GDT: Canes @ Oilers - and then things got worse

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Harrison is still a fine bottom pair defenseman. I just don't understand why every coach continuously overslots him. He is the Char of defense.

I'm guessing it's because they really don't have much of a choice. In previous years, the choices were guys like Corvo, Sanguinetti, McBain, MAB, Gleason, etc.... so by default, he ended up there.

Last year, for the most part Harrison was a bottom pairing guy because Sekera-Faulk and Hainsey-Bellemore/Liles turned were decent in the top 4, but that's not the case now.

Hainsey has been brutal this year, as bad, if not worse than Harrison in games I've seen. Sekera missed a few games. Faulk has been terrible at times. Liles has been injured and missed games. Bellemore isn't any better and Gleason, although better than I thought isn't much better either.

I'm not defending the coaches choices, but IMO, the reason Harrison ends up over-slotted, is because the team is loaded with bottom pairing guys and 1 or 2 of them will always be over-slotted (3-4 of them when there are injuries).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The whole d unit looks a bit over slotted so far this year. The top guys are overwhelmed again this year as a top unit, though sekera handles it better than faulk. They were separated for this one regardless but the point stands. The forwards being a weaker group plays a huge role in the struggles though, the two groups aren't working well enough together, mostly out of inexperience.

I've liked watching terry, boychuk, and Rask develop. I think boychuk played very well last night. Worked hard all game, hard on the puck, impressive back pressure. Holds the puck longer and is creating more off it. Still has his moments of being weak but he's learning where he can be effective in this league. Terry looks more and more comfortable as well. Rask looks solid, the offense will come in time. He's got his hands full with his defensive responsibilities.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
just listened to Peter's post game audio. some pecker head asked him about the slashing non-call and whether he learned something? Peters really didn't understand the question and the goof said, did you learn that no matter how bad a refs call is you shouldn't be saying anything or yapping to the ref which resulted in a bench minor. Peters sounded like WTF and just said yes then moved on.

most of these press guys are just morons. is it any wonder they say and write what they do? problem is many fans for whatever reason, whether they don't know anything about the sport, can't think for themselves or are just plain stupid, believe it and go on to repeat what they hear and read because they believe these hacks are hockey writers after all and therefore knowledgeable authorities that should know. unfortunately they tend to have power to shape and form fans and in some cases have a great impact on the careers of athletes who have dreamed since they were kids and worked hard for those dreams.

BoomBoom is right. they do it to get attention and to maintain their pathetic little jobs and it works. TRUTH is irrelevant to these guys. it's truly unethical and immoral IMO. it's all a lie. very few of these guys are honest straight shooters who have pride and recognise the power of words.

you see it all the time here at HF when it's clear posters post things that show they obviously never watch a player or team. their opinions are based on what they heard and they adamantly defend their position.

I certainly don't mind different opinions and in fact welcome them but sheeple repeating narratives without thinking for themselves really irks me. it happens in politics all the time which is infinitely more important and dangerous.

....just a real pet peeve *this rant isn't just about Semin* it has happened to many athletes and coaches, etc.. it's amazing what these simple little people can do that has the ability to have serious consequences on athletes aspirations and lives. ultimately it's really about the stupidity of consumer, the fan. Forslund and a little twit like Tripp Tracy should realize that what they do has a great influence on many people not to mention a lot of money being involved. It's really getting hard to listen to that broadcast and others aren't much better. it takes away from the experience for me personally. I wish these guys were more professional rather than company patsies and bad entertainers. I want to be entertained by the game not their ramblings and drivel about it.

I guess that's enough and I'll stop there. :rant:

/rant

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I'm kind of still of the opinion that it's still early (lots of teams and players have had poor starts in the past and still ended up with good seasons). totally new coaching staff and injuries combined have stalled things. Semin will get going, goaltending should tighten up, systems should be settled into and adjusted, etc.. I'm not going to panic yet or be too critical of anything just yet and give it some more time.
it sounds like that's what Peter's is thinking at the moment. Things may start clicking and confidence built up. everyone said at the beginning of the season that everything had to work to make the playoffs this year and so far the opposite has happened. doesn't mean things can't turn around. sure I'd like to see some different things happening and that they had done or do some different things, but it looks like all we can do is hope for the best...or keep on complaining about everything.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
unlike the fans, Francis seems quite content with Harrison. he also signed Gleason, no?

Also, lets not forget that Faulk, Hainsey and Sekera are playing like crap as well. plenty of slow starts across the roster. or is it new systems??

When you take, arguably, the 3 best defensive forwards on the team out of the line-up (Gerbe, J. Staal, and Dwyer), it's bound to have an impact on team defense. Still, the defensive gaffs seem to be more than that. Is it a new system and players not being able to adapt quickly enough? Is it the new system (and defensive coach) sucks? Is it the fact that terrible forwards means a lot more is on the defensemen? Is it just an off year (so far) for the defense? Is it all of the above?

I don't think we'll know for a while. Don't get me wrong, the talent isn't there on defense, but it is essentially the same cast of characters as last year, and they were much better last season.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
When you take, arguably, the 3 best defensive forwards on the team out of the line-up (Gerbe, J. Staal, and Dwyer), it's bound to have an impact on team defense. Still, the defensive gaffs seem to be more than that. Is it a new system and players not being able to adapt quickly enough? Is it the new system (and defensive coach) sucks? Is it the fact that terrible forwards means a lot more is on the defensemen? Is it just an off year (so far) for the defense? Is it all of the above?

I don't think we'll know for a while. Don't get me wrong, the talent isn't there on defense, but it is essentially the same cast of characters as last year, and they were much better last season.

yeah we can't say much yet. no doubt the injuries threw a monkey wrench into it and slow starts for whatever reason as well. as much as the new coaching staff has been touted, we don't know about that either. I have no great expectations but time will tell and anything can happen and things could magically turn around quickly. it's just a bit aggravating sometimes listening to all the negativity all the time so soon though.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I am consistently shocked at how much more many of you think of Faulk than I do. What are you seeing that I am not? I really mean this honestly.

My feeling right now is that our old buddy mr senile JR saddled us with one more ridiculous contract before he left. There is no way that Faulk is worth 4.8mil a year...just insanity.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I am consistently shocked at how much more many of you think of Faulk than I do. What are you seeing that I am not? I really mean this honestly.

My feeling right now is that our old buddy mr senile JR saddled us with one more ridiculous contract before he left. There is no way that Faulk is worth 4.8mil a year...just insanity.

Yes he is, at the very worst he is a #3 D. He can handle top competition. Not even close to being a bad contract.

He's struggling with consistency. He's 22 years old. It should and probably will get better over time.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

What are you talking about? Most every post in the past few GDT's have commented about how terrible he's looked. Even last year that was the case (particularly in the 2nd half of the season).

That said, I think people are over-reacting a bit also. He makes some fantastic plays and does a lot of things well, then he makes some just downright terrible plays. He's terribly inconsistent and his blunders are not subtle ones. He's not, right now, a top pairing D, but the team has no other option.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I have never been as impressed with him as many seem to be either. he is still young though and has been over slotted against the other teams best. hopefully he becomes better than last year. this year I don't put much stock in anyone's play so far.

as far as salary. I believe that anyone is "worth" whatever someone is willing to pay them. also, the contracts we see today will be peanuts soon and considering the contracts throughout the league I don't think his is out of line with what his potential may be. that said, everyone is a risk to some degree.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
USA hockey seemed to think he was ok

you can't say he's playing well and sure he is "ok". that's not the question. whatever the case may be Faulk didn't play well at all in the second half of last year and looks completely lost so far this year (this year doesn't really count yet like I said before). concerns are valid I think and I agree that some have elevated him to darn near god like status. and as an aside, if he were Semin, some would be saying he's floating now after signing his contract.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Faulk would likely benefit from not having to do so much and have such a big role. But that's not going to happen anytime soon seemingly, so we just have to live with the ups and downs until he hopefully finds his consistency. There are plenty of dmen that haven't hit their stride by this age. He play has been a net of bad this year, but there have been flashes of his good traits at times, and we have to hope he'll get his head back on straight as the year proceeds.

As for the defense, good defensive forwards being out and and good offensive forwards not being around to keep the puck in the other end both make our dmen look really bad in comparison to last year. Hopefully the dmen will look better when these forwards get back next week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad