Speculation: Canes roster building thread 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
PDG seems to have a more natural touch on the puck than Mcginn, though Mcginn is a more natural fit as a banger. We've been so short on wings I don't think its unreasonable they both make it, depending on how aggressive RF is this off season. If Lindy moves to center there's another spot open.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I loved feisty 3rd/4th line Chad LaRose. I hated 1st/2nd line "scorer" Chad LaRose. This is more of a JR issue than anything else. It's kind of like taking me and putting me in the Miss Universe Pageant. I'm sure I'd be over my head...and I am a dude.

JR paid him as a 20 goal scorer, and they slotted him as such in the lineup. I think Rosey either believed he was a scorer, or they told him he had to play as a scorer. After that, he wasn't the pest that everyone fondly remembers.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
With the cap space available, I really think one of the top 6 forward spots will come from a cap dump trade. Some team has a quality player who has negative value because of his contract. If it isn't for too many years, GMRF can take that contract and another asset (you know, for taking that negative asset). This continues the gathering of assets, fills a much needed forward slot, and there is cap space to do it. It really would work in the case where the player had a higher cap hit than the actual salary dollars left on the books. Teams that spend to the cap care more about the cap hit than the dollars. We don't roll that way. It's all about the Benjamins.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
As for the "mean streak" question, Faulk definitely has that aspect to his game, where he's had enough and just hulks out. The fight he had with Lupul a couple years ago is a good example, Lupul took a swipe at him away from the puck and Justin flipped out and gave him a well-earned beating. That thing with Weiss is another good example, Faulk won't look to start stuff but push it too far and he'll step in.

I could see Slavin develop that same sort of thing, especially if he continues to be a 24-25 minute type. If you're on the ice that much as a d-man you kinda have no choice or people will start trying to take advantage of you, and Slavin doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's happy to let anybody get the best of him.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
We apparently have completely different views of Slavin's temperament. Maybe he'll smite opponents down with the good word?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I mean, there are different levels of tough. I don't think he's ever going to run around beating people to a pulp, but if he keeps drawing top minutes some grit is bound to turn up.

Adam Burt was a big Jesus freak but he would absolutely throw down with the best of them when he had to. He would lose more than he won but he definitely wasn't scared to stick up for his guys.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I like to picture Slavin stealing pucks: "Sorry, thank you"
or weaving through defenders in transition: "Excuse me, God bless"

But really, if that is the reason he looks so damn confident with the puck every time he touches it then more power to him. Let him keep on keepin on. Often times being more physical and nasty detracts from other areas of a player's game.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I like to picture Slavin stealing pucks: "Sorry, thank you"
or weaving through defenders in transition: "Excuse me, God bless"

:biglaugh:

And I didn't mean to imply that you can't be religious and a tough guy (maybe I did a bit), but Slavin has never come across (to me) as the type with any sort of mean streak.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Re: mean streak

I see more of that potentially coming from Brett Pesce. Kid needs about 10-15 lbs and he's got the ability to lay the body on people. He's also quick enough where that won't necessarily take him out of position either. That's the thing with Faulk. He will put the selective hit on people but he's really concerned with trying not to get out of position....unless he has to keep Ron Hainsey from scoring on us.:naughty:

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
for you guys who saw him play this year i would like to know if Nordstrom got a legit chance to become a top 6 player?or he is a 3rd-4th liner for is career?

Thanks!

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
my fave Nordstrom play

I like his versatility, his two-way, and for such a frail-looking guy, he plays a pretty tough game. I really don't believe he'll ever be a top 6 guy but I like him a lot for a career 3rd/4th liner since he can do a little bit of everything and play all the forward positions.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised if he gets overpaid a la Bickell and Pisani based on a successful playoff.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Yeah, if we're paying someone $5 million, I want someone a hell of a lot better than Troy Brouwer. No offense to Troy, but he's not worth that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad