Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Calvin de Haan 4 years 18.2M

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
What is the benefit of structuring a deal like this vs just doing $4.55M per year? As a player I would think the more front loaded a deal is the better but what benefit does this provide to a team?

If van Riemsdyk were to be traded outright and no other moves were made, the Canes would enter Opening Night with an NHL player payroll near $66.5 mil or about $6.5 mil above last season. At that level, I wouldn't be surprised if the organization is in the red. de Haan's structure helps minimize that loss.

The big money year in 21-22 is interesting, though. Svechnikov and Necas will be on their 2nd contracts and Hamilton his 1st UFA contract at that point. That's Slavin's max money year as well.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
If van Riemsdyk were to be traded outright and no other moves were made, the Canes would enter Opening Night with an NHL player payroll near $66.5 mil or about $6.5 mil above last season. At that level, I wouldn't be surprised if the organization is in the red. de Haan's structure helps minimize that loss.

The big money year in 21-22 is interesting, though. Svechnikov and Necas will be on their 2nd contracts and Hamilton his 1st UFA contract at that point. That's Slavin's max money year as well.

Banking on a lockout in 21-22?

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Just a slight buzzkill here, but Pesce is generating a lot more interest than Faulk. We could strike while the iron is hot on him and slide Faulk back into the top 4. Not what I'd do, but more possible today.
Nooooo! Faulk has to be the one go. He's headed for UFA and will want way more than he's worth. Pesce is better, and is on a good long term contract. TD/DW also seem to want Faulk gone with the rest of the older youth crop to change the culture, and I agree. We will get enough for Faulk to make us better, just need to wait for the right situation to come along. We need to be patient. We're on the right track now. I'm very surprised and happy with what DW has done so far. Except for goalie, but that probably couldn't be helped. I'm glad so many haters will have to eat their nasty comments about TD soon. :razz:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What is the benefit of structuring a deal like this vs just doing $4.55M per year? As a player I would think the more front loaded a deal is the better but what benefit does this provide to a team?

Lately the SPCs have taken a serious dip in salary for the projected lockout years 20 and 22. Maybe the teams are getting conscious about that as time draws near and this was the max "lockout protection" de Haan could manage to get.

Look at the Tavares' alternating big year small year setup: it just happens that 20 and 22 are the lean years. The zigzag is prolly for the looks, and maybe it's easier to plan around for the team like this.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
It's basically the typical Carolina Hurricanes backloaded contract except there's a dip in 20-21 for a potential lockout (obviously this is something the player would want to protect his earnings). Slavin also has a dip that year, making $3.9M that season with the next smallest salary in his contract being 5.2M.

Darling's contract is one of the few frontloaded contracts I can ever recall the Hurricanes signing. They almost always do backloaded deals or the same salary every year.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Maybe banking on losing him in the expansion draft?
possibly, but if it's after 2019 2020 season:
necas bean and svech exempt
aho tt staal slavin pesce hamilton cdh extra spot (skinner faulk fleury??) goalie

on topic: cdh hamilton >>> fleury faulk ainec. we won't have to throw slavin laced with pheromones to the wolves anymore. roll 3 d pairs and be just fine. really surprised me that dundon dipped into fa and cdh came here (must enjoy camping, there's a spot literally 3 left turns from i 40 east out of pnc where you can camp right on the beach)

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Agree. I don't think we should sell low on him. I mean FFS we're talking about a guy who routinely scores as many goals as a solid forward does. One crappy season doesnt mean you get rid of him. Just strip that C off of him, give it to Williams and let him get back to launching bombs from the point.

That bring said. if either him and/or Skinner can be used to get that #1C, then pull the trigger. But absent that, then keep him.
I feel the same way.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
This from Kevin weekes last night: “
Not difficult to conclude that with no negotiations with @BlueJacketsNHL Bobrovsky won’t be with CBJ beyond his contact, if not sooner”

If they trade Panarin, perhaps we can send Skinner there in some way for Bob?
Very interesting. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we got him as one of our goalies though.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Very interesting. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we got him as one of our goalies though.

In NHL 17, when Bob hit free agency I had to pay him 10 mil a year x 5 to get him to sign with the Canes, LOL.

If we managed to get him IRL I'd probably writhe around on the ground like a pentacostle or something.

Reactions: Unsustainable

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
If Bob is truly available we have to be in on him. Of course he’s in our division though so it’s going to be slightly hard to make that happen via trade this year. And I’m slightly afraid to know what kind of UFA contract he’d ask for, we all see how that Carey Price contract looks now.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
I believe they were different shoulders, and 2 of them in Juniors, one almost 10 years ago. I think he'll be fine.

He has hurt the same shoulder 3 times in his career each time requiring surgery. It's not a day to day thing. When he injures it it is season ending type thing. Doeant mean it's gunna happen again. I woulda signed him for that price in a heart beat.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If you're a goalie, why wouldn't you want to play behind a defense set up like this:
Slavin-Pesce
Hamilton-DeHaan
Minimal Minutes-Who Cares

That setup should make any goalie's life incredibly easy. Behind a defense like that, any guy who has legit NHL talent should be able to have a bounce back year. Any quality goalie should be able to put up Vezina numbers. You would think this should make us attractive for any goalie in free agency, which looks to be ripe with goalies next year (which is why that 1 year contract for Mrazek was good).

If we can move Skinner and Faulk for a 1C, suddenly you're talking about a roster that is a 1G away from a possible window of contention legitimately opening for this team.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
If Bob is truly available we have to be in on him. Of course he’s in our division though so it’s going to be slightly hard to make that happen via trade this year. And I’m slightly afraid to know what kind of UFA contract he’d ask for, we all see how that Carey Price contract looks now.

Yeah that's why I'm skeptical of both Bob and Varly. Both need to be signed after age 30 and it probably won't be cheap. Seems like it could end up a Price light contract situation

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wouldn’t pay out any 7-8 year contract for over 5-6 a year on virtually any 30 year old goalie. I don’t care who it is. I don’t care if he’s fresh off a winning a Vezinza and a cup.

Ps....last I read Bob was trying to get to 10 mill a year long term.

Just no. Hell no. No thank you. No. Nope nope nope nope nope.

Last edited:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Ya know, even with the wonder twins — Jaccob & Brett — our defense wasn’t all that great last year. Maybe having an average D will cause us to see better goaltending, who knows. Darling still has issues with his mechanics, but stranger things have happened...right?

I’m delusional, I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad