GDT: CANES @ PREDS

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
An expansion team that could select unprotected players from every team in the NHL and they were the only ones doing it that year. I cannot agree with your statement.

This is an awfully poor argument, it does nothing to address your assertion that they were a "stacked" team.

Here are some thoughts from this 8-page thread prior to last season. I've only skimmed through a couple pages, but suffice to say, the general consensus was that they had a weak roster.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-vegas-golden-knights.2386947/

Which goes to show you that a good system and good coaching can enhance perception of "talent."

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I don't think it's out of the question that someone up top has told svechnikov "don't go getting hurt". An injury would be the only thing keeping him off the roster and they are clearly putting a lot of eggs in his basket. They don't want them getting scrambled in a game that doesn't count for anything

There are very few things in this life of which I am certain. And as I get older and watch what's happening in the world, that number continues to shrink. But one thing I can say with absolute certainty is that *nobody* in the Hurricanes organization has had a discussion with Andrei Svechnikov about trying *not* to get hurt.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
This is an awfully poor argument, it does nothing to address your assertion that they were a "stacked" team.

Here are some thoughts from this 8-page thread prior to last season. I've only skimmed through a couple pages, but suffice to say, the general consensus was that they had a weak roster.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-vegas-golden-knights.2386947/

Which goes to show you that a good system and good coaching can enhance perception of "talent."

I also failed to point out that they have a very good coach. Florida really dropped the ball when they fired him.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I did not mean to sound harsh earlier, I was agitated at my kids more than anything and that may have come across.

My only point was that if coaching/system/etc are really good and everybody buys in, then you won't likely be all that limited by having 5 rookies anymore than you would if they were veterans of roughly equal talent level. At least not when it comes to regular season goals and making the playoffs if that is the expectation. Deep playoff runs, that may be another issue.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
How good is he? I've heard HF going nuts over him, but seen him only twice and neither time has he stood out. Small sample clearly so what do you expect?
He was slightly phenomenal in KHL last season. 19+17 in 39 games. 6+1 in 11 playoffs games. Most efficient 18 y.o. in KHL playoffs all-time. Broke 18 y.o. goal record in January and eventually the point record too.

On 23 August 2017, Tolvanen scored his first career KHL hat trick in his season debut against HC Dinamo Minsk,[6] giving him the youngest hat trick in KHL history at 18 years 123 days. Tolvanen scored his second career KHL hat trick on 25 September 2017 in his eleventh game of the KHL season against HC Vityaz.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I’m willing to go so far as to say that Darling didn’t even look terrible. Looked more composed than his first game. I still like Mrazek and Ned as better options.

I think the key word is composed. He looked like he had his shit together, was confident, and seemed to actually understand some of the basic techniques of the position. All those were missing last year.

Damn Las Vegas. We let them steal Connor Brickley from us. Set us back at least 5 years.

Not to mention forcing us to keep a wild Lee Stempniak. :sarcasm:

Vegas also didn't have MAF for a chunk of the regular season and had to use like their 3rd/4th goalies

Damn, wish we'd been forced to use our 3rd and 4th goalies....maybe Vegas was really on to something.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
According to preds forum, the team got bag skated today. Lavi must have been pissed.

Lavi knows how hard RBA worked, so now he’s going to beat his team into shape

I feel so sorry for these millionaires having to skate hard for a short amount of time.

Am glad the baby Canes are the cause of their extreme discomfort.

From what I saw, Pete could use a few hard skates himself.

Good thing it was just a preseason game. Getting humbled by the Hurricanes in a regular-season game gets you left on the sidewalk waiting for a taxi to the airport.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Real time footage of Pete watching the bag skate

giphy.gif

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I've never seen a line skate where the skaters actually stride all the way until they either have to turn or skate over the line. They all take however many strides then stand up and coast. Obviously you're not going to continue to stride once you've hit top speed, but rarely do I see skaters hit top speed.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I’m sure I can’t, but it’s absolutely true. Boys don’t fear injury. Anyone with kids back me up on this.

Having coached kids his age for the past 8 years, I know there is zero concern of the hazards of life in general, much less the sport they play. Hell, one year we lost a kid for the postseason because he busted his ankle...turns out he was at a party where he and half the team were having a competition to see how far they could long jump off a trampoline into a sand pit.

Concern about injury is for old farts, not kids. Svechnikov thinks he’s bulletproof.
All depends on the mental makeup of the player. I played soccer at a fairly high level for a while and took some injuries like a separated shoulder and likely had some mild concussions. Those didn't phase me one bit. But I also had broken my arm and knew by age 15 that my knees were going to shit and THOSE really f***ed with my game and my head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad