. Many players have 1 major injury in their career, so him having his last year doesn't make him "injury-prone" - by the looks of available injury reporting, all his other missed days were "day-to-day" type injuries.
He has hurt the same shoulder 3 times in his career each time requiring surgery. It's not a day to day thing. When he injures it it is season ending type thing. Doeant mean it's gunna happen again. I woulda signed him for that price in a heart beat.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think one thing to consider with potential lineups is that we have no clue what Brind’Amour is going to prefer with his lines. Seems pointless to speculate when we don’t really know what the coach is thinking and 2 main roster pieces are likely to be moved.

There's also a prospects tournament, training camp and exhibition season still to come. Guys are going to play themselves on (Bean? Foegele?) or off (Rask? PDG? Fleury?) the team and they're going to develop chemistry that nobody expects. I think guessing lines is an exercise in futility, but I guess it's summer.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Honestly, unless we're bringing in a solid forward in the Skinner or Faulk trades, or a high end #1G, then I'd rather we just hang on to Skinner at this point. Of course, if someone like Nylander or even Saad is out there for us I'd make the move.

Otherwise if we're moving Skinner for futures might as well do it at the deadline and use max retention to maximize our return.

I'm really, really interested to see what a properly motivated Skinner does. Contract year, Brindy holding his feet to the fire to keep him engaged every shift- I don't want to trade him at all. The only reason I would consider it is the expiring contract- but if he's vetoing trades, he's at least somewhat interested in playing for this franchise. So let's see if lighting a fire under him and holding him to account makes him play like the player that looked like the defacto captain of this team two years ago. If anyone can make Skinner play like that, it'd be Rod. And if he does play like that, back the Brinks truck up to his door for a new contract. If he doesn't? Well, somebody will overpay at the deadline. Will it be a comfortable situation for Skinner, especially to start the season? No, it won't be. But I don't want him comfortable. I want him playing like he's up against the wall with something to prove. I want him to play mad.

Faulk? Faulk I think we should move for a goalie. I think he can easily recover his game with the right conditioning, and I'm sure he's been making the right physical tweaks this offseason, but given our defensive depth he's expendable to fill the only big, high value hole the lineup still has.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Some on this board continue to look at this from a Goals Scored -- and *only* Goals Scored -- perspective, and it just doesn't make sense. Going from Hanifin/Faulk to deHaan/Hamilton is worth a *lot* more than two goals, if you consider both ends of the rink.

There's just no way to make any kind of judgement without looking at the whole picture. And don't even get me started on how many goals we *won't* give up if we're not employing Skinner and Ryan anymore. Let me put it to you this way, Svech and Necas do *not* have to combine for 40 to offset them.

This is a very crude way of doing it, but the sum of Carolina’s offensive and defensive rank last year was 45. The only playoff team close was New Jersey at 32; Columbus followed at 27. If the goal scoring is static, the defense will have to be in the Top 10 to get to New Jersey’s level. Is that happening with Darling and Mrazek in net?

Letting in fewer goals is important, but the team needs to score more as well. 23rd in GF without the team defense to compensate will not get them to where they want to go.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
3 rookies in the Top 6 is asking for trouble. And if Ferland is another Tlusty/LaRose situation (3rd liner producing on a top line because his linemates carried), then our Top 6 is basically Aho, TT half the time, and 4 question marks.
Call that the 3rd line and Staals line the 2nd line (because staals line will get more ES TOI anyway) and problem solved. Ferland, Necas, Svechnikov becomes a sheltered 3rd line:dunno:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
There's also a prospects tournament, training camp and exhibition season still to come. Guys are going to play themselves on (Bean? Foegele?) or off (Rask? PDG? Fleury?) the team and they're going to develop chemistry that nobody expects. I think guessing lines is an exercise in futility, but I guess it's summer.

Summer is for dreaming. :)

Remember when we were cranked to get Stanley Cup champion goaltender Scott Darling?

Good times, good times.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
reading these threads, I find myself agreeing with Kev a lot and viewing his posts as being a voice of reason (even with the novels). WTF is going on here?
giphy.gif

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
reading these threads, I find myself agreeing with Kev a lot and viewing his posts as being a voice of reason (even with the novels). WTF is going on here?
I think the franchise is finally making some moves of significance instead of standing pat year after year with a shitty hand and telling us it's great.
Except for a few, I think most of us are happy with Waddell so far. I know I certainly am.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Waddell is taking our strength and building upon it. By adding the defensive pieces we did, we made a quality player like Faulk completely expendable, which we should be able to leverage to get help at center or goalie.

This kind of forward thinking was simply beyond the scope of reasoning for Francis. I shit you not, ESPN said this signing was, and I quote "the rich got richer". When the f*** was the last time someone said that about this franchise.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Not to mention, as I've said before, Bill Peters may have been on the high end of line shuffling, but every coach does it. There will be many many many line combinations over the course of the season between trying to find the right combination at the right time and injuries.

I seem to recall Paul Maurice being the master of line juggling in that awesome experience that was the season of 2009-2010.

Reactions: Unsustainable

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
If the info about Faulk having a 15-team no trade list is true, I’m pretty positive he’s not going to Ottawa.

In fact if he had a 1-team no trade list I’d be pretty positive he’s not going to Ottawa.

I never said anything about Faulk going to Ottawa though, the post I quoted had Faulk for Saad. I'd do that or Nino, then trade Skinner for either futures or a goalie. Trade futures to Ottawa for Duchene and extend him.

Aho Duchene TT
McGinn Staal Williams
Saad/Nino Necas Svechnikov
Ferland Rask Zykov
Martinook

Seems really deep on forward to me, and lots of chances for guys to move up and down the lineup

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Here's the structure of the contract per CapFriendly:

18-19: $4M
19-20: $4.7M
20-21: $4.1M
21-22: $5.4M

No signing bonuses.

What is the benefit of structuring a deal like this vs just doing $4.55M per year? As a player I would think the more front loaded a deal is the better but what benefit does this provide to a team?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
What is the benefit of structuring a deal like this vs just doing $4.55M per year? As a player I would think the more front loaded a deal is the better but what benefit does this provide to a team?
In this particular contract format, it's pretty hard to say. Only Waddell can really say why it's structured like that. I'm guessing it has to do with long term planning specifics with other contracts coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad